Unable to flash brand new 9x

woodc

Unable to flash brand new 9x

Post by woodc »

I recently (December) purchased a new 9x from HobbyKing and have had no luck at all getting it to talk with avrdude.

After multiple hours of trolling the web, watching videos, reading posts I still receive the initialization failed, rc=-1 error

I have double checked my connections, even removed them all and started over once. Confirmed them with a multimeter to not be shorted and that they go to the correct pins. I have tried 2 different tinyUSB programmers and 3 different computers (2 win7 64 bit, one 32 bit)

eePe is no different, all I get is the aforementioned error and an angry beep from the TX when I send it a command. Playing with -B 32 did not change anything.

Is it possible something changed in these latest models? It does have the V2 pad for the SCK FWIW.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am about ready to give up due to the hours and hours this has cost already :(

rperkins

Re: Unable to flash brand new 9x

Post by rperkins »

Hi.
Welcome to the forum.
What kind of programmers did you get ?
Most are usbasp compatible but a few arent.

Does your screen on your 9x come alive when your programmer is plugged into the computer and the 9x, even with the power switch of on the 9x? It should.

Does the little chip on your programmer sit @ 45 degree angle ?
If so some of those lately have been shipping with a resistor pack value that is causing problems.

Next i would consider removing the 47uf capacitor from the reset line. It is located near the crystal on the main pcb of the 9x.

Good luck
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Don't give up. Does the tx still power up as normal so we're good there?
If your soldering in the programmer and have the HK one I might suggest use that setup. It does work first time, at least in the 8 TXs I've modified. There will be a SCK error message you can ignore. Other programmers and FW will not give you that error but for now you just want it all to work,
More mod details of everything you've done on your board and pictures of hour programming connections will help a lot in finding out what's wrong of it's hardware. As for drivers, do your programmers show up in the device manager as being installed. I use XP for these projects so I can't help with W7 but others can.
Let's review it all after you update us on your work and you should get it going.
You've come to the right place for help, welcome.
SM
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360357685.903534.jpg
Typical programmer pads used for V2 board.
Detailed pictures in wiki.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Please check that your SCK pad goes to the right pin. Please compare with the picture showmaster just posted above. If I'm not mistaken is the 6th pin counting from the right..

Good luck and don't give up. I had a similar problem when I replaced the chip on my radio with an atmega128, only to find out that the problem was the programmer.. You will fix it.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
woodc

Post by woodc »

Both of the programmers I purchased were USBtiny as I read initially they were explicitly supported.

I have removed all of the cabling yet again and in doing so the pad in between the 7th resistor and the pin on the chip. I just confirmed with a quick flight that the TX still seems to work as expected for normal flight functions so for today I am going to quit while I am ahead lest in frustration I make more mistakes. Once I reconnect everything I will touch base again. Thanks so much for all of the replies!

woodc

Post by woodc »

The screen on the TX does light up and it seems to be happy

The drivers appear happy; shows in device manager as USBtiny with no exclamation mark
volumax

Post by volumax »

woodc im having the same proble=================================================================================
Started AVRDUDE
C:/Program Files/eePe/avrdude.exe -c usbasp -p m64 -U eeprom:r:C:/Users/DR49E2~1.LES/AppData/Local/Temp/temp.hex:i
=================================================================================

avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude.exe: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

=================================================================================
AVRDUDE done - exit code 1

Have you found a solution?
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

1. Dont be concerned about the 'cannot set SCK period' for now. Most chinese usbasp's generate that warning.
2. 'Target doesnt answer' . That means avrdude ( the computer ) can see your programmer but it cant see your transmitter ( the target )
3. 'Double Check connections' Yes that is what you should do.
4 ' use -F to override ' Dont do it . wont work and will just cause you problems. Dont do it.

One other person lately got it working by using a shorter ribbon cable. I've had my best luck removing the capacitor on the reset line. good luck.

Expect to be asked for pictures of your board showing exactly where you soldered it in. We like to look at that stuff :)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Can you please post a good picture of your board? :mrgreen: One that shows very well where you soldered the programmer's pins...
We love to look at pictures.. :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
volumax

Post by volumax »

Here is the pic of the board
Attachments
IMG-20130220-00709.jpg
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

check your connections again and again, make sure your front switches are positioned up towards the antenna, and the top switches towards the back of the radio..
Picture of your programmer? both sides if possible?
I know this is a pain but but people have been able to sort problems out this way.. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Might help to unplug the backlight if you are going to power it from the programmer too. I see you haven't removed the reset capacitor yet.
-Gohst
volumax

Post by volumax »

so you guys think if I get the hobbyking programmer I am most likely good to go without doing the reset cap removal?
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Why dont you remove the cap and try it. Just to the right of the MCU is a crystal . It looks like a silver can. Below that is a BIG yellow smd capacitor. It has a line on one side. It probably says 476 on it. That is the reset capacitor. Take it out. Note which side the line is on in case you decide to reinstall it. It is a polarized capacitor. I've never used the HK programmer. Others have and had success , even with the reset cap.
thomas9x

Post by thomas9x »

Both of the programmers I purchased were USBtiny as I read initially they were explicitly supported.
I'm no expert on the USBtiny, but the schematic I found to one version of it shows 1.5K ohms on MOSI and SCK signals. Those values are not compatible with the 9x.

See this schematic that shows the offending 1.5K resistors:
http://www.ladyada.net/images/usbtinyis ... sp2sch.png

Your USBtiny may be different. Post the schematic so we can check out what you bought. If yours has resistors on MOSI, MISO, SCK, or RST then they need to be very low values (0 to 47 ohms).

BTW, I searched the forum for "USBtiny " and didn't see anyone reporting success with it. So the first thing to check are the resistors. If that does not help, then you may need a different programmer.

- Thomas
drifter

Post by drifter »

Hi, I am also unable to flash my new Turnigy 9X V2. I am using the USBtinyISP v3.0 and have found that it does indeed have the 1k5 resistors. Would it be ok to bridge them out or should I replace them with a small value.
drifter

Post by drifter »

Sorry, I can answer my own question. I soldered a jumper wire acroee each of the resistors connected to MOSI and SCK and it works now.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

for use in programming a 9x it is probably fine to remove them or 'bridge them out '. Here is a conversation concerning these resistors. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2767.

If you plan on using your USBtinyISP for a wide range of programming needs outside of the 9x you may want to consider using a smaller value resistor. 100 ohms works in some cases.

pre submit EDIT -- glad you got it going. posting this for reference
volumax

Post by volumax »

can you post pictures of what you did on the programmer, thanks
volumax

Post by volumax »

Hey guys a little update, a friend lent me his hk programmer and everything worked fine radio is running open9x right now, thanks for the help!

Return to “PROGRAMMERS”