9XR vs. the Taranis my 2 cents

Hardware Support for the 9XR
Robr0924

9XR vs. the Taranis my 2 cents

Post by Robr0924 »

I recently received a Taranis from Aloft Hobbies after 11 months on the waiting list. I have been using a 9xr with a DJT module for the last year after my JR 8103 took a dump. I wanted the Taranis and settled on the 9xr as a cheap throw away alternative. Figuring $50 would not break the bank if it was c**p. I have 3 V8R4 II recievers and 3 V8FR receivers and the X8R that came with the Taranis.

I tend not to screw with factory settings, as I am not that techie. But side by side, I find the 9xr software much simpler and easier to move around. I have 10 planes set up and it is quick and simple. I tend to use YouTude videos as my source of information.

The Pluses for the Taranis. Companion 9x, the sticks have a better over all feel. And once bound to the reciever it is instant on. reversing the servos was a mystery at first but figured it out. I plan on using this forum to get more familar. But at 3 weeks, for your money I would say the 9xr is better way to go.

I would say I am a sport flyer mainly. convention nitro, electric planes, 1/4 scale, flying wings and a glider. flaps, flaperons, snap roll button(8103) are as complicated as I get so far.

Well thats my two cents. :D

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: 9XR vs. the Taranis my 2 cents

Post by MikeB »

eepe is available for the 9xr, which actually runs er9x. This does a similar job to Companion9x, in fact Companion9x was forked from eepe.
If you want to try updating the firmware on the Taranis, I have produced a version of ersky9x (er9x for the SKY replacement board for the 9X) that runs on the Taranis hardware and is very similar to er9x as on the 9XR. The only thing currently missing from this currently is support for an external module, something I need to add.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

When you refer to moving around - I assume you mean navigating the button system?

The 9x button style is much more intuitive.

Unfortunately Taranis hardware pretty much forced a navigation system on the firmware that while not ideal, is quite effective.

Rob

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
dvogonen

Re: Sv: 9XR vs. the Taranis my 2 cents

Post by dvogonen »

I agree about the navigation. It is a lot easier to navigate on the 9x/9xr than on the Taranis.
Having the buttons in a row along the sides of the screen does not make it possible to create a particularly intuitive interface.
Mike's Taranis firmware is easier to navigate than OpenTX, since he has sacrificed some screen space to make room for soft button labels.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I think a lot of it is a question of getting used to. I actually have a hard time with the 9X when I need to do something on one now!

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

yeah, sacrifice a couple buttons and put an encoder on that thing... :mrgreen:

Then maybe I will buy one.. ;) :D
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Robr0924

Post by Robr0924 »

Thanks I'm gonna keep working with the taranis before I flash it with some new. Appreciate the feedback

Return to “Turnigy 9XR radio”