Taranis / Companion 9x problem

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
rcgyuk

Post by rcgyuk »

Hi,

Not sure which forum to use as problem could be either.

Just got my taranis here in UK, and downloaded latest C9X.

Connected USB to taranis, and PC proceeded to download something called STM32 bootloader, and eventually said your hardware is now ready to use.

Went into C(X, and as a test, tried to read the model01 the TX comes with as default, and got this message:

Started AVRDUDE
C:/Program Files/companion9x/avrdude.exe -c usbasp -p m64 -P usb -U eeprom:r:C:/DOCUME~1/Robert/LOCALS~1/Temp/temp.hex:i
=================================================================================
avrdude.exe: error: could not find USB device "USBasp" with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc

=================================================================================
AVRDUDE done - exit code 1

I thought now we had USB, I didn't need the USBASP I use for my 9X radio?

Ultimately, I want to transfer all my models form 9X to taranis without having to set all up from scratch, but need to get it to talk to my PC first.

Any clues where I am going wrong ?

Robert

rcgyuk

Re: Taranis / Companion 9x problem

Post by rcgyuk »

Ok, two steps forward and one back.

Realised I had to select different firmware in C9X, changed to: "opentx for frsky taranis"

Now I get this message instead:

Impossible to identify the radio on your system, please verify the eeprom disc is connected.

Should the TX be switched on or off when connecting to USB?

(presently turned off)
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

From the manual off seems correct
Quoting the manual

"In companion9x's preferences window, make sure the proper firmware is selected (openTx for FrSky Taranis), and the language / options match your preference, then click the top Download button and select a location for the file. This will automatically build and download the latest available version of openTx for Taranis.
Close the Preferences window, and select the Burn -> Write Flash memory command.

"Make sure your radio is powered off and connected."

Browse for the file you just downloaded. It will be recognised automatically and the version will be displayed.
If you wish to replace the radio's splash screen, you can either load one from a file or select it from the availble library, and click the "Substitute image in firmware" box.
Click "Burn to TX".
Once the progress bar is done and the success prompt is shown you can dismiss it and disconnect your radio :)"

I don't have mine yet try.
SM
Manual
http://code.google.com/p/opentx/wiki/Op ... n_Windows)
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

The manual is clear about installing the driver.

But it does not mention setting up the burn configuration with Dfu.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
rcgyuk

Post by rcgyuk »

Before I attempt flashing a new firmware, I want to check I can work with what is there already.

I note above the radio should be powered off to burn a new firmware, but should it be on or off to reed the model memories?

Regards

rcgyuk

Post by rcgyuk »

Followed above exactly to burn new firmware, this is what I get:

Started DFU Util
C:/Program Files/companion9x/dfu-util.exe -a 0 --dfuse-address 0x08000000 -d 0483:df11 -DC:/Program Files/companion9x/opentx-taranis-noheli-en-r2588.bin
dfu-util 0.6

Copyright 2005-2008 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2012 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

Filter on vendor = 0x0483 product = 0xdf11
Opening DFU capable USB device... Cannot open device

DFU Util done - exit code 1

Seems C9X can't see the taranis for read or write.

Any clues?
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

Radio powered ON to read/write eeprom (models).

Ted
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Rcg yuk

Look at http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=3809 by me.
Looks like you and I are stuck at the same place.

F... Off, EEPROM On

F... Being flash, of course
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Can anyone help.
When I connect my Taranis to the PC (Taranis turned on) I get the error message 'Taranis radio not found. Impossible to identify the radio on your system, please verify the eeprom disc is connected'.
I have reloaded the latest version of the firmware (1.34) twice and still get the same error.
Any clues?
Thanks .
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

Radio powered on all warning cleared you should see two drives...
In this way read eeprom from tx write eeprom from tx should work..

Radio powered of stm32 bootloader driver installed (need zadig)
Write firmware to tx must work.
rcgyuk

Post by rcgyuk »

Hi, I can read models from the taranis, not tried to write any yet.

Still no luck with reflashing latest firmware
vinemech

Post by vinemech »

I have a small problem, Seems my Taranis countdown timer will say 30 seconds.........20 seconds..........then 10 seconds repeatedly 10 times!
I would like it to say 10,9,8,7...1,0 if possible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Mike
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I am still having problems with the Taranis. I am unable to read or write any EPROMs.
Companion 9X software is not able to see the Taranis TX as my previous post.
TX is switched on before attaching the USB cable.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Steve
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

What OS do you have on your computer?
Do you have the USB "connecting" sound when you plug the radio?
Do you see the 2 drives appear afterwards?
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

Are all warnings on screen cleared ?
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Finally fixed the problem!
For some reason my PC had updated the USB driver and this was the reason I could not see the Taranis SD card.
I rolled back the driver to the previous one and the problem was fixed! Now I can see all files on the SD card and I can read and save eeproms.
Thanks for your help guys and keep up the good work!
Steve
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Steve - It would be great to know what your operating system is and when the PC updated the USB drivers. It would be of help to others and add more information into the database.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

My operating system is Windows 8 but i'm not sure when the USB driver was updated.
Steve
rcgyuk

Post by rcgyuk »

Am now able to read and write models, and have read models from stock 9X and saved to Taranis. Mostly worked, except where I had used GVs, all my weights went to approx 156% - 180%

Also, switches I had used for dual rates are not the switches I will now use, which are now 3 way switches, so I really need to program triple rates to use the switches sensibly.

But I still can't update the firmware.

