PROBLEM: ER9X Settings - HELP!!!

Jeffcee52

PROBLEM: ER9X Settings - HELP!!!

Post by Jeffcee52 »

I hope that someone can give me some guidance. I am having a problem with the ER9X software. I am a newbie at using this software, so please bear with me. When trying to setup my mixers (e.g. Throttle Hold), my software does not show a MAX setting. I can only see FULL or HALF option. It doesn’t matter whether I am looking in my Radio (FS-TH9X) or eePe. There is no MAX setting in the options to set. I originally loaded v760, and just upgraded to v767. Neither one has a MAX setting option. Am I doing something wrong? How do I get the MAX option to appear in the settings? Here are my settings:

Mixers

CH01 +100%CYC1
CH02 +100%CYC2
CH03 +100%CYC3
R -100%HALF Switch(SWC)
CH04 +100%RUD
CH05 +100%THR Switch(ID0) noTrim Curve(c1)
+100%THR Switch(ID1) noTrim Curve(c2)
+100%THR Switch(ID2) noTrim Curve(c3)
R -100%HALF Switch(THR)
CH06 +30%FULL Switch(!GEA)
CH07
CH08
CH09
CH10
CH11 +70%THR Switch(ID0) noTrim Curve(c4)
+70%THR Switch(ID1) noTrim Curve(c5)
+70%THR Switch(ID2) noTrim Curve(c6)
CH12
CH13
CH14 +100%CH14
R -100%HALF Switch(SWA)
R +100%HALF Switch(THR)
CH15
CH16

Curves

Curve 1 -100 -20 30 70 90
Curve 2 80 70 60 70 100
Curve 3 100 90 80 90 100
Curve 4 -30 -15 0 50 100
Curve 5 -100 -50 0 50 100
Curve 6 -100 -50 0 50 100
Curve 7 0 0 0 0 0
Curve 8 0 0 0 0 0

Custom Switches

SW10 SWB AND ID0
SW11 THR < -99
SW12 CH14 > 0

Safety Switches

Switch Value
CH1 --- 0
CH2 --- 0
CH3 --- 0
CH4 --- 0
CH5 --- 0
CH6 --- 0
CH7 --- 0
CH8 --- 0
CH9 --- 0
CH10 --- 0
CH11 --- 0
CH12 --- 0
CH13 --- 0
CH14 --- 0
CH15 --- 0
CH16 --- 0

The other problem I have is getting the Throttle Hold to work correctly. From the settings that I have above , is this setup correctly? When I turn on my TX, I get an Alarm (THR). My THR CUT Sw. is not Forward, but it says to reset it. PLEASE HELP!!! I really need to get this worked out.
Thanks for any input that you can give me!!

Kilrah

Re: PROBLEM: ER9X Settings - HELP!!!

Post by Kilrah »

MAX was renamed to FULL a couple of months ago.

For your THR switch, does it work at all, or do you have the warning in both positions?
If it doesn't work, then it's likely because you loaded the frsky version of er9x without doing the hardware telemetry mods in the radio. Use the normal (non-frsky) version.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

NO, MAX was renamed to HALF.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Oops, yep, sorry, got them mixed again :D
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

It looks like you have applied the heli template and the sticky throttle cut. I see your throttle is on channel 5. Remove the line under CH3 where it is -100% HALF Switch(SWC). Then change the switch for the last line of CH5 to be SWC. It should work after that.
Switch warnings are in the general settings page, just above where you select your channel order. You can disable them if you like or change them to suit your needs.
-Gohst

Jeffcee52

Post by Jeffcee52 »

Dear Gohst,
Somehow my Throttle got changed to Channel 5. My error!!! I have changed the Throttle to Channel 3 and moved the Pitch (CYC3) to Channel 6. Now my Gyro can occupy Channel 5. I also changed Custom SWB to -95 value (Somewhere I read this ensures the Throttle will not kick in accidentally).
Here are the updated changes you specified:

Mixers

CH01 +100%CYC1
CH02 +100%CYC2
CH03 +100%THR Switch(ID0) noTrim Curve(c1)
+100%THR Switch(ID1) noTrim Curve(c2)
+100%THR Switch(ID2) noTrim Curve(c3)
R -100%HALF Switch(SWC)
CH04 +100%RUD
CH05
CH06 +100%CYC3
CH07 +30%FULL Switch(!GEA)
CH08
CH09
CH10
CH11 +70%THR Switch(ID0) noTrim Curve(c4)
+70%THR Switch(ID1) noTrim Curve(c5)
+70%THR Switch(ID2) noTrim Curve(c6)
CH12
CH13
CH14 +100%CH14
R -100%HALF Switch(SWA)
R +100%HALF Switch(THR)
CH15
CH16

