ErskyTx on X20

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: ErskyTx on X20

Post by MikeB »

Please could you create a "raw log file" of the data being received, instructions here: viewtopic.php?p=155729&hilit=raw#p155729. Zip the file up and post it for me to look at.

While logging the data, you could try binding.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

andytransonic

Post by andytransonic »

BLT-2023-05-20.csv
(8.05 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
Attempted Binding while logging data
andytransonic

Post by andytransonic »

Don't think previous file was Raw. Cannot attach the file as it says 'cannot attach with extension .raw'
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I do need the .raw file, you may attach it if you put it in a .zip file (in windows, right click on the file and select "send to", then select "compressed (zipped) folder").

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
andytransonic

Post by andytransonic »

Attached zip
Attachments
BLT-2023-05-20.zip
(510 Bytes) Downloaded 117 times

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Looks basically correct. There is likely something I don't know about the X20S hardware. I've built a special version of erskyTx hat manages to "snoop" on certain things while Ethos is running. If you would be so good as to follow the following I should get some very useful information.
Attached is a "17a" version of erskyTx (Now removed as r18 released).
1. Copy "erskytx_x20_h.bin" to the root of the SD card.
2. Copy "erskytx_x20_l.bin" to the root of the SD card and rename it to "firmware.bin.
3. Start the radio normally, erskyTx will run, then create a new composite file. You need to use this version for the creation as it adds the "snooping" in.
4. When the creation completes eithr press the encoder button or touch the "Yes" on the display.
5. Restart in bootloader mode and let the composite file be flashed.
6. Run Ethos with the internal module enabled. While running move the rotary encoder as this may be needed to cause the "snooping" to happen.
7. Power off, then restart in erskyTx mode. Go to the "DEBUG" screen and let me know the values it displays. It should look like this:
dump.png
dump.png (5.63 KiB) Viewed 87317 times
I created that image using the screenshot function (Configure a screenshot switch in "Radio Setup|General", then just enable the switch with the screen showing. It creates a .BMP file that is 751K in size. I used an image editing program to make it smaller and convert to .png format, but if you create a screenshot file, just put it in a .zip file and post it (the example above zips into a file only 8k in size.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
andytransonic

Post by andytransonic »

Screenshot on ETHOS internal ACCST v2 D16
Attachments
ETHOS_ACCSTV2_D16.zip
(5.14 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
andytransonic

Post by andytransonic »

Would you like me to send you a similar. This time running ETHOS on Tandem iInternal ?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The "snooping" didn't work. What version of Ethos are you using? It may be something has changed so the snooping is not correct.
Please confirm you used "r17a" to create the composite file.
Please confirm "r17a" is running when you have the dual boot working.
Please confirm you ran Ethos (and moved the encoder) before going back to erskyTx and taking the screenshot.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
andytransonic

Post by andytransonic »

Using Ethos 1.4.8. Their bootloader is 1.4.3.
While following the steps at Step 4 after pressing Encoder button or touching 'Yes", nothing happens.
Under Vers I get erskyTX-17a.
Yes, ran Ethos and moved the Encoder before going back to erskyTX and taking the screenshot.
Created Composite size 5740544 bytes.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I can't see any reason for the "snooping" not to work (I've checked 1.4.8 should be OK).
Please could you repeat building the composite file (and flash it), knowing you have 17a running. At step 4, the top few lines on the display should be blank and then, when you use the encoder button or touch the screen, the "Yes/No" should disappear and the top lines have text again.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
andytransonic

Post by andytransonic »

Went through the steps once more
Attachments
screen-2023-05-23-164050.zip
(7 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, that worked so I have something to look at!

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've found a small bug that may explain the problem and I also understand more about how to detect the board type.
I think erskyTx on your X20S is making the wrong decision on the board type, and then failing to enable power to the internal module correctly.
I'm working on the corrections and hope to post an update tomorrow.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
andytransonic

Post by andytransonic »

:D
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Try this "17b" (Now removed as r18 released).
It still does the "snooping", but, hopefully, it should detect the board type correctly and power the internal module correctly.
The Debug menu has an extra line with information from erskyTx as well as the snooping data from Ethos.
If erskyTx binds and operates the Rx OK, I don't need the snooping data from Ethos.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
andytransonic

Post by andytransonic »

