Turnigy 9x buttons not working (menu, exit, +, -, up, down)

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
ovisopa

Turnigy 9x buttons not working (menu, exit, +, -, up, down)

Post by ovisopa »

Hello to everyone,

I'm new to this RC hobby, today I received the radio and in the beggining I though everything is ok, the first thing I did was to connect it to my PC using audio 3,5 jack to play with it in FMS, this was very easy (it was much harder to keep the multicopter hovering more than a few seconds :) )

I played with it maybe one hour, I noticed from the beggining that the MENU button doesn't show anything on the screen, but I didn't care about that because I see it powering on, it worked on the SIM .. until now after I did another thest, I bind it with the RX and connected a servo on CH1, it worked great.

But still can't see any action when pressing one of those buttons : menu, exit, +, -, up, down. None of those buttons seems to be working, I hear the click when I press them but nothing is changing on the screen. Also the timer on the screen is always on 99:59. The sliders on the screen are moving left - right, up down when I press the other buttons , near the sticks (don't know how to call those buttons), also I hear the beeps when moving those buttons.

I contacted live support and thier solution is simple: "Please fill a RMA form and send back to us for warranty." but I don't want to wait another 2 months untill I will have the radio back.

Thank you.

Westy

Re: Turnigy 9x buttons not working (menu, exit, +, -, up, do

Post by Westy »

hi there,

Are you saying the main screen is BLANK? not too sure on what you mean when you say "I noticed from the beggining that the MENU button doesn't show anything on the screen"

If the screen is blank, then is could be something as simple as removing the back and checking the ribbon is installed correctly .... try carefully removing and re setting the ribbon at both ends......
ope this works for you.
ovisopa

Post by ovisopa »

Sorry for being confusing in my previous message. No, the menu is not blank, but when I press the buttons nothing is changing on the screen. I attached a photo.
Attachments
photo.JPG
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Hmmm...

You are on the stock firmware?

My memory is that these menu's are VERY SLOW to respond!

Try press & hold the button for a second or two.

Then... ditch the firmware and install something better :-)
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
ovisopa

Post by ovisopa »

Yes I'm using the stock firmware, I already tried long pressing the buttons, no action :(

Even if they ware slow, I belive it might have a delay of a second or so, but in my case nothing happens after pressing the buttons. I think I will open it up to check the buttons but this for sure it will void the waranty :( For firmware upgrading I think I will have to buy a programmer, i will look into it also, my feature plans ware to install the telemetry module from frsky, but this issue was unexpected.

Westy

Post by Westy »

So if you hold down Menu for about 1-2 seconds .... it does nothing? it should bring up a different screen with a spanner ICON for settings and another one (can't remember what that one was at this time)
erazz
9x Developer

Post by erazz »

Does it beep at you? Is it powered by the rear jack or by a battery?
Z

BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR!!!
What goes up... Should be controlled by a 9X!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Open up the TX and push down or reseat all white connectors being careful of the LCD display flat cable top of main board.
Just a wild guess but when HK can't supply mode 2 TX's they improvise and modify mode 1's to mode 2 and ship it out. To do this they must open the case and switch pins and springs from the left stick to the right stick. This is enough disturbance to cause connectors to become skewed and not seated properly. If I'm right your going to fix it, I hope I am. The fact that so many functions buttons are not working that go to connectors is a clue to me.
My HK 9x had parts rattling around and the elevator had no centering springs. I found them and the pins in the case loose.
While you're inside check all soldering by giving a visual and a soft tug to make sure the're soldered. HK quality control is not always up to par.
Let's hope you find the easy fix and can go flying.
Good luck!
SM
Westy

Post by Westy »

:ugeek: I agree with Show master.....
:mrgreen:

If one of the multi pin plugs or ribbons has not been connected correctly ..... it may have rattled loose in transit..... you never know your luck!

Could be just that simple..... make sure your battery connector is in and not loose and on the board too!
ovisopa

Post by ovisopa »

Westy wrote:So if you hold down Menu for about 1-2 seconds .... it does nothing? it should bring up a different screen with a spanner ICON for settings and another one (can't remember what that one was at this time)
Correct, if I press or long press the menu button, nothing changes on the screen, I see the default screen as the screenshot posted above.
erazz wrote:Does it beep at you? Is it powered by the rear jack or by a battery?
Yes, when I turn it on it beeps, and it works great except the buttons I mentioned in my first post.
ShowMaster wrote:Open up the TX and push down or reseat all white connectors being careful of the LCD display flat cable top of main board.
Just a wild guess but when HK can't supply mode 2 TX's they improvise and modify mode 1's to mode 2 and ship it out. To do this they must open the case and switch pins and springs from the left stick to the right stick. This is enough disturbance to cause connectors to become skewed and not seated properly. If I'm right your going to fix it, I hope I am. The fact that so many functions buttons are not working that go to connectors is a clue to me.
My HK 9x had parts rattling around and the elevator had no centering springs. I found them and the pins in the case loose.
While you're inside check all soldering by giving a visual and a soft tug to make sure the're soldered. HK quality control is not always up to par.
Let's hope you find the easy fix and can go flying.
Good luck!
SM
Thank you, this is what I though also but wanted an advice from someone that dealed with those kind of problems before.

PS. This is Mode1, throtle on right, but I feel it should have been in the left, I think I will also convert it to Mode2.

Thank you. Will be back to let you know if the problem was a loose connector
ovisopa

Post by ovisopa »

I just opened the case, did the swap of the spring and tensioner (very easy to do and btw. the tutorial on ifixit was wrong in the step 4, I think it's impossible to remove the metal pin without breaking the plastic mount, I belive it's glued in, I pressed really hard on it and didn't moved at all .. I figure it out that you only need to get the spring out and then take out the spring arm, hope the administrator of ifixit will aprove my edit so there is no confusion for other beginers like me)

The conectors on the motherboard seemd to be all pressed in corectly, I tested all of them, but after closing the case the menu button worked, and I finally was able to see the menu, and also see how I can reverse some sticks so it behaves more naturaly in the FMS simulator (stick up = tricopter goes up, before swaping to mode 2 , bouth sticks ware reversed .. up was down and down was up)

Thank you guys for your advices, I don't know what was really the problem, but the connectors seemed to be correctly fitted, the good thing is now it's working and I don't care what was the problem :)

Next thing .. buy the smartieparts board and FrSky telemetry TX / RX :) (I still have some doubts what to chose, the DIY TX to be fitted inside and have only one antenna or the complete kit which replaces the removable Turnigy 9x transmiter )
Attachments
Dissasembled Turnigy 9x
Dissasembled Turnigy 9x

Return to “Hardware”