please hold my hand updating ancient firmware (orginal x9D))

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
GarethBarry

please hold my hand updating ancient firmware (orginal x9D))

Post by GarethBarry »

Hello
After a long absence form the rc hobby, I am making a go of it again with my kids. back in I think 2015 I bought the original version of the Taranis X9D when it was available running I think opentx version 1.02. I would like to flash this to a more current version as I would like to use the Taranis as a joystick for training purposes with my kids (my understanding is that the new software makes this easy to do). However, I am TERRIFIED of bricking this thing!, so
-which version of opentx will my taranis run, and what do I need to do to get it running? I have seen videos and posts in forums of people with the same issue who have almost bricked their taranis with trying to update it.
-Do I need to download anything to the 'sd card'? - I didn't think my taranis had one- unless there is an internal one which I have never seen nor used?
I know these are probably incredibly retarded questions but any help would be HUGELY appreciated!
Regards
Gareth barry

tonnie78

Re: please hold my hand updating ancient firmware (orginal x9D))

Post by tonnie78 »

The sd card slot on the X9D is located in rhe battery compartment.

You can update to latest version of OpenTx without issues.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

If you have model setups you want to keep then you will have to be a bit more careful than that, but if you want to start fresh then just flash the latest version and load the matching files on the SD.
GarethBarry

Post by GarethBarry »

"The sd card slot on the X9D is located in rhe battery compartment.

You can update to latest version of OpenTx without issues."
I know this, and I know I can access it this way, that is not my issue. My issue is that he folder "FIRMWARE" is not on the SD card

"If you have model setups you want to keep then you will have to be a bit more careful than that, but if you want to start fresh then just flash the latest version and load the matching files on the SD."
I learnt this the hard way!! I lost my spitfire model that was quite complicated set up! Oh well!
GarethBarry

Post by GarethBarry »

Well more strangeness, I don't know if this is relevant. With the taranis switch OFF and then plugged in, I CAN see the 'FIRMWARE' folder on the SD card- wierd.

I pasted the receiver firmware into this folder; however, when I switched the taranis on and went to the 'SD card' page, the 'FIRMWARE' folder was absent again- just like it was when I tried to access it through the PC....

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”