HK- USB asp programmer not recognized

rsoko

Re: HK- USB asp programmer not recognized

Post by rsoko »

Usually it is my error... :lol:

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

that would be a smart move from them.. you can flash the m64 hex on a 128, but I don't think you can do it the other way round??..
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
rsoko

Post by rsoko »

rperkins wrote:wow

if you open the tx I'd like to see a picture of it. In fact we'd all like to see a picture of this I'm sure. Specifically the numbers on the MCU, the main chip in the center of the main board

There is another thread where a user is having trouble programming a 9xr. got me wondering now.

glad you got it working though. Have fun

Here are the pictures. If you need other shots let me know. :)
Attachments
Inside New 9xr 3-25-13 (5)- Resized.jpg
Inside New 9xr 3-25-13 (4)- Resized.jpg
Inside New 9xr 3-25-13 (3)- Resized.jpg
Inside New 9xr 3-25-13 (2)- Resized.jpg
Inside New 9xr 3-25-13 (1)- Resized.jpg
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

ok thanks. I wasnt able to make out the numbers on the MCU, the big chip in the center of the main board. Either read those numbers and post what they are or submit a picture of the MCU so that the number can be read. We're looking for numbers that have a '64' in them or less likely a '128' in them.

like in this picture the text atmega64a is clearly visable. If you read yours and it says atmega64 just posting that to us is sufficient. If in fact it says something different we definitely want to see a picture of that
https://plus.google.com/photos/10149507 ... 8115007698

did you ever go into detail whether you are plugging in the 6 pin connector properly or backwards ? If you did I missed it so am going to ask you to look at the picture I linked to above and compare that to the your radio, specifically following the red wires. It looks like HK uses 2 red wires in the ribbon. One is going to +5v and the other is going to the reset. is yours the same as the picture ?

Glad your radio is working for you.
rsoko

Post by rsoko »

rperkins wrote:ok thanks. I wasnt able to make out the numbers on the MCU, the big chip in the center of the main board. Either read those numbers and post what they are or submit a picture of the MCU so that the number can be read. We're looking for numbers that have a '64' in them or less likely a '128' in them.

like in this picture the text atmega64a is clearly visable. If you read yours and it says atmega64 just posting that to us is sufficient. If in fact it says something different we definitely want to see a picture of that
https://plus.google.com/photos/10149507 ... 8115007698

did you ever go into detail whether you are plugging in the 6 pin connector properly or backwards ? If you did I missed it so am going to ask you to look at the picture I linked to above and compare that to the your radio, specifically following the red wires. It looks like HK uses 2 red wires in the ribbon. One is going to +5v and the other is going to the reset. is yours the same as the picture ?

Glad your radio is working for you.

I sent a request to access the pictures..

rsoko

Post by rsoko »

I opened it back up and found the number on the processor. If you need pictures of it let me know.
AMTEL
ATMEGA 128A
AU 1248

Looks like it is a 128 after all...
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Interesting, very interesting! That's a big upgrade they did there, looks like they finally understood that it was stupid to stick with the '64!
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Very interesting.

Maybe they are listening to us!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

yes

You may want to start another thread something like ' Look I got a 9xr from HK with a M128 MCU'

This is a exciting event because it is one of the things people had questioned why HK did not do it. People will be interested in seeing what you have and if any other changes have been done.

if you can please make a high resolution picture showing the entire main board with sufficient resolution to read the numbers on the MCU.

Also
1. What day did you place your order and when did it ship
2. Did your radio come in the box and did everything look normal.
3. Does the MCU appear to be machine soldered or hand soldered ( your picture will show this )
4. Do you see any other differences between your radio and pictures of other ones on the internet.

BTW, there is a different version of firmware tailored to the 9x for a m128 processor. I know it takes advantage of the additional eeprom ( for models ) but I do not know what else it does. look around here for m128 or I can post a link.

congratulations on your unique radio
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Believe we bow have er9x128 and openTX 128 versions.

The 128 version allows far more space for models and features!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
rsoko

Post by rsoko »

I started a new thread like suggested:
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3120
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

so, people that ordered the 9XR lately should check the processor numbers and report.. Maybe we should let the others know on other forums?

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

yea I reported when I ordered and when mine was shipped on the other thread. i didnt win a prize :(
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The only reason I mentioned the other threads is that we find out if they are really producing the radio with the m128 now, or maybe just one, or a few....

