Boot probleem r1331

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
Peter

Boot probleem r1331

Post by Peter »

Today I couldn't get the transmitter on. It was stuck on the boot animation. Some dots on the screen.. I had to remove the battery. Open9x revision 1331. Boot logo was disabled.

And I had a momentary custom switch > 100m with a play value ALT. And it kept playing. But I am using my own sensonhub and recently changed the code, so that could be the problem. I will look into that. Does anyone know what the bit layout of a negative value of altitude is in the Frsky protocol?

bertrand35
9x Developer

Re: Boot probleem r1331

Post by bertrand35 »

I have fixed the bug with Orphee. It was the SD Initialization which I have changed to be quicker, and with some SD cards it's not ok.
I will commit as soon as all tests are Ok.
Bertrand.

EDIT: Orphee just confirmed it's ok on his board. I release in a few minutes.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

r1336 released
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Peter wrote:Today I couldn't get the transmitter on. It was stuck on the boot animation. Some dots on the screen.. I had to remove the battery. Open9x revision 1331. Boot logo was disabled.

And I had a momentary custom switch > 100m with a play value ALT. And it kept playing. But I am using my own sensonhub and recently changed the code, so that could be the problem. I will look into that. Does anyone know what the bit layout of a negative value of altitude is in the Frsky protocol?
If my memory is right, there is no negative altitudes in FrSky protocol. But all altitudes do have an offset. The first altitude which is received is considered as the 0-reference. So if you fly below pilot altitude, open9x will report it as a negative altitude.

Last revision should be ok, you will have the possibility to use the |d| > ofs function to play the altitude only when it increases / decreases by X meters.

Bertrand.
Peter

Post by Peter »

I couldn't find any negative altitude info either. But the problem is that I fly under sea level. We have dikes here in holland!
So the start level is negative. I could keep an offset in the sensorhub to correct it.
But can someone acknowledge that the Frsky sensorhub and field display don't report negative height?

If it is not there, maybe it is an idea to add it. I doubt that anyone flies above 32000 meters. So the most significant bit is never used.

bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

But even at a negative absolute altitude, the FrSky "baro" sensor will report a positive altitude. We keep it as the 0-reference and use an int16_t to store it!
Bertrand.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Correct. All these barometers seem to auto calibrate 0 at the height the system is powered on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Rob Thomson wrote:Correct. All these barometers seem to auto calibrate 0 at the height the system is powered on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Not exactly! You are using the Thermal Scout, which auto calibrates to 0 - it would be interesting to try it in Holland ;)
But the FrSky doesn't auto calibrate, it's the FW on the Tx which does it: the 1st altitude received is considered as the offset, and therefore negative altitudes should be correctly displayed.

Bertrand.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Oh.... so they must use an internal reference to what they believe sea level is?

I cant imaging this would be very accurate?

Rob
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yeah the frsky baro and such seem to have a fixed QNH... when I power up mine it will show "more or less" my place's altitude.

So if the protocol can't send negative numbers, then there's no way to get a display below sea level, even if open9x stores the zero itself - the frsky baro will just be sending 0 all the time.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

... or garbage, it would be interesting to know ...
Bertrand.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yep, can't exclude that possibility indeed!
Peter

Post by Peter »

I have looking through Frsky.cpp and I can't find a reason why negative wouldn't work. The important variables are all int16_t. Maybe I was fooled by the automatic offset.
I will test it further, but first a Leffe beer and watching Snow White and the Huntsman with my wife.. :-)
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Peter wrote:I have looking through Frsky.cpp and I can't find a reason why negative wouldn't work. The important variables are all int16_t. Maybe I was fooled by the automatic offset.
I will test it further, but first a Leffe beer and watching Snow White and the Huntsman with my wife.. :-)
In my opinion, the problem is not in frsky.cpp, but in the sensor (or the Hub). It would be interesting to know what it returns in this case. I will ask to Eva.
Bertrand.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Just put it in your mouth and add some pressure, you'll see soon enough :D
Peter

Post by Peter »

That might actually work! To bad it is build into a plane. I have a big mouth, but a whole plane... :-D
Peter

Post by Peter »

I just tested the negative altitude with some test code in an arduino connected to the serial of the receiver.
It just works!
My sensor code already had automatic offset code. When I disabled that, I expected to see a negative value, but I kept seeing 0 at the transmitter.
But I didn't know the transmitter also has automatic offset code.

Bottomline: open9x is awsome!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

OK, so now you know that negative numbers can go through the telemetry link - now to see if the sensor actually sends some ;)

Return to “openTx”