Having trouble with my beast 3d throttle input pls advice!

Like DSM2/DSMX? Want to mod your radio to support it? Post your messages here!
jaas75

Post by jaas75 »

hi guys i love my Beast 3d but i need to much throttle input to start the motor and thats not acceptable.
This is a brand new plane, im following the proper procedures (or at least i think lol :lol: )
1-take the throttle and trim to lowest position, start my transmitter bind it to the plane. everything goes great and all the input (rudder, elevator, aileron work fully proportional )except the throttle works perfect.
2- for me to get into flyable status i need to put transmitter throttle trim to maximum to get it work.

* As a note, im using er9x-r723, with a dx4e module

i made a video showing the problem, pls watch it, and tell me whats wrong and if i should return the plane??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnatENKA ... AAAAAAAAAA

thxs in advance guys, and any advice is welcome

jaas

Kilrah

Re: Having trouble with my beast 3d throttle input pls advic

Post by Kilrah »

I fly a Sbach 342 UMX, and had to set my limit settings to 65% both ways on CH1-4. Try powering up your plane, starting the motor once to arm the AS3X, then move the other channels slowly one at a time observing the servos. If the Beast behaves the same (very likely), they should actually reach their mechanical end point well before you get to the end of the stick throw, then they will just be forcing.
If it's the case, go to the limits screen and reduce throws to where they don't force anymore with the stick on the edge. 65% would likely be a good starting point, then adjust if there are small differences on yours. Set the throttle the same like on my capture.
Oh, and don't try to fly before that. It will be hairy with about twice the already high control response (ask me how I know, had to delete the model and recreate it, but forgot to set the limits again...), and you might destroy your servos if they force too much.

Oh, and don't touch the throttle trim, just leave it centered. The manual refers to the cheap TXs with mechanical trims that are easy to move during transport, and if it ends being at the top it might be too high to arm, but middle is just fine. You can even disable thr throttle trim altogether in the mixer settings, like I do for all my electric models.
Attachments
IMG_0244.jpg
Last edited by Kilrah on Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Did you calibrate the ESC to the radio??

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I just say your video.. I think that's what you need.. calibrate your ESC.. please refer to the ESC's manual or plane manual

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

There's no ESC calibration on these models (as they're only inteneded to be used with original Spektrum radios, no variation is expected). ER9X however seems to send way bigger throws than the stock Spektrum TXs.
Last edited by Kilrah on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

aah ok.. sorry for my ignorance.. normally that looks like a calibration problem

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jaas75

Post by jaas75 »

thxs guys, kilra ill try lowering the endpoints but all the other channels aileron, rud, elev. work perfect with the endpoints and well centered, the only problem is the throttle that i dont know how o solve.

It have to be the ESC cuz if i change the "mode in the Tx" and put elev in the throttle stick elevator works great

Pls guys watch the video so you can actually watch the problem and figure out something wrong or special programing in the radio i dont know .
as a note :theres no way that i know off to program the ESC on this little bird.

thxs
Last edited by jaas75 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

OK, good about the other channels.
I have watched your video. With the trim centered and throttle throws at 100%, I need to have the stick close to the middle for the motor to start (if you look at the graduations on the 9X's stick, it's just one below center), which matches your situation.
With 65% throw it starts 2 graduations below center, which is pretty normal for standard uncalibrated ESC's, one usually likes a slightly shorter throw on the throttle. If you want it to start right when you start advancing throttle, reduce lower throw even more. Then set upper throw to reach full power when the stick hits the top. As easy as that.
jaas75

Post by jaas75 »

thxs kilra ill try that as soon as i get home. thxs

any other ideas guys?
jaas75

Post by jaas75 »

kilra, i got an answer from rcgroups about the ESC throttle range. Ill try that as well as your advice.