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
rsoko

Post by rsoko »

It would be good to know if it was a fluke. Maybe I just got lucky... but hopefully they are making that change for all 9xrs.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

We'll know soon enough if people come saying they can't flash them.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

I was thinking there was another user with a 9xr that had trouble flashing. havent had a chance to follow up on it though. It is an issue to be aware of but more importantly an interesting development.
rsoko

Post by rsoko »

rperkins wrote:yes

You may want to start another thread something like ' Look I got a 9xr from HK with a M128 MCU'

This is a exciting event because it is one of the things people had questioned why HK did not do it. People will be interested in seeing what you have and if any other changes have been done.

if you can please make a high resolution picture showing the entire main board with sufficient resolution to read the numbers on the MCU.

Also
1. What day did you place your order and when did it ship
2. Did your radio come in the box and did everything look normal.
3. Does the MCU appear to be machine soldered or hand soldered ( your picture will show this )
4. Do you see any other differences between your radio and pictures of other ones on the internet.

BTW, there is a different version of firmware tailored to the 9x for a m128 processor. I know it takes advantage of the additional eeprom ( for models ) but I do not know what else it does. look around here for m128 or I can post a link.

congratulations on your unique radio
1. The radio shipped on March 16th. I bought I believe on the 10th.
2. Everything looked normal, but I have nothing to compare it too.
3. Check out the pictures. if I had to guess it is done by machine. The solder does looked like it was "flowed into the joints".
4. I have not found any differences yet.

I found out that there is a er9x128, but it is not up because most people that have them have the frysky version. Not sure if there is anything different other than more memory. Not really needing anymore than the 16 that is on the radio. I am using the 9xr as a dragonlink fpv setup. Only have a skywalker and 550x quad that will be used so far.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

rsoko wrote: Not really needing anymore than the 16 that is on the radio. I am using the 9xr as a dragonlink fpv setup. Only have a skywalker and 550x quad that will be used so far.
I can relate to that. thanks again for making the other post. That way the message will get out in case there are others like you. I cant imagine they will just start shipping with 128 as the default although stranger things have happened.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

rsoko wrote: I used a FTDI with extreme burner to reload my bootloader on my MinimOSD.
Not sure if the FTDI could be used with the 9xr to program it.
Here is the link to a FTDI that I bought and used:
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=go ... roductname
I have had really good luck with this programmer. Never an issue to load up. Not like the USBasp that has never worked for me. Maybe it is a faulty programmer.
I know you got your 9xr programmed now . Looks like I gave you some bad information concerning your FTDI programmer.
Was poking around in the avrdude.conf and found out that your FTDI board may work as a programmer with avrdude. it would use the "avrftdi" entry in the avrdude section of eepe. It may take some extra options also, IDK. Review the avrftdi section of avrdude.conf for more information. I realize you dont need to do this but the next person coming along may need this information
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I thought that to use the FTDI to flash the radio the chip would need a bootloader in it..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

That could be true. I didnt even know avrdude supported the avrftdi until yesterday :)

Since you mentioned a bootloader , That would make me think that the reset line is not utilized. So I took another peek at the avrdude.conf and it appears the reset line is utilized. If ya wanna follow along yourself the avrftdi section starts @ line 356 of my avrdude.conf. There are about 1/2 dozen url references to products.

here is someone programing atmega168 with an ftdi chip. Be advised this url is older than the current avrdude . The patches for avrdude are not needed anymore. The version of avrdude I am using is 5.11.1
http://doswa.com/2010/08/24/avrdude-5-1 ... tbang.html

and sparkfuns offering
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9716

yea I dont have an FTDI breakout, never knew it was usable in avrdude, never programmed an avr with that setup but while looking at something else stumbled upon the fact that I probably gave out wrong information earlier. So if you've gotten this far and have an FTDI breakout board, dont give up just yet, it may work to program your 9x/9xr . :)

based on the above url, changing 'ftdi' to 'avrftdi' as that is what the device is officially called now in avrdude:

maybe try this to read your existing firmware on your radio using avrdude
avrdude -c ftdi -p m64 -P ft0 -U flash:r:flash.hex:i
or
in eepe choose avrftdi as your programmer, leave the port blank and put '-P ft0' in the extra options

If you ever get one to work please report back to update this information. thanks
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

It appears they are using the bit-banging mode of the FTDI chip. So they have direct access to the IO pins, and are toggling them through software. Jhsa, you are thinking of the Arduino way which uses the serial mode of the FTDI chip.
We should make a note of the signature line from an m64 and m128. Since the first programming problem will be a signature verification failure, we can then check the signature to see which chip it is.
-Gohst
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

The picture in this post shows the avrdude error with the expected signature of an m64 and the responded signature of the m128.

http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... 104#p44928

Return to “PROGRAMMERS”