HELP, Adding 3pos switches to 9XR PRO

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
mclags

HELP, Adding 3pos switches to 9XR PRO

Post by mclags »

Hey all, looking for someone with a little patience that can walk me through this.

I am wanting to replace my never used pots for 3 pos switches on my 9XR Pro.
Mainly the PIT.TRIM/AUX.2 pot but all 3 would be great.

I can solder but knowing what needs to be done physically and in the programming is over my head.

And before anyone says "just buy a Taranis", I made the mistake of not doing more homework before buying
so now I am kinda stuck with it.

Thanks in advance

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: HELP, Adding 3pos switches to 9XR PRO

Post by MikeB »

Is your requirement to have more switches, or more to have more 3-position switches?
I don't, currently, directly support changing a pot to a 3-pos switch. It may be done by replacing the pot with a switch and a couple of resistors so it looks like a pot, with just 3 positions, to the firmware, then you would use some logical switches to decode the "pot" position.

You could change a pot to a 3-position switch, and wire the switch to the "spare" analog input. This could then be configured to be the ELE switch (set ELE to ANA in the hardware menu), then set PB1 to use ELE as the source.
Toggling the existing ELE switch would then change PB1 switch, and the new switch will appear as the ELE switch with 3 positions.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
mclags

Post by mclags »

Hey Mike, after more 3pos switches.
Figured I would use the pots as I never use them for anything.

As for the rest of your reply........little over my head lol
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, the first port of call is here: https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopi ... 122&t=5659.

The hardware and firmware supports changing up to 3 of the 2-pos switches to 3-pos switches.

On one of the connectors there is a spare analog input that is already wired to allow the ELE switch to be changed to a 3-pos switch. A new 3-pos switch is wired to this input. This frees the original ELE signal that may then be used to convert another 2-pos switch to a 3-pos switch.
Another connector has a spare digital input (called DAC1 in the firmware) that may be used to convert a third 2-pos switch.

Perhaps decide what you want, then we may take you through the wiring, one switch at a time.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mclags

Post by mclags »

Thanks Mike, I just watched a similar vid to this.
I'm guessing it's a bit more of a nightmare changing the pots over then?
My concern is that changing those switches to 3pos will mess up mixing etc I already have on other models?
Or would they be OK as they are set to +100 & -100?

mclags

Post by mclags »

Ok, so where exactly does this 6pos switch/knob go physically?
That sounds like it could be a winner.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Typically it does replace a pot, otherwise you will need to make a hole in the case to mount it!

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mclags

Post by mclags »

That might be an easier option then.
I couldn't see a link to a dial that'll fit.
Is there a recommended one?
Looking at the diagram it looks like it's an either/or situation. Either a 6pos pot or 3x 3pos switches.
If I did the 6pos pot mod is there any way to add 3pos switches later?

Thanks for your patience. I know the basics which usually is just enough to get me into trouble hahaha
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

FrSky include a 6-pos switch on the X12S (Horus) and it is available as a spare part. It is also available as a spare/upgrade part for the Taranis (complete with control knob). I see them on T9hobbysport in the UK, and I would expect Aloft to have them in the US.
These come complete with resistors mounted so they look like a pot and just connect using the 3 wires that go to a pot.
ersky9x supports such a switch, you just define which pot is now a 6-pos switch, and run the calibration for it, then it appears as another switch.
Doing such a mod is completely separate from changing existing switches to 3-pos switches.
Look for "Taranis X9D Plus - 6 Position Switch and Knob" here: https://www.t9hobbysport.com/taranis-tx ... ment-parts.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
stotty1111

Post by stotty1111 »

Ok thinking about replacing a pot, single rhs of 9xr pro for a 6 position switch. Would this then be calibrated in the calibration area, I am contemplating this replacement to give 6 fixed positions on a servo - would it fit my requirement(looking at switching on lights , radar etc on a model boat) Or any other suggestions?
stotty1111

Post by stotty1111 »

maybe my questions are a little woolly, I am looking to switch lights etc on and off by r/c , the 6 position switch is it/can it be proportional to move a servo with a disc equipped with a half circular track and wipers at the relevant 6 positions so that the effect would be progressive - if it is a possibility would the switch setting up be achieved in the calibration area. if it is covered in the manuals can anyone point me at the relevant section, I've tried with no luck.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes you may replace a pot with a 6-position switch. The setting to enable the switch, and the calibration is in the hardware menu. For safety, the hardware menu is protected, enable it by holding the left horizontal trim to the left at power on.