Quote: Download the manual for the 6400LBL, and turn to page 9. It is the programming options for the esc, and it is the same for the AS3X board. You'll want to set item #3. Also you want to bind with the throttle trim already set to the lowest value.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

OK, interesting. If you can program the ESC to the TX or with a wider range, then do this rather than reducing throws, you'll have better precision. I'd still not touch the trim at though, just leave it centered unless really needed.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Well, after all it seems that I wasn't that wrong :mrgreen:

Manual. As said before, page 9.. Default throttle range is 1.2 to 1.8ms. there's another option to set it from 1.1 to 1.9 as far as I understand.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/File ... _Guide.pdf

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

I'll have to try this with my Night Vapor, it has throttle issues, but my Micro Corsair is fine... weirdness...
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I think there's quite a bit of weirdness with Spektrum...

On my Sbach and Extra 300 3D (both UMX series), with a genuine Spektrum module on my Futaba radio, all throws were perfect, however I had some issues sometimes, the servos would jitter in sequence every few seconds. I had to cycle the power to the radio a few times until it was OK. Then I received the DX4e I scavenged the module from for the 9X, and used it to fly the plane before the 9x actually arrived - on that one no jitter and throws OK, but sometimes the throttle would simply "lock", stopping the motor and being unresponsive for a couple of seconds (other servos still OK), then starting to work again. Just like that, out of nowhere, even in the middle of a flight (not fun).
Now I put the module in the 9X, no issues but I need 65% throws not to get my planes' servos to force.

Just for fun, I checked the pulse widths, full -100%/+100% throws on the 9x equate to 917us-2097us on an AR7000's servo output, which is a bit high indeed. With -65%/+65%, it's down to 1124us-1891us. Center is 1508us.

Might make sense that the UMX series micro linear servos have different throws/behavior, but then why does jaas75's Beast 3D not behave the same :|
A friend of mine has one, I might try... could be the AS3X module playing a role in there as well.
jaas75

Post by jaas75 »

kilra, i havent use the plane so much. and is my first spektrum plane and linear servos (they dont like over throws) so how do i know if besides the throttle problem i also have too much throw (theres never too much for me lol :lol: ).
all surfaces move ok with no weird sounds (high rates 100% no expo, low rates 70% expo20%)
Again i dont have any other problem so far nor weird sounds so far :) but i just want to be sure im not damaging my servos with the throws at 100% after reading your last post and the explanation you gave about being to much, got me worried :|

thxs
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Oh , and I like your Splash screen jaas75... :mrgreen:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

jaas75 wrote:how do i know if besides the throttle problem i also have too much throw (theres never too much for me lol :lol: )
Pretty easy, set your throws to 100%, hold the airplane upside down so you see the aileron servos, move the aileron stick slowly while watching the servo - if the servo hits the end or otherwise stops moving before you reach the end with the stick, you have too much throw.

Don't know exactly how the AS3X gyro stuff would affect it though. My plane doesn't have it, it's just a plain old receiver and servo. But it just looks so good :mrgreen:

jaas75

Post by jaas75 »

beatiful plane!!! i fix my avatar picture better now lol :P . im so hype to get home and try the ESC programming.
Going back in time when i binded the plane for first time and figure out the channel order in spektrum is TAER i heard lots of beeps (cuz throttle was in another input) so now im concern i messed something else like timing, pwm frequency, etc. Hope not! But anyways plane behaves ok so i guess its ok. any insight of what would be the defaults for the Beast3d in specific??

thxs
jaas75

Post by jaas75 »

well after adjusting the throttle range i can say it got so much better.
after chking the plane and throws i can confirm what kilra said about throws being to big ,70% equals the full throw in the beast 3d.
Its easy to adjust, but probly the developers of the firmware can adjust that for the next update :D .

thxs again guys for all the help
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

What is there to adjust?

Glad you got it working.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Can you make and eepe file and post it in the templates section of the forum?
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
jaas75

Post by jaas75 »

ok rob i will doit as soon as i get backhome.
cr8ative i love er9x and theres nothing wrong, what i meant by fixing the throws on the next firmware update is that the 100% of throws represent 100% instead of having to lower to 70% to avoid over throwing the little spektrum birds.
again i love my transmitter and love the firmware and all the help i have got here.

thxs

Return to “DSM2/DSMX Mods”