HK- USB asp programmer not recognized

rsoko

HK- USB asp programmer not recognized

Post by rsoko »

I have been trying to use my USB asp programmer from HobbyKing for a while now. I gave up a few months ago and used another programmer for my MinimOSD, but now I want to program my new 9xr with er9x...
So I got my laptop running Windows 7 recognized the USB asp once, but it won't anymore. I went online and downloaded the zip file usbasp-windriver.2011-05-28.zip. I then opened the usbasp-windriver.2011-05-28\libusb_1.2.4.0\ file and clicked on the installer file x64.exe (Suppost to help to recognize the usbasp). Then reconnected the usb asp and the laptop still says that the usb device is unknown instead of saying it is the usbasp.

rperkins

Re: HK- USB asp programmer not recognized

Post by rperkins »

you say you used another programer , the one that you used to program your MinimOSD.
Is that a usbasp device ?
If it is a usbasp device and it works on the same computer, then you dont have a driver isssue
rsoko

Post by rsoko »

When I use my USBasp I was able to once to get it to recognize and install the needed driver. When I connected the 9xr all I would get is a flickering of the ready blue LED on the tx. Then nothing would happen. I am starting to think that since the light flickered my USBasp is not powering the tx like it should. Maybe to low of a voltage. Now somehow I lost the recognizing of the USBasp.

I used a FTDI with extreme burner to reload my bootloader on my MinimOSD.
Not sure if the FTDI could be used with the 9xr to program it.
Here is the link to a FTDI that I bought and used:
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=go ... roductname
I have had really good luck with this programmer. Never an issue to load up. Not like the USBasp that has never worked for me. Maybe it is a faulty programmer.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

ok
that FTDI usb/serial device alone wont program the 9xr.

I only have a little experience setting up the windows drivers with usbasp. It was a 32bit win_vista machine. I have read issues of drivers being hard to load because they are not signed.

I would test my usbasp device without connecting the 9xr to the programmer. Plug the programmer into the computer, then open eepe and attempt to read the firmware. It will fail but the dialog will indicate whether it found the usbdevice or if it says ' can not find target'. Of course it wont find the target as it is not connected but if the drivers are correct it will find the usbasp device.

tell my more about your programmer. where did you buy it ? do you have a link to it ? There are some versions of certain usbasp devices that dont work reliably with the 9x.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

He said it was the HK USBASP, and that it's now appearing as "Unknown device".

It's likely defective, if he can find another programmer he might want to try reflashing it, but there's obviously something wrong.

rperkins

Post by rperkins »

thanks. I missed that. usually the HK programmers 'just work'
rsoko

Post by rsoko »

Sounds like I might need to order another one. Is there anything else other than the usbasp that might work better?
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

for $30 and up you can get into something that uses STK500v2 protocol. I'm not sure that I would define that as better for reprogramming a 9xr, but it is more expensive. Be aware that by default eepe is setup to use a usbasp device , but it can be configured to use any device supported by avrdude.
rsoko

Post by rsoko »

Thanks for the replies I am torn between buying a new one that might also not work or buy something else that will work.
I like that eepe is already setup for usbasp.
rsoko

Post by rsoko »

Just in case I am missing something here is my device manager screen shot. I noticed that in all of the install troubleshoot videos that usbasp showed up under other devices. Mine shows up under USB controllers. The Bluetooth Peripheral Devices were created for my quadcopter's Bluetooth connections.
Attachments
Device Manager Screen Shot.jpg
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Yea on my installation of Win Vista on a virtual machine the usbasp device is located under libusb-win32 devices
screenshot.jpg
I have some links for windows installation drivers located here. Windows drivers are not my strong suit as I typically use linux.

http://www.9xrprogrammer.com/index.php/learn/23-drivers
rsoko

Post by rsoko »

Weirdly enough at one point the USBasp was under the lib-win32 devices too. It somehow moved to the usb controllers. I think the key is getting it back to the lib-win32 devices.
rsoko

Post by rsoko »

I was able to get the USBasp recognized in device manager when I disconnected the 6 and 10 pin connnector. Not sure why it worked, but I am not complaining. I then followed the directions and installed the driver successfully. When I connect the 6 and 10 pin connector to the USBasp and 9xr the radio will not be powered by the computer. I have the jumper installed and the green LED for 02 is on.
rsoko

Post by rsoko »

I was able to stretch out and bend the 6 and 10 pin connectors. I tried plugging in the 6 pin to the 9xr both directions and the second orientation worked. Thanks again for the help!!!
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

cool. so you were able to program your radio ?
rsoko

Post by rsoko »

I am stuck at the point to flash in the eeprom. It says that AVRdude failed. I changed the config settings to usbasp and kept the other defaults at M64, USB. Then downloaded er9x from the google codes and tried to flash. Then it says that AVRdude did not finish correctly.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

AT this point it helps to have a screenshot showing the actual fault that avrdude is generating from within eepe, or whatever program you are using to flash the radio. Hey we're moving forward and that's what's important.