If you set the switch as a mix source, then you get 6, equally spaced output positions as you move the switch.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
stotty1111

Post by stotty1111 »

Ok, thanks for that Mike, in fact a bit of trawling you tube confirmed the situation(couldn't sleep had a play!)
So, expanding your advice,(If you set the switch as a mix source) how do I do that? having looked at the hardware section, found the 6 posn switch etc cannot find mixes etc, do I use templates etc? Sorry for being a bit 'thick' but this is all new to me!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

After you installed and configured / calibrated the switch in the hardware menu, 6 new switches will be available as sources, I never installed 6 position but I think they are "6P0 to 6P5". Each correspond to one of the switch positions.

Also, instead of a servo with mechanical contacts, you can buy electronic RC switches.

If the reason for using a servo is that you use only one channel, and if you can solder, using an arduino board it is possible to control about 5 outputs with a single channel. I can post the link to the project page, but you will have to wait a couple hours until I can get to my PC :) ;)
Uploading code to an arduino board is dead easy :) and by soldering a couple Mosfet transistors to it, you can control some lights. :) The best thing is that uses one channel from the receiver only. :)

João

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
mclags

Post by mclags »

6pos switch is ordered, I'll post up here once it arrives as I know I'll need a lot of help (nearly step by step) to get the job done.
Being down here in New Zealand it'll likely take 2-3 weeks to get here.
Cheers guys
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Tou might want to watch this video while you wait

https://youtu.be/981zcTdqoNU

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
stotty1111

Post by stotty1111 »

mclags - which switch did you order?
mclags

Post by mclags »

stotty1111 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:24 am mclags - which switch did you order?
The 6pos in the link Mike gave
https://www.t9hobbysport.com/taranis-tx ... ment-parts
mclags

Post by mclags »

MikeB wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:08 am FrSky include a 6-pos switch on the X12S (Horus) and it is available as a spare part. It is also available as a spare/upgrade part for the Taranis (complete with control knob). I see them on T9hobbysport in the UK, and I would expect Aloft to have them in the US.
These come complete with resistors mounted so they look like a pot and just connect using the 3 wires that go to a pot.
ersky9x supports such a switch, you just define which pot is now a 6-pos switch, and run the calibration for it, then it appears as another switch.
Doing such a mod is completely separate from changing existing switches to 3-pos switches.
Look for "Taranis X9D Plus - 6 Position Switch and Knob" here: https://www.t9hobbysport.com/taranis-tx ... ment-parts.

Mike
6 pos switch just arrived.
Ready for a bit of a step by step to get this installed and working.
Cheers
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The switch should have 3 solder pads labelled VCC,Flap an GND. Mechanically, just remove a pot and fit the switch in its place. Electrically, you have 3 wires going to the pot. Connect the the one in the centre to the Flap connection and the outside two to the VCC and GND connections. The calibration will take care of which goes to which, although if you can work out which of these two is connected to ground, connect that one to the GND connection.

With that done, the switch should operate like a pot with 6, fixed positions. We will handle the calibration then.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mclags

Post by mclags »

Righto, that's all done.
Stick calibration done also.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Just need to set the calibration for the 6-pos switch then.
You need the hardware menu for this, power on the radio holding the left horizontal trim to the left, this enables the hardware menu.
Go to the RADIO SETUP|Hardware menu and move down to the 3rd "page". You should have one line where you select the pot to which you have connected the 6-pos switch. You should then get the calibration lines showing.
Turn the 6-pos switch fully left, go to the 6P0 line and press menu to set the first position. Repeat moving the switch one place and stepping to 6P1, then move the switch again and go to 6P2 and so on to 6P5, pressing menu to set each position.

