Is there a specific 9x that's better than others?

Want to get your own 9x? Don't know where to buy one? Looking for spares?
rs2k

Is there a specific 9x that's better than others?

Post by rs2k »

I know the 9x comes in a few different brands, is there one I should look for above any other? I want to get one and am looking to use telemetry with it. I'm not sure if I want to go with a separate FrSky telemetry screen or use the screen on the 9x as the telemetry screen.

ShowMaster

Re: Is there a specific 9x that's better than others?

Post by ShowMaster »

The best I've purchased so far is the FlySky brand with the antenna mounted on the FkySky rf module. The switches seem to be stronger toggle wise and flat. The module removal is just that, unplug it and plug in another module of choice.
I think the soldering inside is better quality as well.
It even come with a printed manual for the stock firmware.
All brands work the same otherwise so it's more a price and stocking issue.
Lately I've worked on FkySky versions that have captured antenna coax and case mounted antennas like HK's 9x.
They've also been coming with a plastic raised area around the module pins to discourage module exchange. Thanks to forums users this has been found to be an easy fix so we're OK there.
I think the models are changing so fast that you should go for lowest price and what's in stock and the rest will work out just fine with the great help here. A good soldering iron, DVM, and some soldering and circuit knowledge is also a big plus and maybe more important than the brand 9x you end up with.
Start reading up on what you have in mind for your 9x and ask questions early on is also a good way to go.

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
rs2k

Post by rs2k »

Thanks for the info. The cheapest I've been able to find is here: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ware_.html

It's a turnigy 9x that comes without the module. That makes sense to me if I plan on adding a FrSky telemetry module, or does the FlySky module support telemetry?

All the different brand names are confusing to me right now.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

The FLYsky module does not support telemetry. FRsky does. If you aren't up to the task of soldering or flashing your own firmware, then look for local help. Maybe ShowMaster remembers where in the forums that topic is???
The best 9x radio -> one with custom firmware on it!
-Gohst
rs2k

Post by rs2k »

I'm up for it, and it sounds like a lot of fun. Custom firmware is something I've always been interested in. I've flashed several devices over the years. I've also done some soldering over the years, but I may not me practiced enough to solder directly to the chip like the telemetry mod needs. I don't mind soldering, but I've always been much more interested in working on the software/firmware and at the component level than and the circuitry level.

I'm considering getting the FrSky LCD for telemetry along with the FrSky DJT module right now, along with:
http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... cts_id=331

and the DIY lcd back light kit from hobbyking.

gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

There is also the smartieparts programmer option. He even has the TelemetryEZ that should be ready soon. That eliminates the need to do the tiny soldering that was necessary to complete the Frsky mod. It may be a little more money, but it is super simple to install.
-Gohst
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

You still need to solder, it does not eliminate it.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?1vw1ua
rs2k

Post by rs2k »

Does it require soldering directly to heat sensitive components? This is the part I'm afraid of. Replacing (non surface mount) caps, resistors and transistors; soldering wires and soldering to board connections points aren't any trouble for me. I'm weary of soldering directly to especially heat sensitive parts though.

What kind of benefits are there to getting something like this?

G9X v4.2 board

http://gruvin9x.com/shop/
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Best you check the supplier for all those specs.

Get the ersky board if you're thinking of a motherboard replacement.
rs2k

Post by rs2k »

Why would I want to replace the motherboard? It doesn't seem like something I need to do right off the bat, but it may be something I look into for a future project though.
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

You posted the Gruvin board. THat's what it is. A replacement Mother board. You ask yourself that.
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=994
telemetrwhatever link
rs2k

Post by rs2k »

Well, if the old one breaks, that makes sense. The board I linked was from a shortcut I saved a few weeks ago before I knew anything about the 9x. I don't really know anything about it. Are there other reasons I might want to replace the motherboard? Do the replacements offer more flash options for example? Are the replacement more solid, faster? There's a ton of information all over the web about these radios, but it's not organized well. I'm beginning my research before I start buying. The goal is to have a customizable radio to replace my aging Futaba 9Z without breaking the bank, and I think the 9x is my answer.

All the answers have been a great help so far. Thanks!
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

http://www.ersky9x.net/
This is a replacement motherboard. A few reasons I can think of to upgrade are more model storage space. Easier connections for telemetry, speaker and voice mods (there are headers for these) And some extra inputs. Just read the page at the link above.
By no means do you have to replace the stock mainboard. The telemetrEZ was designed to eliminate having to solder wires to the tiny processor pins. There are a couple of solder connections as it is now, which should be no problem for you, given what you said above. There may be a couple more solder connections on the main board. That needs a little sorting out with the prototype boards that are just going out now.
-Gohst
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

Man, Leo really has a dislike for Steven and his products. Are you just jealous that he profited from producing a product that thousands have bought and benefited from? I don't get it.

Return to “Where to buy / Spares / Modules? Selling up?”