Invalid binary EEPROM File

A fork of eePe. It's aim is to provide one tool that works with ALL firmwares!
roymar2

Post by roymar2 »

Cannot read TX Eeprom file. I get the following:

C:/Users/Dean/AppData/Local/Temp/temp.bin
and other errors, see attached.
Running Windows 8 with driver sig off mode. Drive info is not digitally signed to work in Windows 8 in normal mode.

Running Companion9x Ver. 1692 Please help, Checked all connections but cannot read TX.

Is there a way to test writing to the TX to see if it is working?

skylark

Re: Invalid binary EEPROM File

Post by skylark »

roymar2 wrote:Cannot read TX Eeprom file. I get the following:

C:/Users/Dean/AppData/Local/Temp/temp.bin
and other errors, see attached.
Running Windows 8 with driver sig off mode. Drive info is not digitally signed to work in Windows 8 in normal mode.

Running Companion9x Ver. 1692 Please help, Checked all connections but cannot read TX.

Is there a way to test writing to the TX to see if it is working?
Hi roymar2, that screenshot does not look correct to me. More info please. Did you also install sam-ba?, and was C9x configured correctly ?.
He who knows not and knows not he knows not, is a fool: SHUN HIM.

He who knows and knows he knows, is a wise man : SEEK HIM

But he who knows not and knows he knows not, is a baby: TEACH HIM.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Sam-ba?? avrdude is configured to the m64..
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

You have a warning saying the device signature is wrong. The programmer is not communicating properly with the mcu in the 9x
Has it worked properly for you in the past or is this your first attempt ?
The Sck warning tells me you have chinese usbasp.
Does the little chip on the programmer sit at 45 degrees ?
Did you find a 47uf cap on the 9x reset line and remove it ?
What firmware are you putting on the 9x. Open9x ?
roymar2

Post by roymar2 »

Hi thanks for the reply. I am new at this and it is the first time I used the programmer.
The programmer is from HK, chip is not at 45 degrees.
I did not know I had to remove a 47uf cap from the TX. Would like to know.
I'll look for it in the mean time.
Should it get a different programmer
Sck warning? Are you saying not to use this Chinese usbasp?
I was going to flash open9x on Turnigy 9x with Fr SKY DJT Telemetry module unit.
Attachments
10 Pin header on TX.jpg
Programer.jpg
Solder joints in TX.jpg
Wireing inside TX.jpg
Last edited by roymar2 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roymar2

Post by roymar2 »

What is a Sam-ba and how should I configured avrdude to the m64?
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

Why do you have added -F ?
The target does not respond means that the connections are not done properly...

Remove that -F
It can only be source of troubles....

You don't need samba neither nothing else, you only need to check connections.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

yes. Remove the -F
The connections arent completely wrong because you are getting a signature back, it's just the wrong one ?

The SCK warning is ok. It just limits your options . Dont worry about that now.

The first thing to do is locate and remove the large cap on the reset line
This post is mainly talking about a different programmer but there is a picture showing the reset cap in purple highlight
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2571&p=38238#p38238

Once you get the 9x talking to your computer. Are you going to put open9x on your TX ?
The reason I ask is the latest I've heard is:
use companionx for open9x
use eepe for er9x

hth
roymar2

Post by roymar2 »

Hi

I took out the large cap on the reset line(47uF) this morning and try to read the eerpom and the flash memory On the Tx (original 9X firmware).
Still get errors reading as showing in pictures.
I have included a image of the preferences. What should I have there?

Again I am not trying to put any firmware on the Tx right now. I am trying to backup what I have on it right now (original 9X firmware).
In the mean time I have ordered a new programmer form [email protected] Should I put back the cap.

Running Companion9x Ver. 1.15 Rev 1670 on Windows 8

Thank for you time..................... I'm doing something wrong or don't understand Roy
Attachments
Preferences.jpg
Configuration AVRDUDE_SAM_BA.jpg
AVRDUDE_Read EEPROM From Tx.jpg
AVRDUDE_Read flash From Tx.jpg
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Thats a diifferent error than your original one. the original one shows a device signature but the wrong one. but now I read up above that it says ' target doesnt answer'. So then I'm scratching my head. If it doesnt answer then how is it getting a signature , even if it is the wrong one ? Then I think ' aha ', maybe it's because he forced it with the -F switch. . Sorry, the -F switch changed the error response and that confused me :oops:

So what Romolo said is right. 'The target does not respond means that the connections are not done properly...'

