servo jitters by Frysky Rx antenna

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
kaos

servo jitters by Frysky Rx antenna

Post by kaos »

I was finishing up my Falcon build. I found an issue of my front steering servo jitters because the two Frysky whiskers are close to it. If i put my finger between one of the whisker and the servo and it stops. I had RF interferences causing servo jitter with ESC close to antenna before but never had a servo jitters with the antenna close by. It does not affect other servo either. That area is the best location for my antenna to go. Is there a ways to solve this issue? Ferrite ring helps in this situation?

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: servo jitters by Frysky Rx antenna

Post by MikeB »

Maybe wrap the servo in metal foil?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Change the servo with another type that doesn't do that...
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

If you are using a telemetry receiver, then you will have to bear in mind that the RX also has an inbuilt transmitter that communicates back to you. One of your 'whiskers' is a transmitter and a receiver. Best solution would be to move the whiskers well away from servos, electronics and other wires. Second best would be the solution that Mike has mentioned. Your ferrite bead idea will have no effect in this case as it seems to be direct pickup that is the problem.
kaos

Post by kaos »

thx for the suggestions. I will try all that.
And yes, I have moved both whiskers in different location in the vicinity around that servo, there is a tiny space at certain orientation it won't do that. but during fly i am sure just a hair of movement, it will trigger it. It still function well, and it is only a steering servo won't affect flying. Just I don't like to have a servo jitters all the time. ;)
I think use a different servo would be the the best shot, but I don't have a servo that fit the steering arm. That arm came with the wheels servo as a set. :cry:
Last edited by kaos on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Don't forget that having the 'whisker' antenna close to anything metallic will detune the antenna, along with creating a 'shadow' where the antenna will not see the transmitter. Not good news :(
kaos

Post by kaos »

yep, that is why I think that area is best for the antenna to be, but it jitters my steering servo.
I will try a couple more things tomorrow and see if I can fix it.
Actually today I was working on my other plane (AXN) with a OSD board right on top (1cm space) of my ESC, I thought that would create havoc, but it works perfectly. These RF interferences are weird. :?

I think the best shot would be using a different servo. But that steering servo arm came with the wheel as a set and I don't have a servo fit the arm. :cry:
kaos

Post by kaos »

OK, I tried to do a few things to resolve the problem. There is only one problem. There is no jitter any more. I turn the power on and ready to fix something. NO, no jitter, nothing. works perfectly. Yesterday was also the only time I have noticed the jitter. During the whole time yesterday the jitter was pretty bad no matter how I orient the whiskers and the jitter does increase or decrease with different whisker orientation.
Today, zero, zelch, nada. The only difference is I was doing it yesterday on the 2nd floor and today is on the 1st floor. :mrgreen:
As I said these RF thing is weird. Any 'scientific' explanation beside the servo is jinxed by the 2nd floor? :lol:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Maybe some gremlins fixed it for you over night :mrgreen:

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

kaos wrote:As I said these RF thing is weird. Any 'scientific' explanation beside the servo is jinxed by the 2nd floor? :lol:
Possibly a small change in the whisker position has done the job. Of course it should be known that water stops RF stuff getting places. Maybe you had/have a beer close to the TX or the RX? ;)
kaos

Post by kaos »

Now, this is scary.
After I decided there is nothing to be fixed, brought the plane back to 2nd floor. Then I thought, hmm, I am going to try again and hooked it up. Wow, the jitter returned. so I left the tx upstairs and took the plane down stairs while powered on all the time. The jitters continues on the 1st floor. So what the heck is going on! brought the plane back to second floor, reconnect the power, nada, no jitters. tried several times - power on and off. no jitters. out of a dozen times of power off/on after the 1st which produced the jitter, I was able to have jitters once , all the other times has no jitters.
Jhsa: I think you are right, there are some Grimlin on the 2nd floor. :lol:
I decided to find out exactly what happened. power on and take the plane walking around the house, at certain height or places, the jitter will start but not others. sometimes just by one feet difference will turn on/off the jitters. During all this time the other two servo has no jitters.
Both whiskers were fixed all the time.
I guess my conclusion is this servo/or its circuit is particular easy to pick up some stray radio waves. in the house with the brick walls here and there, it can pick up/resonant with the stray radio waves.
I have another steering wheel /servo from the same maker that one never had any jitter.

If you know where I can find a steering servo arm that can be used with a 9-12g servo using a set screw, please let me know. I think I need to replace the servo sooner or later. but need an arm to do the steering. something like this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=43941
but using a set screw to fix to the servo head.
SR71

Post by SR71 »

What about wifi accesspoint/repeater(s) on that floor ?

If feasible, open the mains of entire building and try again.
kaos

Post by kaos »

There is only one wifi on the 1st floor.
What do you mean by ‘opening up the main‘?
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

kaos wrote:Now, this is scary. Jhsa: I think you are right, there are some Grimlin on the 2nd floor. :lol:
Not a Gremlin. Far worse. It's Voodoo. :shock: :cry: :(
SR71

Post by SR71 »

kaos wrote:There is only one wifi on the 1st floor.
What do you mean by ‘opening up the main‘?
Errr sorry for my english, I meant : turn off the main switch that provides power to the home, just to be sure where the jammer is .
kaos

Post by kaos »

Flaps30: read the last second line in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=3606&p=55637&hilit=voodoo#p55637
:lol: :lol:

SR71: I see. make sense, but there is only one problem, i need to wait for a good time to do that cause everything in the house is controlled by that wifi box (which inculdes something else too, it is an ATT Uverse control box), telephone, cable, my PC network. i need to find a time that none of this need to be used to do that. ;)

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”