Custom Switches
SW1
SW2
SW3
SW4
SW5
SW6
SW7
SW8
SW9
SW10 SWB AND ID0
SW11 THR < -95
SW12 CH14 > 0

Now when I turn on the Radio with the Throttle switch set BACK, I get the Warning to Reset Switch. If I turn on the TX with the Throttle switch FORWARD, I don’t get the Warning. Is this how it is supposed to work? If it is, have I only programmed Sticky T-Cut or is my Throttle Hold also setup? The Throttle Hold Template is confusing me as the settings look nothing like mine.
When I programmed the TX, I was doing it according to something I found on the Internet. Could you please explain to me what Channels 7, 11, and 14 are programmed to do? Do I need to make changes to them also? I don’t have an updated manual for version 767, so I don’t know what MANY of the settings mean. Can you send me a LINK to the latest Manual which describes ALL the settings?
I really appreciate the time you have taken to get me straightened out with this. Sorry for so many questions, I know you have other things to do!!
Jeffcee52
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

The latest manual can always be found on the wiki, of course that means someone has to be updating it. Which can take a little while sometimes.
Now on to your setup. The switch warning you are getting comes from the switch warning settings on the general setting page in your radio. http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... adio_Setup In there you can set whether you want a warning if the switches are not all in predefined positions, and what positions they must be in. So in your case it has been setup to want the throttle hold switch on before the radio will go on doing anything else. I think this is a default setting and has nothing to do with the setup of your model.
Originally you had both the regular and sticky throttle cuts set up. You removed the regular one in favor of the sticky version. I also see that you have it setup where you need the heli to be in normal mode before the hold will be released. This is a good safety feature as it keeps you from enabling the throttle while it is close to full. i.e. stunt mode where full down is requesting full power.
Channel 7:
that mix should be on channel 5. This is your gyro gain mix. I would suggest you change that mix to 100% when you move it. Then to adjust the gain signal sent to your gyro, use the limits menu. By using the limits menu you can set a different gain for heading hold(HH) and rate mode. Your gyro gain setting will of course depend on what gyro you are using and you specific setup. I only use HH mode on my helis. One has a GA250, the gain for that one is set at 67. Another has a Spartan Quark, that gain only needs to be 23.
Channel 11:
This is your pitch channel. You will find on the heli setup page a setting for collective. This will be set to CH11. As you know the 3 swash servos (CYC1,2,3) move up and down with pitch input. This is the channel where they get that input from. You use the percentages on this channel to adjust your maximum pitch. A lower setting will give you less degrees of pitch.
Channel 14:
is magic so leave it alone, ha ha just kidding. This is the special setup required by the sticky throttle cut to make that work. The first line just keeps the channel wherever it was if the other 2 mixes are not active. The mix gets enabled by the THR switch. The other one gets enabled by the combination of being in normal mode(ID0) and with the throttle stick all the way down. It knows this through the custom switches. You notice the last line for your throttle channel uses SWC as the enabling switch. That is active when CH14 is above 0. When you activate the throttle hold switch it sends CH14 to 100%, well above 0. This then activates the throttle hold. The only way to make channel 14 go back below 0 is to have your heli in normal mode(ID0) and move the throttle stick all the way down. The reason you change SWB to -95 was to make it a bit easier to disable the throttle hold. It is hard to get the stick input all the way down to -100, it is a little easier to get it below -95. I had noticed on mine that I had to press the throttle stick down at times to release the throttle hold.

You could post your eeprom file to the forum instead of copying all of the mixes. Under the full editor window you will find a tab for 'upload attachment'. Just select your .eepe or .eepm file there and click add.
-Gohst
Jeffcee52

Post by Jeffcee52 »

Dear Gohst,
Don't want to sound Computer Illiterate, but How do you access WIKI to get the manual? I've never used it! With regards to the setup:

I have attached the updated eeprom file.

First; Do I need to replace the Regular Throttle Cut & how should it be setup if I do? Not sure of the difference between the two features.

