Throttle is wide open after TX is turn off and back on

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
willt

Throttle is wide open after TX is turn off and back on

Post by willt »

After I successfully loaded ER9X. On a live plane, the throttle is wide open after TX is turn off and back on. It stops when you hit the exit button. Please help.

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: Throttle is wide open after TX is turn off and back on

Post by Rob Thomson »

Have you calibrated the radio?
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Do you have a warning on the screen before you press the exit key? Are you using the stock RF module?
willt

Post by willt »

Yes, I have calibrated the radio both sticks and pots. I do have a warning screen before I press the exit key, and I am using the stock RF module flysky.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Hmm, there's been another similar report recently. ER9x does not start sending pulses until after the warning screens have been dismissed, the goal being not to send potentially bad inputs, like if you have a throttle warning, pulses are only sent once you have actually brought the stick down.

This was a good approach, as without anything sent from the radio most RF modules wouldn't transmit anything to the model.
But from this report and the previous one it looks like flysky might have changed something to their modules, and they now send servo centers or something else when they receive no info... might be good to investigate.

In your case for now I'd just recommend making sure you never power the model until you have powered the radio on and dismissed the warnings (what everybody should do).

erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

Can you post the EEPE file?

Kilrah is correct, the radio does not send anything until you bypass the warning screens. You might have the failsafe set so it shoves full throttle. Look in Frsky's manuals to see how to change that.
Z

BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR!!!
What goes up... Should be controlled by a 9X!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

erazz he is using the stock RF module.. no fs on them..
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

Then the only possible culprit would be the ESC. The stock RF does not output a signal until all the screens are passed.
Z

BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR!!!
What goes up... Should be controlled by a 9X!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

this is also being discussed in another thread here.. it seems there are different versions that do different things when RF link is lost :(

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
janekx

Post by janekx »

If you have other transmiter module and reciever it can be failsafe setting

Odeslano pomoci Tapatalk, Samsung mobile
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

"In your case for now I'd just recommend making sure you never power the model until you have powered the radio on and dismissed the warnings (what everybody should do"

Excellent advise for all of us.
Most esc's won't allow the motor to run without a valid input, most! The tx on and initialized output gives the bound RX something to lock onto when it's powered on. This if the throttle stick is down or the esc requires it to arm will always guarantee that that the motor will not spin up. Turning the tx on first and powering off last will always be safer. With no tx to lock onto the rx by nature will hunt for a tx to lock on to, worst was when we used AM of FM and powered the tx on last. The Quid keeps the 2.4 rx from locking on to the wrong TX and powering up, but not all 2.4 systems and esc's are bullet proof there perhaps, so tx on first is the way to go all the time for me.
Add the fact that many systems lack failsafe, or have none, or are set wrong, or never set, and turning the tx on first"with the throttle stick at off" and off last becomes even more of a safety issue.
BTW,
It's been said that if one holds the brushless motor prop and power it in, not letting it spin, it can't spin up because It needs some rotation to tell the esc what direction to spin it first from the feedback. That's why the little "ping" when you throttle up from dead stop.
One flyer at my field holds the prop that way just to check his power on failsafe settings.
Try this at your own risk, but interesting to know!

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
willt

Post by willt »

erazz wrote:Then the only possible culprit would be the ESC. The stock RF does not output a signal until all the screens are passed.
It is not the ESC. I tried it on Electric Fly Super Sportster RXRs and it does the same thing. With the throttle stick all the way down, the throttle comes on full when power on the TX is turned of and back on again. I guess the throttle goes to full power when the ESC re-arm.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It only leaves the TX module and RX.

It would be interesting to:
- Remove the prop on your model
- Turn on switch alert on your radio, and move a switch so that that alert shows up
- Set throttle stick to minimum, check by turning the radio on that you have a switch alert
- Turn the radio off
- Power the model up (and be ready for the motor to run and servos to move, hence removing the prop), wait 30 seconds or so, see if anything happens
- Turn the radio ON, do NOT dismiss the switch warning, what happens? Leave it 30 sec or so
- Turn the radio off, what happens?
- Turn the radio ON, leave it on the switch warning 30 seconds again, what happens?
- Dismiss the switch warning, what happens?

If you could report what motor and servos do at each step it would help understand what happens with these modules. Even better, if you feel comfortable doing it, it would be interesting to power the TX module outside of the radio while the model is on.
willt

Post by willt »

Kilrah wrote:Hmm, there's been another similar report recently. ER9x does not start sending pulses until after the warning screens have been dismissed, the goal being not to send potentially bad inputs, like if you have a throttle warning, pulses are only sent once you have actually brought the stick down.

This was a good approach, as without anything sent from the radio most RF modules wouldn't transmit anything to the model.
But from this report and the previous one it looks like flysky might have changed something to their modules, and they now send servo centers or something else when they receive no info... might be good to investigate.

In your case for now I'd just recommend making sure you never power the model until you have powered the radio on and dismissed the warnings (what everybody should do).
I believe you might be on to something with the theory of "Flysky might have changed something to their modules," To be honest with you, I do not feel I can use this transmitter as it is now. Too much risk for something bad to happen. It is like a loaded gun without the safety on.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I believe you might be on to something with the theory of "Flysky might have changed something to their modules,"
No, I think Kilrah is on to something with the theory of " This guy has a problem, let's try to go to the bottom of the problem and help him solve it...

is anyone else's tx doing the same? I will test mine... you say you have switch alarms disabled?