This is a link to a manual:

http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=120

It gives this procedure to update:

1. Insert the SD card containing the update file into the card slot.
2. Use tweezers to switch the slide switch (update switch) at the side of the card slot in the up direction.
3. Turn on the transmitter power. An update screen is displayed. Rotary key or the arbitrary direct keys are pressed
4. When updating is complete, the screen shown below appears
5. Turn off the power switch. After the monitor LED goes off, switch the update switch in the down direction
If a problem occurs, an error message will appear and the update will not be complete.
After the updating above has been completed, turn on the power and then check the system program version at the system menu information screen.

Completely different to how I have been trying to do it, and to how you flash the 9X.

Any thoughts?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

This has nothing to do with how the Taranis is actually flashed, it's a Futaba upgrade procedure. It was probably a filler as they had to provide something before it was finished.

The Taranis upgrade procedure is here: http://code.google.com/p/opentx/wiki/Op ... anis_radio
rcgyuk

Post by rcgyuk »

Hi,

It worked as far as here:

Download the Zadig utility for your operating system: Windows XP or Windows Vista and later.
Run it as Administrator (Right-click and select the relevant entry).
In the big dropdown, you should find an entry named "STM32 BOOTLOADER" or "STM device in DFU mode".
If you do not have that entry, choose Options -> List All Devices, and it should now appear in the list.

Only entry in my list is "USB Human Interface Device"
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

Yup, thats about all mine shows, too. No STM32 BOOTLOADER to be found anywhere on my 'puter. Time will tell if this works out, but right now it's falling into the 'too hard' category.

Ted
rcgyuk

Post by rcgyuk »

Strange, because the very first time I plugged in the Taranis, I got a message about finding driver for STM32 Boot loader. Next thing I will try is above procedure, but with Taranis connected to USB.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

I had the same thing happen once.

Just closed the program - unplugged tx, and tried again.
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

When you plug the powered-off Taranis to the PC, do you get the USB "connection sound"?
If not try another port or cable.

Also check in the device manager if something is appearing when you connect, or if you click the look for hardware modifications button.
rcgyuk

Post by rcgyuk »

Ok, finally got it to work. There were multiple issues here. I had to put DFU Util in the C9x directory, wasn't installed by default.

I ran Zadiq to replace the driver, but there was no option to select STM 32 Bootloader as per all the notes, I selected STM device in DFU mode instead.
bobnj

Post by bobnj »

I'm trying to take all of this in.
Are there any special cables required to flash the firmware?

What are these cables used for -->
http://www.alofthobbies.com/usb-upgraded-cable.html
http://www.alofthobbies.com/smartport-cable.html

Thanks
Bob
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

To update the transmitter firmware, you just need a USB cable with a regular connector at one end for the computer and a mini-B connector at the other for the transmitter. This is the type of cable used by many older smart phones (more recent phones typically use a micro connector). Note that some phone connectors are simply charge cables and won't do the job. Note also that some USB ports work for some things but not others. So if you have a problem, try a different cable and if that doesn't do it, try another port.

The purpose of the other cables is described in the links you provided.
bobnj

Post by bobnj »

I understand that the description is in the link.
What I don't understand is what they are for, how they are used, and when?

I've been in the hobby since 1976, but am really new at the Taranis.
Now I know what a student learning to fly feels like.

I'm still trying to figure out how to control the timers in the transmitter, whether or not I need
special servos, and what this post on another board is all about -->
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=597839
This is where the cables are being used, but I don't know why yet.

If the latest version of the Firmware is v1.1.02 per the FrSky site,
what does this statement in the helifreak post mean dated January 2014??;
ABBC3_OFFTOPIC
Firmware updates have been released for the Taranis' internal module, as well as the X8R. The receiver update process would also apply to other Smart Port devices, like telemetry modules
The description below for the FrUSB-3 says it's for the Tx Module and 8 channel Rx.
Does that mean the X8R that came with my Taranis?
ABBC3_OFFTOPIC
The FrUSB-3 USB cable connects to the transmitter module, Sensor Hub and 8 channel telemetry receivers and allows firmware updates.
And does this description mean the X8R that I have?
ABBC3_OFFTOPIC
This cable works with the FrSky FrUSB-3 cable and allows it to connect to Smart Port devices.

And to top it off, I'm not getting email notifications from the board.

Sorry to unload, but I've been reading and watching videos for days and it gets frustrating.

Thanks for any help
Bob
Bruneaux

Post by Bruneaux »

Bob,

It is very frustrating. And it is not easy.

I just got a new computer and tried te re-flash my Taranis ( I down loaded Companion 9 it indicated that there is a new version ). In my old computer it worked fine. The link that Kilrah has provided for Zadig is dead ( 404 - Not found ). I googled and found one version and down loaded it. The drop down menu is empty! No data! No happiness. So I can't follow the directions that are provided to make it work!

So, I'm not a newbie to computers. The process has failed. It requires too much knowledge about the specific tools and the tools them self are failed.

Even the distribution is failed. The proper tools are not included in the distribution.

I don't know if the people that are responsible for Companion9 are getting tired of answering the same old questions, but I am tired of asking for answers.

If you read the the older conversations on this post the problem has been there for a long time. The Companion9 distribution is not complete. Links are dead. People have to search and download programs that may or may NOT work. I downloaded a "fix" (USBasp for Windows) that KILLED my UBS keyboard and mouse! And Companion9 still did not work!

In my old computer I wrote some new code for my Taranis, compiled the new version of firmware and flashed it. I need to do more work to add more functionality but I can't because of these problems.

I have heard that they are working on the problems but it has been a trying experience. And until they deliver a COMPLETE distribution I fear that Companion9 will remain worthless to flash your computer unless you are deep into the workings of things.

Bruneaux

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”