Shockflyer with auto rates, stall turn & blender functions

If you have a model config you would like to share. Post it here!
MattyB

Shockflyer with auto rates, stall turn & blender functions

Post by MattyB »

This setup should work great on any simple 4 function shock flyer with a single servo for ailerons (Hyperion Sniper, RC Factory series, Telink series etc) - I use it on my RC Factory Sbach 342.

Two EEPEs are included, one with automated stall turn / hammerhead and blender switch cascades (thanks to Scott Page for inspiring me to try this), and one without. If you'd like a simpler EEPROM wiith these cascades in them click here.

IMPORTANT – The stall turn and blender functions trigger the throttle based on the position of the sticks, so it is critical that you use a throttle kill to avoid ground handling accidents. I recommend this is implemented via the last line in the throttle mix on the mixer screen rather than from Custom Switches (on the mixer screen it can be named so is much easier to understand). To ensure your throttle kill is active when switching on set up a switch start-up warning (Setup menu).

Features:
  • 2 flight modes (Acro and Acro 3D).
  • Auto rates – This setup has no rate switch. Instead the flight mode (and associated rates) are changed when any of three direction controls (aileron, elevator or rudder) reach 97% of TX stick travel. This enables a setup wtih extremely high rates at each end with smooth, progressive control around centre.
  • Auto rates can be supressed via switch SD.
  • Rates for each surface are set using GVARs.
  • Stall turn / Hammerhead mix (Model memory 2 only) – In Acro flight mode full rudder will cause a blip of throttle to get you round the turn (switches CS3 and CS7-CSA), and will not reactivate for a period of your choosing. For more detail click here.
  • Blender switch cascade (Model memory 2 only) – Throttle can be blipped automatically to help snap the model into a blender based on stick positions (switches CSC-CSK). For more detail click here.
  • Knife edge compensation mix (Rud→Ele) on switch SA (set to zero weight by default).
  • Throttle kill on switch SF with pre-flight check reminder.
  • Custom throttle curve to remove non-linear ESC response (will need to be tuned for each model).
  • Flight countdown timer (reset by throttle kill on switch SF) and total model time timer.
  • Flight time remaining called out by short press of switch SH.
  • RSSI value called out by long press of switch SH.
  • Audio volume adjustable via pot S2.
  • Model name announcement on start-up/selection.
All changes are confirmed verbally when activated, and the sound files used are attached with the EEPE – simply paste them into the “Sounds/en” folder on your Taranis.

Important note – This EEPROM is mode 1 and uncalibrated. To ensure it works perfectly on your Taranis open the EEPE file in companion9X, copy the “Shockflyer” model memory to a spare slot in your live calibrated EEPE, then burn that to your transmitter. Happy flying!

Pre-flight checks / Disclaimer- Although this setup has been tested, it is up to the pilot to ensure all controls respond correctly under all conditions. I cannot be held responsible for any bugs in the setup or documentation, so please remember to test your model setup thoroughly before flying!
Attachments
Electric Shock Flyer setup for Taranis v4.zip
(396.72 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
Last edited by MattyB on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:45 am, edited 11 times in total.

rdeanchurch

Re: Shockflyer with auto (stick activated) rates

Post by rdeanchurch »

and it is Mode 1
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
MattyB

Post by MattyB »

Correct! Apologies, should have mentioned that.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It doesn't matter on openTx. Once you copy the model into your own eeprom it will be correct whatever your mode is.
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Yeah, but I just opened his file and tried simulating and was confused for a while. I finally looked at general settings changed to Mode 2 and things worked as expected. It was just a few minutes of confusion. Us old people get confused easyly!!!.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1

MattyB

Post by MattyB »

Good point Kilrah - I have updated the documentation in v2 to reflect this, which I will upload now (it also now has supression for the autorates on switch SD). OpenTX is just so damn 8-)
MattyB

Post by MattyB »

v3 added - now includes a tweaked version of Scott's hammerhead / stall turn mix (model memory 2).
MattyB

Re: Shockflyer with stick activated rates & auto stall turn

Post by MattyB »

v4 added - now includes a switch cascade for initiating a blender.

Return to “Template Library”