The scary part is when you said :
I tried plugging in the 6 pin to the 9xr both directions and the second orientation worked
It should only fit one way and will only communicate with the 9xr if properly inserted.
rsoko

Post by rsoko »

I am really happy that the USBasp is finally functional. I have had it for about a year and this is the first time I can use it. Thanks for the help and this is a good step in the right direction.
Here is the failure screen shot.
Attachments
eeprom avrdude screen shot problem flashing er9x.jpg
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

ok
you see where it says your device signature is wrong, that is the next thing to resolve. It talks about using the -F to override. Dont do it . The -F in avrdude causes more problems than it fixes. Dont use -F

I read you above saying you tried to flash er9x to the radio but the error in your screenshot was from you trying to read the eeprom. I would advise just reading the flash until you get your usbasp--->9xr communications working. That is the icon of the tX with the green arrow. Reading the MCU is safer than writing if there is a chance it will c**p out in the middle of the transaction.

For now focus on the device signature. It's weird that your signature is only off on one byte. the signature you are showing is actually for a ATmega128A, but we wont think that HK installed the wrong MCU in your unit :)

Tell me more about plugging in the 6 pin cable backwards. that doesnt make sense but I wouldnt think you'd get any response if it was plugged in backwards.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Well, if it matters yesterday I was trying my programmers in linux with companion..
Decided to try a self made USBASB running Romolo's patched firmware. I could flash my radio (Atmega128), and I could read the eeprom, no problem.
But I couldn't write the eeprom with it.. It gave me the wrong signature error.. Only when trying to write the eeprom.

Then connected the mysmartUSB Light programmer, and all worked as it should.. Flashed the eeprom.
I just posted this because I can see something similar going on here..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
rsoko

Post by rsoko »

I plugged in the USBasp upside-down first. Did not notice it was upside-down until I tried to pull out plug. It was really tight because of the plastic piece on the side of the 6 pin was touching the outside of the tx plug hole. So I flipped the 6 pin plug over and it fits in great and powers via my computer.
I tried reading from the tx and got a similar error. I attached a screen shot.
Attachments
eeprom avrdude screen shot problem flashing er9x from reading tx.jpg
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

This is still reading the eeprom. Try reading the flash which is the icon of the TX with the green arrow. We want to eliminate what JHSA experienced.

makes me feel better hearing the connection is tight. I sell a stand alone 6 to 10 pin adapter and have been having to file them to get them to fit into a 9XR. they were .1 inches too thick .
rsoko

Post by rsoko »

Here is the screenshot from the tx. :)
Attachments
eeprom avrdude screen shot problem flashing er9x from reading tx #2.jpg
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

ok :)
same error
I dont know what else to say . I would try a shorter cable if you had one. has the tX ever been opened and maybe the wires damaged?
rsoko

Post by rsoko »

I was reading about the shorter cables too. I will start looking around at how short they suggest (I might just cut down what I have). This is a new tx so it has not been opened.

Thanks again for getting me this far!
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

the weird thing about those 10 to 6 pin cables is they have to custom cut and weave the 10 conductor cable on the 6 pin end. If I was going to cut it I would cut that end. Personally I havent had any trouble with longer cables but enough people have posted about it that there must be some truth to it. The 10 pin end is just 'place cable and crimp'.
rsoko

Post by rsoko »

I was able to upload the firmware! So far it is now working. I changed the setting from m64 in config to m128. Figured I would try all options before cutting the cable. Glad it worked. Hopefully that will not mess anything up. It does say that it wrote successfully and I was able to calibrate the tx. I also created models in the memory and successfully wrote the memory.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

wow

if you open the tx I'd like to see a picture of it. In fact we'd all like to see a picture of this I'm sure. Specifically the numbers on the MCU, the main chip in the center of the main board

There is another thread where a user is having trouble programming a 9xr. got me wondering now.

glad you got it working though. Have fun
rsoko

Post by rsoko »

I will open it up tomorrow and take some pictures for you. Thanks again for the help!!! The capabilities of this software blow my dx7 out of the water so far.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

cool. I'd like to know if it was a fluke, a manufacturing error, or a product change.

Return to “PROGRAMMERS”