Loaded r17b. Power on starts erskyTX. Version shows r17b. Try to bind X8R ACCST v2.1.0. Same situation as earlier. Rx displays steady half green and half red . No servo movement. Power down and try to start ETHOS through RTN and power switch combo. Nothing starts and screen is dead. Pressing encoder brings up bootloader 1.4.3. Power down and again power up , screen off and nothing happens. RTN and power switch combo,- nothing happens. Press Encoder, bootloader 1.4.3. Power down.This time power up holding RTN , erskyTX starts. Power down and try to boot to ETHOS with RTN power switch combo. Nothing happens. Attaching screenshot of debug.
Attachments
screen-2023-05-25-101934.zip
(6.77 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

This should fix the problem of Ethos not running (Now removed as r18 released). Check the next post!
What do you get fro the HW and FW versions of the internal module?
Mine reports: TD-ISRM HW:1.4.0 FW:2.2.2 (EU-LBT).

I may need to improve the snooping! Are you still running Ethos 1.4.8 FCC? I will likely need to snoop in places specific to that version of Ethos.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

This might sort the problem. It seems I hit a FCC/EU-LBT problem. I probably need to do something better than here in 17d, but this should work (Now removed as r18 released).
In the protocol menu, when you select ACCST, there is an entry for "Country". This now selects between FCC and EULBT.
I was causing EULBT to be used always, so assuming your radio is FCC, this explains why erskyTx didn't bind/control servos.
It seems Ethos can change the mode of the module as I flashed 1.4.8 FCC, and then the module reports it is FCC. When I had an EU version flashed the module reported it is EU.
I did a bind from Ethos (FCC), then when I swap to erskyTx, the Rx only responds if the country is set to FCC.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
andytransonic

Post by andytransonic »

Loaded r17d. Ethos came back. Can dual boot. Could bind Rx in erskyTX ACCST and servos working as they should. Initially servo didn't respond. I had expected AETR. Your Mixer screen shows RETA. Realised my mistake. Channel 1 immediately responded to Rudder stick. Booted into ETHOS. Internal Module shows TS-ISRM. HW: 1.4.0 FW : 2.2.4 (FCC). Firmware Ethos-X20S. Firmware Version 1.4.8, FCC #23c0d292. Date Apr 7 2023,21:25:00.
Trust this helps. If you would like me to perform any other tests, do let me know. Thank you for all the great work you do for us.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Good, looks like I now know what I need to do for FCC/EU-LBT. I'll do a r18 with the snooping removed.
The default channel order (used when creating a new model or applying a template) is set in "Radio Setup|Controls". If you change it to AETR, then apply the "Simple 4-CH" template to your model(s), you will get the AETR order in the mixes.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

r18 now posted.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
andytransonic

Post by andytransonic »

All working good till now. But this morning I upgraded ETHOS to 1.4.9 from 1.4.8 using the ETHOS Suite. Now I cannot boot to ErskyTX by pressing Rtn and Power. Is there a workaround for this ? Or do I have to reinstall r18 ?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll check, it is quite possible that ETHOS has now become larger than the space allowed by erskyTx. I can easily build erskyTx to give ETHOS more space.
If you updated ETHOS using Suite, it will remove the dual boot bit added when building the composite file.

Mike

Edit: Size is OK, but you need to rebuild the composite file.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've now posted r19.
I found out how to support using the 900MHz part of the ISRM, and also how to enable TD mode, so these are in the protocol menu.
Several other menus are now "touch friendly".
In the "Model Select" menu, you may also "Restore" a .eepm file to an empty slot. This .eepm file is a file exported from eepskye from older radios running erskyTx, the X20 will convert it to the newer format now used.
This appears to work well. I restored the model file from a X9D+, and, after binding, all looks correct, and I was able to fly the 'plane with no other changes. The plane actually has a D8R-XP running UNI firmware in it with the older "hub" type sensors.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Now posted r20.
This supports LUA scripts as well as BASIC scripts.
Both are only for "standalone" scripts at present.

MIke
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Now posted r21.
There are now 8 flight modes available (was 7).
New feature: INPUTS. These are like the inputs of openTx/edgeTx. You still have the DR/EXPO menu, and this still functions and is an easy way to handle triple rates and expo on the sticks. INPUTS provides similar functionality for the sticks, but also provides the same for other sources (e.g. pots/sliders).
INPUTS are accessed from the mixer option. The popup that showed Mixer and Templates now also shows Inputs.
The encoder wheel has some acceleration when changing values, so moving the encoder fast results in larger changes.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”