Second (Channel 5); I am using a GY48V Gyro on an EXI 450. Scorpion HK-2221-8 V2 Brushless Motor & Platinum-40A-PRO ESC. How do I setup the Gyro & How do I set it up to be able to change from HH & Rate mode?

Third (Channel 11); Haven't setup my pitch on the Heli yet, but I'm sure I won't have a problem with that!!!

Fourth (Channel 14); What eePe curves should I setup for ID 0,1 & 2 to start out with? I know ID2 should be the same as ID1 since I won't be doing 3D for awhile. Should I remove that "No Trim" setting from all of them? I'm assuming that Curve 1,2, & 3 are for Throttle & Curve 4,5 & 6 are for Pitch.

Is there anything else that I need to change before applying power to the bird once I complete these changes?
Attachments
General Settings.eepe
I hope this is the Correct file!!!
(4.34 KiB) Downloaded 549 times
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

One thing you could do before applying power to the bird for the first time, is remove the blades.. you don't want an heli going crazy with the blades on.. If you already did take them off I do apologise, But if You would injure yourself, I would kick myself for not saying something.. ;) :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Jeffcee52 wrote:Dear Gohst,
Don't want to sound Computer Illiterate, but How do you access WIKI to get the manual? I've never used it! With regards to the setup:
Top right of the web page you are reading right now. Little picture of a 9x radio, with 'visit wiki' written under it :mrgreen:
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Jeffcee52

Post by Jeffcee52 »

Thanks Rob,
But is there any location for a manual that gives ALL the latest setting updates? Gohst stated that the MAX setting was changed to HALF a few month's ago. For newbies downloading ER9X, they become VERY confused when they cannot find the settings that are in the download but NOT in the manual. Thanks for your response!!!

Jeffcee52
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Jeffcee52 wrote: First; Do I need to replace the Regular Throttle Cut & how should it be setup if I do? Not sure of the difference between the two features.
You have already replaced the normal throttle cut with the sticky helicopter version.
Second (Channel 5); I am using a GY48V Gyro on an EXI 450. Scorpion HK-2221-8 V2 Brushless Motor & Platinum-40A-PRO ESC. How do I setup the Gyro & How do I set it up to be able to change from HH & Rate mode?
most gyros work where >0 is one mode and <0 is the other. Set your limits for channel 5 to +/-50 and check the manual for your gyro to tell what mode it is going in to. Then you simply need to reverse the channel if the switch operation seems backwards to you.
Fourth (Channel 14); What eePe curves should I setup for ID 0,1 & 2 to start out with? I know ID2 should be the same as ID1 since I won't be doing 3D for awhile. Should I remove that "No Trim" setting from all of them? I'm assuming that Curve 1,2, & 3 are for Throttle & Curve 4,5 & 6 are for Pitch.
ID0 is your normal mode curve. This is the one you would use to spool up the heli, also this mode will not have alot of negative pitch so no inverted flight in this mode. If you want just set up curves 1 and 2 for the throttle. Then the mixes for ID1 and ID2 can just be assigned to the same curve(C2). As far as pitch curves go, set C5 to be a straight line from -100 to 100. Assign that to both ID1 and ID2 mixes on CH11. Curve 4 should be set as -30 -15 0 50 100. This will give a couple of degrees negative in case you need to land in a wind.
Is there anything else that I need to change before applying power to the bird once I complete these changes?
First like Joao said take all of the blades off of the heli! You don't want to learn the maximum piro rate of the heli while it is on your workbench.

Also I don't know if you have read the guide I wrote. You can find it here: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=620

-Gohst
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Jeffcee52 wrote:Thanks Rob,
But is there any location for a manual that gives ALL the latest setting updates? Gohst stated that the MAX setting was changed to HALF a few month's ago. For newbies downloading ER9X, they become VERY confused when they cannot find the settings that are in the download but NOT in the manual. Thanks for your response!!!

Jeffcee52
The wiki manual is the latest.

We desperately need more people to keep the wiki and manual up to date. You fancy helping?

