Trying to install dsm into an empty module

Like DSM2/DSMX? Want to mod your radio to support it? Post your messages here!
rifled

Trying to install dsm into an empty module

Post by rifled »

I just fried my turnigy 9x by being stupid and plugging the battery in backwards. I have another one on the way and now I have the old turnigy module. I would like to empty it out and place a 3.3v bec and the dsm module from my hp6dsm inside so I can switch easily between my factory flysky module to my new dsm module. I assume all the required pins are present but I don't know if it is safe to power the bec from the voltage present on the pins in the back of the radio.

I am trying to avoid perminantely installing the dsm module inside the transmitter and then having to install a switch to control power to the modules. If anyone could provide me with instructions to build the module I would greatly appreciate it.

Also does anyone know if I can buy a fly sky module with the antenna attached to the back of the module that would be compatible with the original receivers so I don't have to mess with the original antenna coax?
Thank you,

rperkins

Re: Trying to install dsm into an empty module

Post by rperkins »

Yes i installed the bec and the tx module in a case and powered the bec from the pogo pin on the tx. I did take the shrink wrap off the bec and re arrange the capacitors to get the whole thing to fit properly. My space was tight as I also relocated the antenna to the rear of the module case. This is less than ideal as the 9x rests upon the antenna when tx is laying on table.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

you could try to repair your board or maybe send it to someone near you that could do it for you in case you're not good with the soldering iron..
Of course for someone to offer help they will need to know your location..

Joao
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
rifled

Post by rifled »

I live in rhode island but there were several burnt traces on the board so I was Leary about trying to fix it in case something went wrong and I lost the plane. I was able to get a brand new one from hobbypartz for 75.00 so it is worth the peace of mind to get a different one.

Rperkins. Could you tell me which pins you connected where? I'm completely new at this and don't want to fry another radio. I'm sorry if this question was answered elsewhere. I searched but could only find people saying it works but I'm at the stage that I kinda need a step by step procedure to follow. Thanks again for any help.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Sorry but at work at the moment.
Thinking the wiki on this site has some help

http://www.hacksmods.com/2011/12/spektr ... om-hp6dsm/
This one helped me out a lot also.

Search for a 9x schematic to get the pinouts of the pogo pins at the back of the 9x.
If i recall you only use 3 of them.
A. 5v which goes to the 3.3v bec which in turn powers the module.
B. Gnd
C. 9x serial data output which is ran thru a diode to lower voltage to 3..3v, . Other side of diode to serial input of module.

Concerning frying traces on the 9x board. I went to confirm the 5v supply on the pogo pin and shortedmit to ground with the lead from my multimeter. This burned a trace on the back side (i think) of the small board in the center of the tx. The board with the on off switch.

You could always repair your existing tx and use it to test out your module modification. Once the module is complete move it to your virgin 9x. Plus repairing the burnt 9x is good practice.

Hth

Return to “DSM2/DSMX Mods”