When complete, you should then find the 6-pos switch then appears as a switch wherever you may select a switch.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mclags

Post by mclags »

Well I'm buggered if I can find this hardware menu.
I'm running
fw: opentx-9rxpro
version: 2.2.1
Date: 2017-12-17
Time: 15:32:26
EEPR: 218
Rad

Post by Rad »

MikeB wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:10 pm OK, the first port of call is here: viewtopic.php?f=122&t=5659.

The hardware and firmware supports changing up to 3 of the 2-pos switches to 3-pos switches.

On one of the connectors there is a spare analog input that is already wired to allow the ELE switch to be changed to a 3-pos switch. A new 3-pos switch is wired to this input. This frees the original ELE signal that may then be used to convert another 2-pos switch to a 3-pos switch.
Another connector has a spare digital input (called DAC1 in the firmware) that may be used to convert a third 2-pos switch.

Perhaps decide what you want, then we may take you through the wiring, one switch at a time.

Mike
Hi Mike, I managed to replace 4, 2-pos switches with 3-pos ones. I did it years ago, following the tutorials here: http://www.rctanksaustralia.com/forum/v ... =117&t=991

I think the videos showing it are gone. But really, I have four 3 position switches + the ID switch.
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
jhsa

Re: RE: Re: HELP, Adding 3pos switches to 9XR PRO

Post by jhsa »

mclags wrote:Well I'm buggered if I can find this hardware menu.
I'm running
fw: opentx-9rxpro
version: 2.2.1
Date: 2017-12-17
Time: 15:32:26
EEPR: 218
You are in openTX? :o
I don't think it has an hardware menu like ErSky9x has. I don't even know if it supports the 6pos switch.. It might but then it has other ways of configuring it..
João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Oh, the hardware menu is in ersky9x. Looking in Companion (2.2.1, I haven't downloaded a later version yet), the option for changing a pot to a 6-pos switch isn't showing up on the 9XR-PRO, only on FrSky radios. I can only assume no one has bothered putting that code into the 9XR-PRO version of openTx.
You could raise an issue on openTx to try to get this added.
Otherwise (apart from changing to ersky9x), you will need to use some logical switches to decode the switch position.
Something like:
L1: P3 < value
L2: P3 < (larger value) AND !L1

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
mclags

Post by mclags »

OK, update. I have now ditched the 9XR and found myself a Taranis 9XD
Now I still have not got the menu needed to install the 6pos switch.
It has old V1.1.02 firmware on it.
I am guessing that I need to update that first?
I have Companion 2.2.3 but it couldn't see the tx. So I downloaded the first version of companion.
It can now see the tx but I can't do anything.
Can someone please help me step by step get my tx updated and get me to point where I can just open Opentx, plug in my tx and get to work.

Thanks
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I don't think V1.1.02 had the bootloader accessed using the trim switches.
So you plug the radio in powered OFF. This should give you a STM bootloader device.
I thought Companion may now be able to write firmware to the radio, but you may need to install some drivers for that to work.
Possibly the quickest way to get started is to install zadig and dfu-util. This gives a method to flash firmware, including the bootloader, from a command prompt. Once you have done that, you should be able to update the firmware from Companion.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
bob195558

Re: HELP, Adding 3pos switches to 9XR PRO (erSky9x on Taranis)

Post by bob195558 »

Hi mclags,
You may be better to flash erSky9x on Taranis (is what I am using on my Taranis), as you are more used to using er9x firmware. :)
Taranis 9XD "ersky9x for Taranis": (http://www.er9x.com/)
(viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9034#p116982)
(viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7715)
(viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4582&start=360#p99734).
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
mclags

Post by mclags »

ok, got latest firmware onto tx. opentx that is.
New problem
I can not seem to upload anything (all my models, images, and sounds) from the sd card to either the tx or opentx companion.

Return to “Hardware”