Rob

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
kaos

Post by kaos »

During a heli setup, I 'ALWAYS' disconnect the motor wire to ESC (or at least 2 of them), this way there is no chance for motor to be turned on regardless of an accidental erroneous throttle setting/cut. (especially you are using a new program) For a 450, even the tail rotor can cause tremendous damage. Be careful.
For a heli set up, without the motor connected you can have the blades on there and do all the set up you need, except the tail set up which requires actual test fly.
then you test your throttle cut setting with blades off to make sure the TC is working properly. That is one setting you don't want it to be wrong. ;)
you can have the swash, collective pitch, cyclic pitch, initial gyro setting exactly the way you want before your 1st spin up and set up your tail.
Jeffcee52

Post by Jeffcee52 »

Dear Gohst,

1) What I really meant was "Do I need Both the Normal Throttle Hold & the Sticky T-Cut in my TX?" If I do, how do I setup the Normal Throttle Hold?

2) I made the changes to the Gyro Limits. How do I setup the Switches to allow me to change between HH & Rate mode?

3) I assigned the Curves to Throttle & Pitch. Should Curve 1's (THR) last point be 100%

4) Is the Curve 2 (THR) OK as is?

5) Should I remove the "No Trim" setting from All the Mixes?

Note: I'd like to Thank everyone who had input to this (Kilrah, Mikeb, jhsa, Rob, kaos), and especially you Gohst!!! LET ME BE PERFECTLY CLEAR_ I have NO intentions of spinning up with the BLADES on! At least not on the bench. :lol:

Jeffcee52
Attachments
General Settings.eepe
(4.34 KiB) Downloaded 519 times
kaos

Post by kaos »

I only use normal throttle cut. I like it simple. I want to cut the throttle I cut it. ;)
as of now your setup (I assume it is the heli 450 model), you don't have ID2 throttle curve (so is pitch curve, you want to duplicate your c5 to c6), it is 0 which is flat 50% throttle.
one is confusing for me in the beginning in er9x with throttle curve is the %. in stock or most Tx the throttle curve is 0-100 from 0% to 100% , but in er9x it is from -100 to +100. so 0 in erix is actually 50% throttle . not zero throttle. your number at mid stick for 60 is actually 80% throttle.

you may want to set those throttle curve for all 3 ID switch position based on your need.
to have both RM and HH mode programmed you need to add in ch5:
ch5 -80 FULL switch GEA
+75 Full switch !GEA
this way when GEA is up (off) you are in HH at 75% gain, when GEA is down(on) you are in RM at 75% gain. you can adjust those number while setting up your tail based on your gyro. I don't use limit to change the gyro gain. (remember er9x is so flexible, you will come across a hundred different ways of achieving the same thing. ;) )
It is more clear/simple for me to change the gain setting in the mixes.
I am assuming your gyro use + number for HH and - nunbers for RM, double check your gyro manual.

I also add a 3rd line in ch5, so I can use P3 to adjust whatever gain setting for gyro during fly if there is a need

the 3rd line I add is : +30% P3 notrim

this way I have a starting point of the gain and use P3 to do adjustment, that 30% just increase the sensitive of the knob more precisely (a full turn from the center is not 100, instead only 30% gain change)

Last time I checked the timer switch in er9x (r642) is not working proper for heli. I don't know whether it has been changed or not.
The timer switch is, or was, based on throttle sitck position- from bottom to top. but for heli with inverted fly and throttle curve like a V, the TH% does not work well at all. And, if the TC is switched on, while stick position is not at the bottom, the timer won't stop.
I add a switch so the timer is triggered by ch3 output,
SW1 V>ofs ch3 -100
this way, when the timer is triggered when there is throttle out put like a THs, and when TC is turned on the timer will stop. TH% still did not work for r642.
and in set up the timer trigger is SW1

attached is my eepe on an erazor with a gy401 gyro for you to look at.
the throttle curve appears way out of wack, because I have a 3550 kv motor on the erazor, but erazor 's main gear is only 105 T , not like align 450 with 150T, so I have to use a much lower throttle curve to limit the head spd < 3K.

for a normal align 450 my throttle curve for ID1 would be -100% 70% +100%, in the throttle curve for er9x would be -100 -30 40 70 100
I think the throttle curve numbers may be the most confusing thing to me when I started using er9x.