I'd leave the cap off. The programmer you have should be able to get you going when you get the connections correct. Thanks for your order. I just checked and it shipped yesterday.

Does the transmitter still turn on properly ? Nothing is shorted out keeping it from turning on.
Triple check your connections. I looked at your pics and didnt see anything. I couldnt see all of it but it did look like you got the orientation of your installed socket proper. I did notice that not all your grounds were connected but I imagine all the grounds on your programmer are connected together. couldnt see that side of it , but they are probably connected.
roymar2

Post by roymar2 »

Yes the Tx turn on fine and I can fly.
I do not turn the Tx on when the Programmer is plugged in to use Companion9x program. jumper is on the programmer.
Screen on Tx shows TURNIGY splash screen.

Checked all connections again All fine and ring out correct. All grounds are connected together on programmer.
Will check connection again.
I am not a newbie at wiring things up. have made PC boards and made my own CNC for engraving. Play around Arduino stuff also

Getting frustrated but will stay with it till I get it working
Thanks again Roy
PS Maybe your programmer will work
roymar2

Post by roymar2 »

Picture of 10 pin header as I rang it out
Attachments
10 Pin header on TX.jpg
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Yes followed your wires as best i could by the picture. Couldnt see anything. I' ve read win8 can be problematic, but avrdude is seeing your programmer, so that's looking good. Your programmer looks like the hobbyking one, people have had success with that. It is a usbasp programmer.

If you wanna test it out now , before the replacement programmer arrives, the arduino can be used as a programmer. I have never done it though
http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

This link is actually closer to what i was mentioning above with the arduino. Somewhere i' ve seen a perfect tuutorial outlining this but cant find it right now.
http://hackaday.com/2009/07/15/avr-isp- ... -arduino/9
roymar2

Post by roymar2 »

Hi It's me Again, Roy

I received you programmer last week but because of the power outage here in Carver, MA could not try it.
Tried this morning with the same results trying to back up what is on my TX now.
Starting over! I think I am not using EEPROM or Companion9x the correct way.

First question, can either program read my Tx that has the original Turnigt 9x flash memory or the eeprom form the TX? I was trying to do this for backup what I have in the TX before I flash with new firmware Like Open9x or ER9x.

I think ER9x has to be flashed with eeP and open9x with companion9x, is that right?

I'll wait for answer before I ask anymore Or is there a how to on this subject some where?

Roy
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Ok
so if you question is:

Can I backup the EEprom of the original stock 9x firmware ? I think the answer is no . eepe does not understand the format. This is where the models, and settings are stored. see gohsthb's post below. So yea you can back up the eeprom, you just cant view the stock eeprom in eepe.

Can I backup the Flash of the original stock 9x firmware ? I think the answer is yes. eepe just calls avrdude to copy the flash to your computer. Then you could go back to the original stock firmware at a later time. You would have to recreate all your models and settings.

Hopefully someone will correct me, but I'm pretty sure it's true.
I dont know if this is covered in the wiki. Once verified by someone I'll put it in there if it isnt already there.

yes
er9x --> use eepe
open9x --> companion9x
Dont think this is etched in stone, but for the best results. My understanding is the development of the firmware(er9x) requires changes in the software( eepe) and this is how they are paired up. My only personal isssue was that a model saved in eepe, as an .eepm, could not be used in companion9x. this was about a month ago but I lose track of time easy.

thanks for the feedback about the shipping of the programmer. I wanna get all the feedback I can so if I gotta change something before the next batch gets delivered.
Last edited by rperkins on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Using eepe anyway, I just don't use companion enough, you can backup both the eeprom and flash from your transmitter. Companion probably has the same menus. Epee doesn't understand the eeprom format, so it will complain if you try to open it. What you need to do is use the Burn menu "Read eeprom to file" option. This will read the eeprom from the Tx directly to a file on the disk. To restore it, use the opposite command "Write eeprom from file". The flash side works the same way, simply use the command "to" or "from" file.
-Gohst
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Thanks for the clarification . After i get settled in at work I'll check/update the wiki
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

There are several video guides in the wiki showing eepe in action. Not sure if they exactly meet your need. My screen is too small and it's way too noisy at work. Wasnt able to locate a text based guide to eepe.
http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... deo_Guides

