USB Relocation

General mods that are considered worth doing; regardless of the end firmware you use.
Scott Page

USB Relocation

Post by Scott Page »

I got tired of pulling the battery case cover off every time I wanted to hook the TX to the computer. I removed the charging plug -- since it's not used by me anyway -- and used hot melt glue to mount the USB connection -- slightly recessed -- into it's place.

Romolo
9x Developer

Re: USB Relocation

Post by Romolo »

I replaced the USB connector on a cheap USBASP with a female one and I placed the USBASP inside the radio in this way...
Attachments
USBPLUGTMB.JPG
Marty

Post by Marty »

That looks great, I will do the same adoption. can you make some picture from the inside, how the USB adater fits there?

Thanks.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Ok, after getting ideas from this forum, finally decided what I really want for both charging adaptor and USB connection. I am tired of opening up the batt cover every time to charge or update/backup my eepe/Er9xFW. ;)

Here is what I think 'ideal'
The original charging connector with a PS2 connector giving me 6 wires for 3S LiFe balancing and charge. then drill a hole at the bottom of the Tx and turn the SP board's USB 90 degee downward. This way, charging adaptor is fixed to the bottom half of The Tx while the USB is with the top half of the Tx. There won't be any tangling of wires if I need to open up the Tx to do any mod in the future. :)

Never have to open up the Tx again. :mrgreen: (unless mod for Tx boards)
Attachments
It works!  :)
It works! :)
charging is where it supposed to be and USb at the bottom of Tx.
charging is where it supposed to be and USb at the bottom of Tx.
USB port in the top half of Tx.
USB port in the top half of Tx.
charging adapter in the bottom half of Tx with battery.
charging adapter in the bottom half of Tx with battery.
PS2 adaptor and charging cord.
PS2 adaptor and charging cord.
bill516

Post by bill516 »

I used one of those din connectors for my flashing port, but instead of trying to solder six wires on the those pins I used female servo terminals on the wires with heat shrink the and just pushed them on. OK I did try to solder wires but ended up melting plastic around the pins, the servo terminals are a good fit and the worst that can happen is I cant flash if a wire comes off. I also left the heat shrink a bit longer so the bare end of the terminal is inside the heat shrink so no fear of a short.

kaos

Post by kaos »

Bill516:
I made a soldering tip like a tapered flat screw driver out of a 4 mm copper wire , from your suggestion, and did those soldering. :) Flux, flux more flux! :mrgreen:
1st one took me 10 min the last 6 took me 6 min. ;)
bill516

Post by bill516 »

Glad the hear some my ideas work.

Return to “Electronic Mods”