Hope this will help you to get into er9x easier. or like me got my brain all noodled up in the beginning. ;)

Edit: sorry that is my ID0 throttle curve for an align 450, not ID1
my align 450 ID1: 100 80 60 80 100 (that 60 is actually 80% throttle) ID2: 100 90 80 90 100 (the 80 is actually 90% throttle)
Attachments
erazor.eepe
(1.29 KiB) Downloaded 566 times
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Jeffcee52 wrote:Dear Gohst,

1) What I really meant was "Do I need Both the Normal Throttle Hold & the Sticky T-Cut in my TX?" If I do, how do I setup the Normal Throttle Hold?
Just one throttle cut will be fine. Use the sticky version, it makes sure you cannot enable the throttle while it is high. For instance if you get all ready to fly and forget to check your flight mode. Should it be in ID1, then with the throttle stick all the way down it should be asking for maximum power. This will surely strip gears or worse cause you to panic and wreck the heli.
2) I made the changes to the Gyro Limits. How do I setup the Switches to allow me to change between HH & Rate mode?
Watch what ch5 does in the simulator. flipping the GEA switch you will see it switch from one side to the other. Like I said earlier, >0 will be one mode, <0 will be the other mode.
3) I assigned the Curves to Throttle & Pitch. Should Curve 1's (THR) last point be 100%
The throttle curves will depend on your setup and desired head speed. There is no way I can tell you what your curves will end up being. About all I can tell you is that the general shape is ok. What you want to shoot for is to keep the head speed constant even though you have changed the pitch. If the head speed stays constant the control response will be the same. For a beginner I would suggest 2300rpm for the head speed. As you get better then increase the speed to 2500 and 27 or 2800 when you really want it to start moving around. A lower head speed will allow the helicopter to fly gentler, and will help reduce crash damage (less energy in the head at lower speeds)
4) Is the Curve 2 (THR) OK as is?
You should have the same amount of maximum pitch up as you do down, with zero pitch centered in the middle. Following the above advice the curve should be symmetrical. So whatever it is above 0 it should be mirrored below zero.
5) Should I remove the "No Trim" setting from All the Mixes?
Shouldn't matter. You won't be changing the trim anyway.
Note: I'd like to Thank everyone who had input to this (Kilrah, Mikeb, jhsa, Rob, kaos), and especially you Gohst!!! LET ME BE PERFECTLY CLEAR_ I have NO intentions of spinning up with the BLADES on! At least not on the bench. :lol:

Jeffcee52
Here is how I set up a timer:
Make a custom switch that is triggered by the output throttle channel. In your case CH3.
SW1 v>ofs CH3 -80
SW1 will turn on whenever the output channel 3 is above -80. If your throttle hold is enabled the output on channel 3 will be -100 and so the switch will be off. Then on the setup tab select SW1 as the timer mode. And set the timer to 6:00, and direction to count down. (depending on your batteries you make the timer longer or shorter, mine is about right at 6:00)

-Gohst
Jeffcee52

Post by Jeffcee52 »

Dear Gohst,
Now you've really confused me!!

1) I've attached the eePe Sim Settings, I am able to click the Gear Sw. on/off O.K & see the settings. But when I move the Throttle, nothing happens. Does this have anything to do with the "Hold Y" that is GREEN?

Are there any instructions for using the Simulator besides Drag & Click? What do "Hold X/Y" & "Fix X/Y" mean?

2) When I asked about Curve 2 (THROTTLE), you answered:

"You should have the same amount of maximum pitch up as you do down, with
zero pitch centered in the middle. Following the above advice the curve
should be symmetrical. So whatever it is above 0 it should be mirrored
below zero"

I'm confused, I thought this was a Throttle Curve? Am I missing something?

My Midpoint of Curve 2 (THROTTLE) is set at 60 (Approx. 80%), Should this be closer to 50% or lower?

3) In kaos response, he stated:

"to have both RM and HH mode programmed you need to add in ch5:
ch5 -80 FULL switch GEA
+75 Full switch !GEA"
and
"I also add a 3rd line in ch5, so I can use P3 to adjust whatever gain
setting for gyro during fly in there is a need"

"the 3rd line I add is : +30% P3 notrim"

Should I add these settings ONLY if I am not using LIMITS to contol the GYRO or Should I add them irregardless of the settings I already have?

4) How do I use the "Thanks Feature" of this site?