Now that you have 2 programmers you can hook them up to each other to verify your usbasp drivers and programmer cable are good. That would pretty much narrow it to the wires you soldered to the 9x mcu
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1363

This post shows the principle. Although instead of the arduino, substitute the other programmer. Note- the avrdude syntax will be different if you dont use the arduino. If ya wanna go down this path, let me know. Note2- if you go the arduino route i had trouble with the arduinoisp sketch this weekend. Upgrading to the latest source fixed it. 1.0.1 didnt work. I'd read reports of other versions that had problems also.
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?PHPSE ... msg1112141
roymar2

Post by roymar2 »

Hi
I'm done playing around trying to save me old TX info. Biting the bullet and flashing Open9x to Turnigy 9X.

But first I am having a hard time picking the right Open9X firmware.
I have Turnigy 9X with a Fr Sky DJT Telemetry module and Fr Sky D8R II plus reciver. Going to use companion9X version 1.17. My multi is a DJI f450 kit with Naza, GPS, and Gimbal for camera.
Witch and where do I download the right version. ( hex or bin? )
How do I delet my posts or shouldn't I?
Thanks for all your time
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

roymar2 wrote:But first I am having a hard time picking the right Open9X firmware. I have Turnigy 9X with a Fr Sky DJT Telemetry module and Fr Sky D8R II plus reciver.
Are you hoping to use the telemetry functions of the Frsky system? From the pictures you have posted, it looks like you haven't done the modifications to enable that to be used. So don't tick the the Frsky option in the preferences in Companion, otherewise you will get a switch error on power up.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

rperkins wrote: Wasnt able to locate a text based guide to eepe.
Eepe section on the wiki:
http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... _life_easy

-Gohst
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

roymar2 wrote: Witch and where do I download the right version. ( hex or bin? )
You download and install companion9x, and then select your options and download the hex from the preferences dialog.

Sent via mobile
roymar2

Post by roymar2 »

Hi all

I flashed my Turnigy 9x with Open9x. Did a little setup and got to fly.

Having problem of setting switched to get GPS, Altt, Manual on 3 poison switch. If I don't have that I can not calibrate the campus. Also tiring to set up the gear switch for Fail Safe.

Right now I have the Ele sw for GPS and Atti. The 3 poison sw for Off, Course Lock, and Home Lock.

Any help here or videos?

Roy PS How do I get ride of my prier post?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Create a mix with source 3POS on the channel you need. Adjust LIMITS for that channel while looking at your controller's setup program to get the values right.
roymar2

Post by roymar2 »

Have Naza FC,GPSand F450 fram, Turnigy 9X TX with Open9X.

Fly well but I have to keep triming to the right and trim back to stay stable with GPS.
Go to setup in TX and set this offset for the trim markers to be zero.
Each time I fly I have retrim and it goes on and on. Will not take the set.

Any answers?

Roy
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Check the ANAS screen that the value for that stick always comes back to zero when you move the stick and let it go back to center. You might have a defective pot/gimbal.
roymar2

Post by roymar2 »

They return to 0 +-.1. Tried this many times.
My offset the first time goes to 25 for ch1 and -25 for ch2. Then fly again have to use the trim on TX. Reset the offset they go to 50 ch1 & -50 ch2.
keep jumping by 25 each time.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I don't understand. Are you talking of the trim tabs moving by themselves, or the offset setting on the limits screen?

Wouldn't you by any chance be activating the "Instant Trim" custom function?
roymar2

Post by roymar2 »

I guess I'm not explaining this right.

First I cal. GPS and campus. Set course lock.
Take off with all trims marker at center on tx. ( ch1 & ch2 at 0 )
Than I have to trim ch1 to make it not go forward and not go left. (then ch1at 25 & ch2 at -25 ) Land and set the offset on the Limits screen to the trim I had to make
Fly like this till batt is About 4min. Trims marker at center on tx
Replace the batt. Take off and need to use the trim to stop going forward and to the left again. Land and set the offset on the Limits screen to the trim I had to make.
Keep jumping by 25 each time on the limits screen each time I replace the batt, to fly. Fly's fine after I manually trim after airborne. But will not stay after doing the offsets on the Limits screen.

Return to “companion9x”