Question for "original Spektrum" Transmitter owners

Like DSM2/DSMX? Want to mod your radio to support it? Post your messages here!
jaas75

Post by jaas75 »

Well let me start saying i made my DSM Mod a few months ago and i absolutely loved. (special thxs for everyone involved in making the firmware/mod/Help possible :D )

My question is how the modded transmitter compares to an original spektrum???
does it feel mushy?? is the resolution the same in practice as in specs? (according to specs the er9x mod should have the same resolution) same question an related to this is what about the response speed compared with spektrum????

Basically any difference that you can think

I ask this questions cuz i made the jump from 72mhz (optic 6) to the 2.4g world using this mod and just want to know if I'm missing something out. as i see it i have the best DX6 ever. (module taken from dx4e)

thxs for your time

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Can't say I have noticed the difference. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Kilrah

Re: Question for "original Spektrum" Transmitter owners

Post by Kilrah »

If you went for a DX7s or higher, you'd have access to the 2048 step / 11ms framerate mode (that only makes sense with high-performance digital servos). But the 1024 steps and 22ms framerate the 9x feeds the transmitter module with are just the same the DX6i or lower do send.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The 9x feeds 2048 steps, 1024 each way from the centre.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Not for DSM from what you (and the code, and the Spektrum protocol references we have) say:
MikeB wrote:The DSM stream has a number for the servo position that varies between 0 and 1023, with 512 being the centre.

kaos

Post by kaos »

I think I saw this discussion a while ago at some other forum a while ago. my question is , does it matter it is 512, 1024, 2048 in reality? After flying heli for 2-3 yrs, now I would say my finger resolution is still at the stage of 256 resolution or less. Any one can control 1/1024 of the stick that precise?
people have problem soldering the chip footing without a 20X magnifier and trying to figure out which scope to use is better. ;)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Kilrah wrote:Not for DSM from what you (and the code, and the Spektrum protocol references we have) say:
Sorry, got confused, internally er9x/ersky9x work to 2048, but reduce this to 1024 for the spektrum protocol.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

kaos wrote:After flying heli for 2-3 yrs, now I would say my finger resolution is still at the stage of 256 resolution or less. Any one can control 1/1024 of the stick that precise?
If it mattered it would not be "direct from stick", but rather mixer output. With mixes you apply curves, scale factors, offsets, which all have to be calculated. Everytime there is a rounding error that will increase with the number of mixes you cascade. If the calculation resolution is higher, you'll reduce the problem.
However where this matters mostly is in the intermediate calculation stages, so in the radio internal workings (which nobody talks about) rather than on the RF transmission. At least you can hope that a radio that sends 2048 steps will also do it's internal calculations on a 2048 step basis, so with more resolution than one that does 1024.

On the RF transmission I don't think it changes much, I've tested several servos (OK, not the highest end you can find), but they all needed between 2-4us input difference to make a "step". That's only 256-512 steps over the standard pulse range.

So... No, IMO transmitting with a resolution of half an us over RF is mostly marketing talk.
jaas75

Post by jaas75 »

thxs guys for all the answers

Return to “DSM2/DSMX Mods”