Need some help please. X4R

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
SilverFoxxx

Need some help please. X4R

Post by SilverFoxxx »

Hello all, I am only a recent Taranis owner, and I have got myself stuck, cant find any information to help me out of a problem. Hoping you guys can enlighten me. Been flying 20 years, tech savy, had many comp radio's.
I built a simple 4 channel model, ordered and got a FrSky X4R receiver, it was the "S BUS" model, rats! only 3 usable channels in this receiver, OK then, can go without rudder, so I goofed around with settings for about a week, changed channel order, etc, could not get this to work. Created new eeproms, made new models etc, no joy. All I had left working was throttle and elevator. So I gave up on this receiver and ordered and bought another "X4R" receiver, this time without the S BUS, got it home, made a new wizard 4 channel model, plugged everything in, switched it on, guess what, same problem!!!! ?????? Made new models etec, still only have throttle and elevator? Lost rudder and aileron? That normally happens at the field! :lol:

Please help if you have any ideas I can try.

Silverfox.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

rdeanchurch

Re: Need some help please. X4R

Post by rdeanchurch »

First have you calibrated your Taranis?
2. are you using OpenTxCompanion or Companion9x? If not you should be!
3.If you are using OpenTxCompanion/Companion9x, post your .eepe with your models that " doesn't work"

4.Which Taranis.....Taranis or Taranis Plus?
5.and what firmware is on it?
6.And which version of Companion?
I'm assumng you have bound the receiver to the transnitter.
I have used both versions of X4R. the Sbus version with 7 channels. All work fine.
With that information we might be able to help.
Dean
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
SilverFoxxx

Post by SilverFoxxx »

Thanks Dean, please find the following info as requested.
1. Yes calibrated several times, thought about that myself, could there be a need to re-load the cal from file? Tried that but couldn't find the saved file?
2. Open TX Companion. Even unistalled and re-installed a couple of times
3. Yes I will, but this is the weird part, the channel monitor screen on the radio shows everything moving as it should, but 2 of the servo's dont move, and yes i have cross checked the servo's.
4. Taranis 9XD only 12 weeks old.
5. Firmware 2.0.12
6. Open TX companion ver 2.0.12
Yes bind the tx to the RX, dosnt, work, write new model, bind to RX, over and over.

Thanks
Robert.
SilverFoxxx

Post by SilverFoxxx »

Sorry forgot eprom.

find it here attached,

The internal RF mode is "D16" ?

channel range 1-8, ? or did i just answer my own question? I wonder???? :o :o :o :o

Robert
SilverFoxxx

Post by SilverFoxxx »

No that didnt fix it.

Wont let me upload .BIN files?

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You need to zip or rename them. D16 mode is all good.
SilverFoxxx

Post by SilverFoxxx »

OK, try again, zipped file.

Thanks
Robert
Attachments
microstik test.zip
(1.83 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Your .eepe looks straight forward and seems to work fine.
Your Tx is in Mode 1, Is that what your wanted?

Your General settings at the top of the eepe in OpenTxCompanion contains the Calibration data that looks fine, looks like it has been calibrated.

The only thing I can think of is that servos are plugged in reversed. You do know that on the X4R the ground is in the center of the receiver? i.e., Signal pins toward the receiver edge.

Having two bad X4R's seems a stretch.

Edited due to poor wording that implied servo connector needed rewiring. Not true just turned 180 degrees
Last edited by rdeanchurch on Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean
SilverFoxxx

Post by SilverFoxxx »

Thanks Dean, yes mode one indeed, have been flying for a long time. (you would think my arms would be tired by now) joke :D

GROUND IN THE CENTER? :o

Well watta you know, thats strange, I'll be dammed.
ooops, now i feel silly, :oops:

OK, people thanks all for your replies. It would appear we have solved the mystery.

:D :D :D

Robert
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Just to avoid anyone getting the wrong impression, this exchange does NOT mean that the X4R needs different servo connectors. It works with the usual "universal" servo connectors that have positive on the middle pin. The issue is which way round that connector plugs in. The answer is that like most small receivers that have the connectors configured in a "flat" arrangement, the negative pins on the X4R are together near the middle of the receiver.
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

SilverFoxxx wrote:Thanks Dean, yes mode one indeed, have been flying for a long time. (you would think my arms would be tired by now) joke :D

GROUND IN THE CENTER? :o

Well watta you know, thats strange, I'll be dammed.
ooops, now i feel silly, :oops:

OK, people thanks all for your replies. It would appear we have solved the mystery.

:D :D :D

Robert
I guess you can figure out why I suggested that might be the problem
:oops: :oops: :mrgreen:
Dean
SilverFoxxx

Post by SilverFoxxx »

I guess you can figure out why I suggested that might be the problem
:oops: :oops: :mrgreen:

Yes i can, and thanks for the answer, you know I checked those leads were the right way twenty times, and in my thinking they were fine. Checked the instructions sheet many times, even downloaded the info from mfg web site.
The brain sees what it wants to see, and disregards the rest. And the type on these receivers is sooo small. There is no text anywhere that describes the pin layout on the manual, just the same illustration of the receiver (that is even smaller than the receiver) to indicate the polarity. Needs a note box on the info sheet! It will catch out some more people.
I do need new glasses though!

Flew the little model last night, "micro stick" in the calm evening Great relief.
Again thanks Dean,
WZ9V

Post by WZ9V »

Glad you cleared that up. I think the way it was stated above people would assume the center pin on the servo connector.
Daedalus66 wrote:Just to avoid anyone getting the wrong impression, this exchange does NOT mean that the X4R needs different servo connectors. It works with the usual "universal" servo connectors that have positive on the middle pin. The issue is which way round that connector plugs in. The answer is that like most small receivers that have the connectors configured in a "flat" arrangement, the negative pins on the X4R are together near the middle of the receiver.

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”