Twin setup - Delta Ray

WZ9V

Twin setup - Delta Ray

Post by WZ9V »

I'm running Companion and Firmware 2.0.7 on a Mac and making my first attempt at a setup. The model is a HobbyZone DeltaRay without the onboard mixing (attempting to do in in the TX). I used the setup wizard to make a basic delta wing setup and that went well, I put throttle on CH1 and the Elevons on CH3 and CH4. I then copied the setup of CH1 in an attempt to get both CH1 and CH2 to respone equally to the throttle stick in the mixer screen. Now in the simulator, just CH2 moves with the stick even though both have the stick as an input. I've been reading up in the manual but I'm missing something stupid here. Can someone nudge me in the right direction?

After this I'm going to attempt Rudder setup using thrust differential like the onboard controller does. Not sure how I'm going to do stabilization yet or even if I am going to try it. Too bad FrSky does not have an equivalent to the AS3X receiver from Spektrum.

WZ9V

Re: Twin setup - Delta Ray

Post by WZ9V »

As someone had suggested it was the throttle cut that tripped up the one throttle channel. I now have a model setup that has the two throttle channels, throttle cut and rudder differential (at least in Companion)
idar66

Post by idar66 »

WZ9V wrote:I'm running Companion and Firmware 2.0.7 on a Mac and making my first attempt at a setup. The model is a HobbyZone DeltaRay without the onboard mixing (attempting to do in in the TX). I used the setup wizard to make a basic delta wing setup and that went well, I put throttle on CH1 and the Elevons on CH3 and CH4. I then copied the setup of CH1 in an attempt to get both CH1 and CH2 to respone equally to the throttle stick in the mixer screen. Now in the simulator, just CH2 moves with the stick even though both have the stick as an input. I've been reading up in the manual but I'm missing something stupid here. Can someone nudge me in the right direction?

After this I'm going to attempt Rudder setup using thrust differential like the onboard controller does. Not sure how I'm going to do stabilization yet or even if I am going to try it. Too bad FrSky does not have an equivalent to the AS3X receiver from Spektrum.
hi would it be possible for you to write a step by step guide on how you did this as im having a hard time with open tx settings
rtfm

Post by rtfm »

Hi,
Anyone have any additional info on how to configure the Taranis to fly the Delta Ray? Not only does it have differential thrust (I think I have that sorted), but I also need to activate the three modes available in the AS3X onboard controller. The DX4e transmitter is sending SOMETHING to the AS3X when one flips the three-way switch on the TX, but I have no idea how to assign a switch to tell the AS3X to change mode.

Any help would be appreciated, since to fly the Delta Ray, I have to put my wonderful new Taranis down, and pick up the little DX4e transmitter, and I'd rather not do that if I can help it...

Regards,
Duncan
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Suggestion: To find out what the Dx4E is sending, could you try using an ordinary receiver and servos, then seeing what servos move when you change the 3-position switch?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Daedalus66

Twin setup - Delta Ray

Post by Daedalus66 »

The DX4e channel 5 switch is set up to send 1.1ms, 1.5ms, 1.9ms. In Spektrum speak this is -100, 0, +100. In open source firmware, this is -80, 0, +80.

In other words, the standard 3-position switch setup should do what you need to trigger mode change in the receiver.

NOTE: For anyone reading this thread, the second situation is asking about how to control the stock setup for this model, while the original post was trying to emulate the stock setup with different equipment. The second is very easy to deal with, as all you have to do is set up your Taranis (with DSM module) to emulate a DX4e or DX5e.

This means channels 1-4 should be set up normally but with 80% limits (as 100% on Spektrum is 80% in OpenTX and ER firmware). Channel 5 should be standard 3-position, as explained above, and channel 6, if needed, should be on the trainer momentary switch.

UPDATE
I have since learned that it does matter in some cases that channels 5 and 6 not be too much in excess of 100% (in Spektrum speak), as the SAFE technology doesn't like a bigger pulse range. So the advice is now to set the limits on all channels 1 through 6 to 80%. The only possible exception is that you may want to set channel 1 (throttle) to -90 to +80 in order to ensure that the ESC arms correctly.

Note that all this advice is generic and applies equally to Taranis and the 9x, 9XR and 9XR Pro with either Er9x type firmware or Open9x/TX.
Last edited by Daedalus66 on Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rtfm

Post by rtfm »

HI,
You wrote: "set the limits on all channels 1 through 6 to 80%". I'm not sure where to do this... On the Inputs page or the Mixes page? I have not done this, but defaulted the the usual 100% on both pages. Seems to work OK... Is this an issue?

Duncan
Daedalus66

Twin setup - Delta Ray

Post by Daedalus66 »

Set limits on the Servos page to 80%. Don't mess around with inputs! You could achieve the same result by setting weights to 80% on the Mixes page, but the right way to do it is on the Servos page and it's best to learn good practices.

How to do all this is explained very well in OpenTX University. Everyone with a Taranis should go there and spend the necessary time.

Open-txu.org

I have responded to your PM.

Return to “openTx model setup”