Smartieparts Rev2.1 disable EL driver?

General mods that are considered worth doing; regardless of the end firmware you use.
flashbang

Smartieparts Rev2.1 disable EL driver?

Post by flashbang »

Anyone Know how to disable the EL driver on the SP board? I am going the LED route and do not need the current use from the driver.
TIA

ShowMaster

Re: Smartieparts Rev2.1 disable EL driver?

Post by ShowMaster »

I think Steve (SP) is the best one to answer and I've been thinking about that for a while. Look up the ic right next to the EL pins and there is a circuit trace going to its input pin. I'm thinking just cut the trace and the EL IC will stay in its idle state and not draw significant current. I don't have a board in front of me to list the IC used. I was hoping Steve was going to issue a circuit mod to add his current limiting circuit to our older EL boards to drive the HK LEDs but no diagram or mention of it so far?
Next time my TX is open I'll try cutting the trace. I didn't bother when I made the led FET mod but I'm more concerned about the unloaded EL high voltage circuit running when it doesn't need to the the current it draws.
A daughter board and diagram to update out boards to a led version would be a nice touch now that they have been replaced by a newer design.

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
flashbang

Post by flashbang »

I received a answer from the man himself over at rcgroups

"Simple... don't use it

If you are just using a HK LED backlight as its designed - that is, unmodified and just turns on/off when your radio is on/off - then there's no need to do anything at all. Simply don't use the backlight feature in the firmware settings.

If you're planning on using the PB7 pad on the 9x mainboard for switching your LED light on/off... then remove the VDD pin on the SmartieParts board or simply stick a piece of electrician's tape over it so its not getting a signal from the pad.

If you're planning on using the PB7 pad AND want to use the SmartieParts VDD pin to make that connection, then you'll have to cut the trace leading away from the VDD pin

Bottom line - the VDD pin provides the signal to the driver to turn on. If it doesn't get that signal, consider it "disabled".

- Steven "
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Good options, thanks.

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Return to “Electronic Mods”