Setting up automatic ascent/descent on a 3 position switch

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
padcom

Setting up automatic ascent/descent on a 3 position switch

Post by padcom »

Hi there,

My name is Matthias. I'm a long-time OpenTX user on Taranis 9XD+. Generally interested in long-range flights. I'm new here so please be gentle :)

When flying long range there are 5 main phases of the flight: take-off, climb, turn-around, descent and landing. Although the 1st, 3rd and 5th phase is happening pretty quickly the 2nd (climbing) and 4th (descent) are long and quite cumbersome when you need to do it manually. Of course there are options with navigation systems that would help with this but where would be the fun of taking control over what's happening, right?

So I was thinking about making a mixer that would act as a sort of configurable auto climb/descent. It'd work like that:

- when a switch (let's say SD) is in the down position the elevator would be offset by some -percent of the S1 pot.
- when a switch is in the up position the elevator would be offset by some +percent of the S1 pot.

This isn't hard to implement at all. Just a few mixer entries, and you'd be done. However...

The problem is that the moment you offset the value of the elevator then it goes beyond the max 100 (which is clipped, that's fine) but doesn't get low enough to have emergency control. Essentially the shift is not what I need - I need something a bit more sophisticated that will allow me to adjust how much difference the stick should make when the mid-point is shifted.

Or otherwise said: this would be the center point of a 3 point curve that'd be manipulated using S1 pot and the position of a switch.

Now I know that variables in curve definition are not implemented and probably never will (judging from #1433 and #6074 on Github). Is there some other way I could accomplish this?

Kilrah

Re: Setting up automatic ascent/descent on a 3 position switch

Post by Kilrah »

Add a line with an A-shaped curve and change its weight with a GVAR tied to the pot?

Return to “openTx”