newbie for Qaud/multirotor guidance

Electronic projects that are either related to the firmwares for the 9x, or simply great for radio control applications.
kaos

newbie for Qaud/multirotor guidance

Post by kaos »

Groot:
let's continue the discussion of the composite quad frame. you said these composite frame are bad for vibration. Is it for all composite frame or just the one from DJI.

This will be my 1st quad. definitely looking for suggestion/advice for all aspects of multirotor stuff.

here is what I have now:
Tarot 450 composite frame
4 x 450S motor 1000kv
4 x 18A HW ESC

erazz 's pipo32 will be on there. I have read about quadX and quad+. any advantage/disadvatage with either configuration?
besides the pipo board, what else do I need to make it work? what software do I use to program the pipo board? and in er9x what configuration I should do?
All info needed. Starting from scratch here. Thx. :D
Attachments
120512-1.jpg
Last edited by kaos on Thu May 17, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cre8tiveleo

Re: newbie for Qaud/multirotor guidance

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Only time you'll have vibration occuring is with unbalanced props, or an unbalanced pilot.

I have the same frame, and the 525 frame, no vibrations at all. I have a friend with the 525, and his vibrated a lot, we balanced the props and motors, and all was well.

Just balance, and you'll be good.
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Quad x - good for fpv, no props in the way...
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

Any tips on balancing the motors? I'm in the final stages of assembling my X525 quad.
Crashj007

Post by Crashj007 »

Composite and vibrations as opposed to what, machined aluminum? The composite, if reinforced with glass or carbon in any form should provide damping more so than metal, cast or machined.
--
FS-TH9X 2.4GHz 9CH from Nitroplanes
Smartieparts board & backlight
Stock Flysky RF and mainboard
er9x FW V 744

kaos

Post by kaos »

cre8tiveleo wrote:Quad x - good for fpv, no props in the way...
good thinking. never thought about that. yes, it will be FPV later too. actually all my planes/quads eventually will have FPV capability. I am trying to put a FPV system in a way that is removable in one assembly so I can switch from plane/quad to others. as long as it is large enough to carry the load.

It is just the quad+ seems to suit my eye better when looking at it, as far as orientation.

now what is in betweent the pipo boards and the ESC? is there a power distribution board or the esc is directly attached to the pipo board?
any software runs on computer to program the pipo board? I would like to download now and start getting used to it before the board gets here.

not pressing you Erazz. take you time on it. I just want to make sure I have a good home for your baby, so you won't suit me for child abuse. :mrgreen:
Last edited by kaos on Thu May 17, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaos

Post by kaos »

cre8tiveleo wrote:Only time you'll have vibration occuring is with unbalanced props, or an unbalanced pilot.
you mean like the vid Erazz did his 1st test on the previous quad board. we all know where that is coming from: too much beer. :lol:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

+ for normal flight (easier to see the front), x for FPV (no prop in the way). With most controllers you can easily change between both configurations.
kaos wrote:I am trying to put a FPV system in a way that is removable in one assembly so I can switch from plane/quad to others. as long as it is large enough to carry the load.
[nagging]

:mrgreen:
[/nagging]
kaos

Post by kaos »

Are you saying you can put that FPV assembly on the quad and put it on the Sbach in one assembly?

I am thinking the cam, video Tx, OSD, gps, Ir sensor all in one assembly and plug and play from model to model just plug in a few connector wires. but the FPV components will be pretty much in one holder assembly. At least that is what i am going to work on my Floater jet. I figured last night all the OSD components and vid Tx can be placed under the canopy above lipo with a piece of thin board.

Now what how about the connection between pipo and 4 ESC. what is going on there? what program can I start to work on/learn now?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

No, I was rather thinking about the "carrying the load" part :D

Nothing for the pipo yet. There was a preview of the software for the pipo8 in the relevant thread, but it wasn't functional, and for pipo32 I guess the firmware has to be pretty much finished before the PC side can be done :)
From what it looks you'll connect the ESC signal wires to the pipo, for the power supply you'll have to take care of distributing battery power to the ESCs yourself.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Kilrah wrote:No, I was rather thinking about the "carrying the load" part :D

Nothing for the pipo yet. There was a preview of the software for the pipo8 in the relevant thread, but it wasn't functional, and for pipo32 I guess the firmware has to be pretty much finished before the PC side can be done :)
From what it looks you'll connect the ESC signal wires to the pipo, for the power supply you'll have to take care of distributing battery power to the ESCs yourself.
Yes, the FPV system you helped me to pick will need at least a 1m plane or a quad 450 or above to go one. but all my planes are about that size. so weight should not be a problem. for something like your micro sbach, need small system (no OSD, too heavy). like the 20 mW tx we are waiting for you to get us. :mrgreen:

the power distribution, I would imagine just a parallel soldering/connection would be good enough then. just the S wire goes to pipo. that is imple enough.

do you have a pc program for other quad/multi rotor control board I can download and take a look on the PC to get familiar with?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

do you have a pc program for other quad/multi rotor control board I can download and take a look on the PC to get familiar with?
They're all completely different, and the pipo software will certainly be as different from any other as *9x is from any other radio, so... :mrgreen:
I've seen there would be mixers similar to the 9x... never seen that in any other quad :D

The TXs are here, just need to do the English translation of the product pages ;)
kaos

Post by kaos »

hope the translation is better than HK's manual. :lol:
GrootWitbaas

Post by GrootWitbaas »

sorry I missed some days on here. The frame you got is know for generating and amplifying vibration, as it was pointed out on the video I posted in the Pipo thread. It works fine with some controllers, and with others it mess every thing up. I am not shooting your frame down, and it may work perfectly for you, but just remember the video I posted if you do see weird things. Grab yourself some wood and build a frame ....it's easy, then use it as a comparison to other frames. Just for info, all my controllers are mounted directly onto my frames, and remember that every thing should be well balanced to eliminate any vibrations. Balance the props, mount them and balance them again with the motor. On bigger quads balancing is not so critical, but once you go small balancing is very important. That is just from my experience.

O and here is the link to the video again ...
Crucial wrote:Any tips on balancing the motors? I'm in the final stages of assembling my X525 quad.
The way I do mine:
1 balance props normal way.
2 mount prop to motor, and mount motor to test bench
3 run motor carefully from bench power and servo tester
4 if vibrations are there, add some weight to one side ...if vibrations is higher, it was the wrong side.

Tape is easy to apply for fast checking, but tape tends to come off. What I do is to "remove" weight from the other side ...I first add weight until I know exactly where the problem is, then start removing weight from the opposite side. That is the way I do it, there are many other ways to do it I think.
General trouble maker and wannabee Dev
kaos

Post by kaos »

I will certainly check all those you mentioned. Once I got it running I will report the result.

Return to “General RC Electronic Projects and Discussion”