How to update the bootloader?

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
ImRich

How to update the bootloader?

Post by ImRich »

How does one update the bootloader?

I originally had, 2.0.0 installed, then 2.0.1, and now 2.0.2. The release notes say that the bootloader changed.

But I don't see anywhere to download the newer 2.0.2 bootloader, nor a method to update it. My current bootloader says v1.0

I searched the wiki and here, but don't see where to download and update my bootloader to the latest. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for any help!
Rich
Last edited by ImRich on Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShowMaster

Re: How to update the bootloader?

Post by ShowMaster »

I believe you'll use the new opentx pgm to flash the new FW. That will also update the bootloader. Doing it from the sd card doesn't. After the update, new FW update can be done from the sd card.
So
From what I've learned, opentx pgm to update FW and bootloader, sd card update option FW only. Try it!

Lets see if others agree.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk, small keys and a big finger.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The bootloader is part of the .bin. When you flash from Companion, just the main openTx part is flashed.

Copy the .bin to the SD card in the "firmwares" directory (I still think it should be "firmware" as I wrote).
Power up normally, go to the SD card file browser and find the .bin. In some way you select this and it gives a popup that includes an option to update the bootloader from it.
Ersky9x does it differently. It has a special "maintenance mode" where you update the bootloader. This operates with minimum activity e.g. no mixer. I felt this was safer as the bootloader is in flash, and the updating code is also in flash. I felt there could be possibilities where all this other activity could cause the bootloader flashing to fail. While actually writing to the flash memory, the processor is halted from executing instructions, so any interrupts would be stacking up. When the flash write pauses (between blocks), the processor could be hit by many interrupts. I felt the less going on the better.
For information, the bootloader runs from RAM, so can always safely write to the flash.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
ImRich

Post by ImRich »

Mike,

Thanks for the info, this worked perfectly, my bootloader is now showing version 2.0.2.

I tried to search for some documentation on how to do this, but I couldn't find it, so I appreciate the help.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

If you flash from companion with the radio off as before the bootloader gets updated too.

nischris

Post by nischris »

MikeB wrote: (I still think it should be "firmware" as I wrote.
Fwiw, I agree.
I think one argument for calling it firmwares was that firmware for different devices might one day be located in there. If that's the case, each device should have its own firmware directory shouldn't they?
I think the 'eeproms' directory should be probably be 'eeprom' as well. There are no eeproms in there, just eeprom files. The transmitter has a single eeprom.
Just my 2c worth.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think that maybe the developers just want to do things different to avoid compatibilites :) if it wasn't called firmwares, they would call it something else just to be different.. :) maybe beerware or whiskeyware.. :mrgreen: who cares anyway? :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ImRich

Post by ImRich »

possibly because it can hold multiple versions of the firmware, they thought to add the 's'??? It doens't make sense to me, but perhaps someone who has english as a second language designed this, or thought of it with another language in mind, and it doesn't quite make sense to english?

But I agree, eeprom, firmware, sound . . . should all not be plural.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Multiple versions of the firmware yes, but also multiple firmwares. Just like you have many documents on your computer or many downloads. Here my directories are called Downloads, Documents, Pictures etc. Would you say the same with SOUNDS, SCRIPTS, TEMPLATES that we are adding right now?

PS: english is not my mother language, that's true, I am learning little after little. But this one really confuses me, even Androïd writes Firmwares on their website if I remember well!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The main point I made is that I released the bootloader many months ago using the name "firmware". It was released for the SKY board and was also passed to HK for the 9XR-PRO. I also produced a version for the Taranis.
The bootloader is basically independant of the main firmware.
What we now have is different bootloaders, using different sub-directory names, but that work with different types of firmware. I did ask, several times, that for the sake of consistancy, the same sub-directory should be used. This was the only reason I asked, it seemed better for end users, who mostly don't care what the sub-directory is called.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
ImRich

Post by ImRich »

It's a subtle point. Also, for some english words you dont add an 's' to for the plural version, and 'FIRMWARE" is one of these words. To me SOFTWARE is the same, you dont write or speak: SOFTWARES (i.e.: one version of SOFTWARE, or many versions of SOFTWARE).

Firmware is one of those 'uncountable' words:
http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.c ... h/firmware

The definition of 'uncountable' is:
a noun that is uncountable cannot be made plural or used with a or an, for example water, bread and information
http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.c ... ncountable

For example, the word: furniture. If you have one piece of furniture (one chair) or many pieces of furniture (many chairs), you don't add an 's' to it. For me, firmware is one of these words (I've been writing software for 30 years).

But also, the intended target is firmware for one item (the transmitter). It's not like your computer where a folder (documents) may have many uses and meanings.

SOUNDS, don't bother me as there are many files used for different purposes, not one target sound file to choose, but many sounds to use for various functions.
The same for SCRIPTS, there are many scripts use for various purposes, so the plural makes sense. Similar for TEMPLATES, there are many templates for various models, types, etc.

But there can be only one firmware installed on the radio, so to me, it would be more natural to name the folder 'FIRMWARE', instead of 'FIRMWARES'. The word "FIRMWARES" to me is one of those words that should not have an 'S' at the end, even if the intent is many versions, or copies, or types, similar to the word 'FURNITURE".

No matter if Android uses it, it could have been done for the same reason (perhaps the person that choose the word 'firmwares' was not a native english speaker), it's one of those subtle nuances in the english language that are not obvious to everyone.

At this point, since this is already released, it's probably too late to change it. It's not a big issue. It just doesn't sound correct to me, and according to the dictionaries 'firmware' is an 'uncountable' noun and therefore should not have an 's' added to it to mean the plural version.

Please note that I'm a native american english speaker (and barely can speak a few words of other languages), and my studies are not in the details of the English language. So my point of view is only one from a native English speaker, and from the point of view of a person that has been writing (English oriented) firmware/software for 30 years.
Last edited by ImRich on Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

If the folders had the same name you could easily change from one firmware to the other.. Like it is now, you have to also change the sd card folders

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
nischris

Post by nischris »

Well explained Imrich. I'd argue pretty much the same thing. 'Whiteware' is another one of those 'uncountable' words. A laundry doesn't have whitewares in it, it has whiteware.
As you say, probably a bit late now, unless both directory names are allowed.

Return to “openTx”