What version of the firmware are you using?
Now, this is very unlikely to be the problem but you never know.. do you have the throttle reverse option on?? You can find this option in the general settings menu

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
willt

Post by willt »

jhsa wrote:
I believe you might be on to something with the theory of "Flysky might have changed something to their modules,"
No, I think Kilrah is on to something with the theory of " This guy has a problem, let's try to go to the bottom of the problem and help him solve it...

is anyone else's tx doing the same? I will test mine... you say you have switch alarms disabled?

Now, this is very unlikely to be the problem but you never know.. do you have the throttle reverse option on?? You can find this option in the general settings menu
I tried it with the switch alarms disabled and enable, and it does the same thing. I do not have the throttle reverse option on because the throttle and everything else work like they are suppose to as far as I can tell except when you turn the transmitter power switch off and on with the live airplane. I am tempted to order the module with the antenna attached to itself for $21 shipped to see if it is the module. Since I do not have any problems with range, I like to be able to use the 6 channel $9.00 receivers.

SUN:er9x-708
VERS:V1.5501-erez
DATE:11.02.2012
TIME:10:10:42
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

could you please post your eeprom here??
But I can't think of a reason for the radio to do that.. I did it many times with my radio, to test failsafe and all.. I use a frsky module though...

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
willt

Post by willt »

jhsa wrote:

I tried it with the switch alarms disabled and enable, and it does the same thing. I do not have the throttle reverse option on because the throttle and everything else work like they are suppose to as far as I can tell except when you turn the transmitter power switch off and on with the live airplane. I am tempted to order the module with the antenna attached to itself for $21 shipped to see if it is the module. Since I do not have any problems with range, I like to be able to use the 6 channel $9.00 receivers.

SUN:er9x-708
VERS:V1.5501-erez
DATE:11.02.2012
TIME:10:10:42
willt

Post by willt »

jhsa wrote:could you please post your eeprom here??
But I can't think of a reason for the radio to do that.. I did it many times with my radio, to test failsafe and all.. I use a frsky module though...
Here is the link to ER9X I loaded.

http://er9x.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/er9x.hex
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

can you post your eeprom?? so people can have a look at it.. copy your eeprom to a file using eepe and post it here..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
willt

Post by willt »

jhsa wrote:can you post your eeprom?? so people can have a look at it.. copy your eeprom to a file using eepe and post it here..
My smartiparts board is out. I think I have a bad USB port putting out too much current that cause a reisistor to burn. Going to try to replace the reisistor. You can use the link for the ERX9 I posted? I use the template for the 4 channel version.
willt

Post by willt »

I can not believe no one else is having the throttle problem that I am having? Maybe no one else have tried to re-arm on a live plane. I have ordered a flysky module with the anttenna built-in to replace the Turnigy module which do not have the antenna build in. I'm hoping I am getting an old design flysky module. Maybe I will not have the issue with the throttle. For $21 I will take a chance. If that doesn't work. I will order the Frsky module. I believe these are the logical steps to take with the throttle issue. Anyone else have any ideas?
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Maybe you can try this. Connect a separate receiver, with a servo connected for the throttle channel. Figure out which way full throttle is supposed to be on the servo (ie which way it turns). Then run though your test like you did before. Only this time note what position the servo is in. This should clear the blame on the ESC.
And your smartieparts board burned a resistor? A usb port can only output 500mA, it has a fuse. Probably something was shorted somewhere. Or you had a wire connect to ground which was different than your computer ground, and that is where the current came from.
-Gohst
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I will also do the test with a servo in a while, but I only have a frsky receiver so I will test with that one. I f it works will rule out the fw.. if it doesn't, well more work for Mike I suppose :mrgreen:

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
willt

Post by willt »

erazz wrote:Can you post the EEPE file?

Kilrah is correct, the radio does not send anything until you bypass the warning screens. You might have the failsafe set so it shoves full throttle. Look in Frsky's manuals to see how to change that.

A diode shorted out on my Smartieparts board. I'll pose the EPPE file when I get the new board installed. Also, I do believe the administer need to give me premission. As of now, I do not see where I can upload a file.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

when entering a post, click on the "Full Editor" button next to "Submit", scroll down and you will find "Upload Attachment"

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
fsclub

Post by fsclub »

I have the same problem. (FW:R706 NMEA)
If I turn off the TX, the MOTOR will stop running what ever its statas.
And then I open the TX,during the 9X and pilot name display, the motor will stop,
after 9X logo and the pilot display, if there is any warning that the motor will start running very fast( like half throttle) without throttle control.
If I clean the warning, the motor will be under control again.
iwik

Post by iwik »

Hi Wilt,
I can confirm i get your results, full speed ahead. when tx turned off and then on with model powered up.
My details,
Ersky9x Rev B board(skynorths)
Stock RF Module
BT installed.
Haptic
Speaker
HobbyKing 30a esc
Stock receiver(came with the 9x)
Software version r110 V:1124
Dated 7/9/2012
No templates used,eeprom was erased at fw load and left at what was ever there.
I also have another radio with Stock board,stock RF module and i loaded latest Open9x and er9x via Companion9x. This radio only has the audio module
connected and both FW have been calibrated and work normally and DO NOT perform like the Ersky9x Hardware does.
A bit scary, human error will creep in at one stage and whamo.
Les
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm trying to find time to check this. To allow for the TelemetrEZ board, in recent revisions I've pulled the PPM line solid low at startup. This may be causing the operation described on er9x.
It may also depend on the modules and receivers used, so need lots of testing (I use FrSky), and I will need to look at ersky9x as well. Anyone who has time to check these reports (SAFELY using a servo PLEASE) will be very helpful.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
iwik

Post by iwik »

Hi Mike,
Thanks for replying. Ive left my ersky9x setup as described above so if i can test anything please just ask.
Les

Return to “Hardware”