SmartieParts Programmer

Want to get your own 9x? Don't know where to buy one? Looking for spares?
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

SmartieParts Programmer

Post by Rob Thomson »

The smartie programmer can be found online on s_macks website

http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... cts_id=331

This is a great programmer & backlight combo that is easy to install (solderless) and works perfectly!
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

katomic

Re: SmartieParts Programmer

Post by katomic »

It sure is!
I have bought 30 upgrade kits from Steven to bankroll my hobby. Every one of my customers are smiling!
pappyboy

Post by pappyboy »

OK. So this might be a really silly question, so I apologise in advance. I've just purchased the Smartieparts programmer and am waiting for it to arrive in the mail. I take it that once I have installed it I need to download and install er9X. Is that correct? If so, I can't find any instruction on how to do this with the Smartieparts programmer. I'd be very grateful for any help.

Thank you
Ockert

Post by Ockert »

pappyboy wrote:OK. So this might be a really silly question, so I apologise in advance. I've just purchased the Smartieparts programmer and am waiting for it to arrive in the mail. I take it that once I have installed it I need to download and install er9X. Is that correct? If so, I can't find any instruction on how to do this with the Smartieparts programmer. I'd be very grateful for any help.

Thank you
We are trying to make all this information as accessable as possible at the moment.
For a start you can look at http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... nformation (our new wiki, linked top right of this window) which will help you get the latest firmware and should link you to the relevant sources.

We also have some very detailed guides on installing and using the Smartieparts at http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/Flashing_your_9x
If it is disassembled, its always better to understand! I keep telling myself that.
pappyboy

Post by pappyboy »

Ockert

Thank you fot the prompt teply. I'll check it out

pappyboy

Post by pappyboy »

Ockert,

OK. So I've reviewed those pages and there is a lot of info there. I'm a bit lost on a couple of issues though. Firstly, the flashing instructions provide an example only for someone who had done the hardwiring themselves and using a different programming card, not the smartie parts product. So, it talks about installing drivers for those cards and so on. Do I need to install drivers for the smartie parts card? It then talks about installing eePe from where you've downloaded it, but this is the first mention of eePe in the instructions. Is it different to er9X and what does it do, where can I find it to download it. There doesn't appear to be any mention of it on either of those wiki pages.

Also, is there an option to do this on a Mac? I'm sorry for the follow up questions, but just can't seem to find a single point of reference for installing the card, downloading the relevant software and then flashin the Tx. Again, I'm very grateful for any assistance anyone can offer.

Thank you.
GrootWitbaas

Post by GrootWitbaas »

Yes it can be done on mac (and no drivers needed)
You need eepe mac ver, but I need to compile the latest release at some time for erazz
I will try to do this soon. Here is the details Eepe on MAC

Eepe is the software on the PC used to adjust and update er9x
General trouble maker and wannabee Dev
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Have you checked the smartie site?

http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... =page&id=9

Steve has put together a rather nice doc detailing how to install his board.

The actually process of flashing is quite simple.

Download and install eePe

http://code.google.com/p/eepe/

This uses the USB drivers from Steves guide. It will download the latest firmware and handle the flash for you.

Rob
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
pappyboy

Post by pappyboy »

Thanks Rob. That is exacly what I was looking for. Can I ask though, Steve's instructions talk about downloading the drivers in Windows. Is there a way to do it on a Mac?

Thank you
GrootWitbaas

Post by GrootWitbaas »

No need for drivers on the Mac
I will update the mac build of eepe soon
There are also other alternatives on mac. I do all I need on my Mac, clean and easy no problems like it should be. Have a look on the links I posted above

Groot
General trouble maker and wannabee Dev
MoleHunter

Post by MoleHunter »

I've just ordered my SmartieParts board and am (im)patiently waiting for Steve to get them in stock again. Is there a way to do the firmware upgrade within Linux (mint, which is Ubuntu based) or am I just making life hard for myself?

I have a Windows XP PC too. Despite the Linux thing I'm no computer expert, so don't go talking all them technical words with me! :oops:
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

Why hard? It's all done originally on Ubuntu :) (me being a Linux geek)

Download and install the eepe .deb package from the eepe code page.
You will need to enable AVRDUDE for non root users. Just copy, paste and run the following line:

Code: Select all

sudo echo 'SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="16c0", SYSFS{idProduct}=="05dc", GROUP="adm", MODE="0666"' > /etc/udev/rules.d/10-usbasp.rules
And you're good to go.
Z

BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR!!!
What goes up... Should be controlled by a 9X!
MoleHunter

Post by MoleHunter »

Thank you- I'll give it a go and try not to brick my netbook as well as my 9x!

Return to “Where to buy / Spares / Modules? Selling up?”