Jeffcee52
Attachments
eePe Simulator Settings.eepg
(307 Bytes) Downloaded 526 times
450 HELI.eepe
(4.34 KiB) Downloaded 532 times
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

You should go read the guide I linked to a few posts up. Also go register at helifreak.com and look for finless Bob's setup videos. He really does a great job of explaining basic heli setup. A better job than I think I can anyway.
-Gohst

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
Jeffcee52

Post by Jeffcee52 »

Gohst,
The link was to a Template. I have read the guide though, and that is why I have the questions. I am registered at Helifreak and I have used Finless Bob's setups to get to this point. I am just trying understand how to get my HELI setup conformed to the software I am using, which is ER9x & eePe. Basic HELI setup is not what I need!!!
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Jeffcee52 wrote: 1) I've attached the eePe Sim Settings, I am able to click the Gear Sw. on/off O.K & see the settings. But when I move the Throttle, nothing happens. Does this have anything to do with the "Hold Y" that is GREEN?
This is probably due to the sticky throttle hold. Make sure ID0 is on, THR is off, and then move the throttle all the way down. After that the throttle should pick up and move.
Are there any instructions for using the Simulator besides Drag & Click? What do "Hold X/Y" & "Fix X/Y" mean?
No the simulator is just that simple. Click and drag for the sticks, click to make the buttons work. Have you tried clicking the hold and fix buttons to see what they do? Notice that one hold button is clicked, and it happens to be the throttle stick. That means the stick doesn't return to center like it was on springs. Fix just makes sure you can't change the value.
2) When I asked about Curve 2 (THROTTLE), I'm confused, I thought this was a Throttle Curve? Am I missing something?
My Midpoint of Curve 2 (THROTTLE) is set at 60 (Approx. 80%), Should this be closer to 50% or lower?
Think about this one. Your degrees of pitch should be the same up and down right? So the load on the motor will be the same at full + pitch as it is at full - pitch. So the motor output should have to be the same. Yours was lower on - pitch. This is a stunt mode curve so the heli will fly inverted with it also.
3) In kaos response, he stated:
"to have both RM and HH mode programmed you need to add in ch5:
ch5 -80 FULL switch GEA
+75 Full switch !GEA"
and
"I also add a 3rd line in ch5, so I can use P3 to adjust whatever gain
setting for gyro during fly in there is a need"
"the 3rd line I add is : +30% P3 notrim"
Should I add these settings ONLY if I am not using LIMITS to contol the GYRO or Should I add them irregardless of the settings I already have?
Right, Kaos set his up different than I would. To use his method you set the limits to +/- 100.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Jeffcee: welcome to the ER9X, powerful and hence flexible, many different ways of doing the same thing. once you are used to it. It becomes very simple and powerful.

In a heli set up, especially the 1st time, very often the pitch up and down is different. Ideally, you want to adjust the cyclic linkage rod so you have same max pitch angle both way. but I am lazy. ;) if I can get the max pitch angle both way, I use the pitch curve to limit the max pitch either way. like on my erazor, with that limit, i have +12 and -16 degree (beyond my pitch gauge can read) , so i use pitch curve to limit to negative pitch to -12. I still get +- 12 degree.
I set up all my 450s with collective +-12 degree and cyclic 8-9 degree. when I need less max pitch angle I just use the DR to limit it. so I don't need to touch those 'limit' again. but that limit is the max without any binding (could be 14, 13....)
What I do in set up,
at ID1:
set all the limis at 100 to start.
at mid stick use subtrim to level the swash, then go top stick and bottom stick to level the swash with limit. those limits I never touch them again. that is the utly max leveled swash travel. (this is without the head put on)
then I put the head on and I use those 3 number in ch11 to retrict the swash travel so at bottom or top stick there is no binding of the servo / physically. the angle I get is the max collective pitch without binding. (as long as both way has > = 12 degree, I will leave it along) and these 3 numbers in ch11, I don't touch them again either. The way Ghosthb does is adjust the limit to no binding and to the pitch you want. but doing that, I think in theory, it may limit my cyclic pitch as well.
now I use the 'swash ring' to check if there is any binding with the right stick, lower it until there is none, and further lower it until it is about 8-9 degree for cyclic pitch. You can't change cyclic pitch with pitch curve or DR (these are just for collective pitch), you have to do it with swash ring. you know the sum of collective + cyclic should be <=20-21 degree to avoid engine bog down.

now if I have more than +-12 degree collective, I use pitch curve to get +-12 degree (that is why I may not have equal numbers for pitch curve at bot ends, but the pitch is equal). This will give equal travel both ways. During fly if I want less than 12 degree, I just add a DR to further reduce it. (but I never do, always fly with +-12 degree ;) ) or EXPO to reduce sensitivity around center stick.

When I set it up this way, the only number I need to change after set up(like on fiild when flying) is DR/EXPO to change the collective pitch and I always have equal travel in ID1,2.

Ghosthb is correct, to do adjustable gain (P3 I put in), You need to set limit at 100. the numbers in ch5 at GEA or !GEA is my initial setting where the tail holds well.
that p3 will give me either increase or degrease in gain if I need it during fly. If you set limit as Ghosthb does, then the p3 can only give you decrease in gain not increase (because now the top end is limited by the limit you put in there. One wonderful thing er9x provides compared to stock FW is you can check the center at set up menu, that will give you the exact center of those knobs/sticks. so it is really easy to center the knobs when you start flying (it will beep when knob is turned to center). The stock FW, you have to 'guess' where the center is, which usually is off center on these knobs.

I also use pitch curve to set my ID0 pitch curve, I always set it to -1 +1 +12 (that is just me), ID1,2 midstick is always 0 pitch. and set the throttle curve with 10% difference at mid stick. with that pitch angle and throttle curve at mid stick, when I switch from ID0 to ID1 the heli will stay put without jumping up or down. The only thing you can tell it is switched is the sound of the heli going into higher rpm. ;)

I hope this will clarify for you instead of make it more confusing. Which can happen in ER9X - flexibility. ;)
Jeffcee52

Post by Jeffcee52 »

Dear kaos,
Thank you SOOOO much for that excellent explanation. It definitely has made it much clearer for me!!! I will make the adjustments and setup my Pitch & Gains. Without you guys I would have been out there LOST!!!!!

Gohst,
Thanks you also for the explanation of the eePe Simulator, it has brought it into perspective and has made me realize how powerful this software really is. I have been taking notes and I'm preparing some HINT sheets for any other newbies to use. When I finish my maiden flight, I'll submit them for anyone who is as confused as I was!!!

Once again, thanks for all the HELP!!! Happy & Careful Flying!!!

Jeffcee52
kaos

Post by kaos »

Glad to know it helped. Believe me, when I started using er9x, My brain was all noodled up like I don't even know anything about heli set up any more. ;) But once a few simple thing got cleared up by the helping nerds around here ;), everything becomes much easier.
Ghosthb's PDF was the 1st complete instruction (may be the only one) I found at RCgroup (I did not know who was Ghosthb at the time ;) )

look this thread, that is how I learned er9x in heli set up by the helping nerds here: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=510
that dedicated 'heli programming' has a lot other things to read about setting up heli with er9x.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

The first version of Er9x that I loaded was r38. I figured out how to setup a heli by watching Finless Bob's videos, and the manual for Thus's version of the firmware. And that was well before the CYCx mixer inputs were implemented!
-Gohst
JohnnyBGood

Post by JohnnyBGood »

I just wanna thank you Guys! I think I had jumped into something over my head.And trying to find answers sometimes was sensory overload!
Just a beginner, and to digest everything and everyone's different ways of doing the same thing got me turned around a time or two.
I sat down the controller for 3 months cause I wasn't able to come up with a complete explanation of what each setting did and why, and how to change it.
But this here really helped with explaining the what and why.

What had me for awhile was the pitch and throttle curves.
This explains much of that.
And the manual you all put together is much appreciated.

Going to test the new settings.
ER9X on Flysky TX Backlight Smartieparts usb
450 trex clone
450 Blade 3d
300X Bade
V922
v911
And something from radio shack! ;)
kaos

Post by kaos »

V922 you need a HT8 tx module to use er9x. stock module won't bind with v922. you may get it at Banggood for 20.00 if you don't have it already.
this little bugger is sensitive, I never used so much expo as I have on this one. ;)
bobarry

er9x mode settings question

Post by bobarry »

I did the recommended 6 flight mode setup for my quad for CH 5. The info had the CH6 line blank, & CH 7 set to TRN.
No changes on CH 5 were noted but moving P1 adjusted the modes a bit.

So I set CH 6 to 100% CH 5, with no switch. It works now but I wonder why I had to do it that way.

Oh, the MIXING fun, I'm a total beginner and stay busy Googling. I may figure it out eventually - it seems so easy for some. :) Bo

Return to “er9x model setup”