Turnigy 9XR General

Hardware Support for the 9XR
Kilrah

Re: Turnigy 9XR General

Post by Kilrah »

That sentence has always been on the site...

But yeah, little chance of any new firmware appearing.
Of course it was easy marketing to make sure all the work had already been done in advance, so that they could "retroactively" show that their radio is so good that several people are actually making firmwares for them!!! :roll:

Helle

Post by Helle »

Hy,

Flysky is producing the 9Xr for Hextronic alias Hobbyking, as you can see.

Helle
Attachments
image.jpg
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

I received my 9XR today and it was not as bad as expected from reading the Hateorade on RCG.
There are defects in the molding process which leave cosmetic marks that superficially appear to be cracks or stress marks. Nothing a coat of paint won't solve. :lol:
Turns out they still have the trainer switch on the right side for mode 2. STUPID needs to be changed.
The Switches seem comparable with 9x radios of the past, however they have excessive switch thread extending to the outside. It will eliminate loosing the nuts that hold the switches in place, but it's odd -- however only cosmetic.
Definitely had to mod the battery connection to use standard Futaba polarized connection. 5 minute change. Because I'll never ever charge a battery in situ I removed the balance plug altogether.
The right gimbal plugs into the PCB rather than being soldered - but moving the elevator rocks the gimbal which will undoubtedly lead to a disconnect. Generous application of hot melt glue took care of that. The glue is simple to remove (if you don't know this) by applying some alcohol to the glue.
I like the Pots better
I like the trim switches better
The gimbals are a push as they come -- but look like they will be much more difficult to modify -- as I prefer to put Futaba Heavy Duty springs in my 9x gimbals. If the gimbals are adjustable, I did not figure it out -- but I've not read the product manual :lol: either. It appears only the throttle is adjustable.
There are two threaded holes in the back. I'm probably going to build some sort of stand to protect the module from being laid upon and attach using those holes. They appear to be 3mm threads - but I've not checked yet.

With a 2500mah tx Lipo battery the balance is dead on. Nice.
Flashed Open9x with no problems.
Backlight can be used to search for victims in the event of disaster -- it's so bright - but can be turned off. The ready light can't be switched and that would be a problem for night flying -- because blue is the worst color light for night flying. Red will not dilate the pupils significantly, but blue does the most and has the longest refractory period. Cosmetic only -- easily solved permanently with application of alum tape, or temporarily with application of electricians tape.

Looks like it would be difficult to add some mods like speakers, however the battery bay is large enough to house a subwoofer.

The most fair comparison I could make with the original TG9x follows:

9XR sells for $50 radio - $30 OrangeRX module - $18 OrangeRX R710 7 ch receiver = $98

TG9x sells for $54 + $5 backlight + $5 for USBasp programmer = $64

Of course in both cases shipping and battery are additional and about the same.

So -- is the cost of the 9XR worth the additional price? Nope. Not really.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Scott Page wrote:Red will not dilate the pupils significantly, but blue does the most and has the longest refractory period. Cosmetic only -- easily solved permanently with application of alum tape, or temporarily with application of electricians tape.
Or you can just unplug it from the board ;)
Attachments
Picture uploaded by SkyNorth on RCG Forum
Picture uploaded by SkyNorth on RCG Forum
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

UPDATE:

Today I tried to flash a different version of Open9x to the 9XR and all hell seems to have broken loose. I'm using HK's USBasp -- kinda confused at this point.

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Exactly what has broken?
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Rob Thomson wrote:Exactly what has broken?
Interesting story... maybe.
A year ago I started trying to do quads using HK KK board v. 2.x and an HK USBasp programmer. First thing when I got the board was to flash the newest firmware. The next three months were the most frustrating I've had in the hobby. The programmer would act like it worked sometimes, and not other times. I started to bet superstitious about it because it was so unpredictable.

Well... Using the same programmer yesterday I had three failed attempts to flash Open9x. Then doing the same thing and expecting it worked the fourth time. WTH. Today I wanted to change the flavor of Open9x and eventually the Tx was completely bricked. I used EEPE to reset the fuses to defaults... and then I had a partial success... but the Tx would reboot every time it got started. Reset fuses again... bunch of failed attempts. Reset fuses again.. and I got a successful burn! WTH. Well.... being unable to leave well enough alone -- without touching anything I tried to burn a slightly different open9x.. FAILED. I'm not positive that my hair turned white this year due to this programmer. Something is not right with it. Eventually I did get Open9x installed...and I'm leaving it alone until I get a different programmer.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Reflash programmer with official usbasp instead of chinese autospeed closed firmware?
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Well, these buttons officially SUCK! My down arrow doesn't work at all now. Thank goodness for pot scrolling. the menu, exit, and trims have not given me issues, but the for way buttons are a royal pain in the arse!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I wonder what those guys were thinking when they built it that way.. Obviously not enough development testing was made.. :o

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

Nice tutorial on swapping 9XR gimbals to convert from mode 2 to 1 here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=3957.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Scott Page wrote:Well, these buttons officially SUCK! My down arrow doesn't work at all now. Thank goodness for pot scrolling. the menu, exit, and trims have not given me issues, but the for way buttons are a royal pain in the arse!
It's been rumored that a forum member is working on a fix.
Aside from that I think we all agree that a fix is in order. The logical fix is to add snap type switches similar to the 9x ones to this board. The challenge is doing it in such a way that it fits the board and can be activated by the button overlay there now.
So everyone, search for the lowest profile, inexpensive, push button snap switch that can be soldered across the contacts on the board that will work with the button overlays.
Who will be the first?
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

jhsa wrote:I wonder what those guys were thinking when they built it that way.. Obviously not enough development testing was made.. :o
I think the crack 9xr team if thinking actually was involved, thought cheap!
It worked for them didn't it!
SM

Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

ShowMaster wrote: It's been rumored that a forum member is working on a fix..
One fix that would be adequate -- sky9x drop in. Even without rotary encoder it's what's needed.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Or
These?
http://www.e-switch.com/ProductCatalog/ ... fault.aspx

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Agreed on the buttons.

I have grown used the the superb 'dblkeys' feature in open9x.

what this does is allow you to press say 'up' and 'down' at the same time to instantly take a positive value to a negative value.

The soft buttons on the 9xr are impossible with this. pressing down often also presses up! so you get a double key happening randomly when navigating!!!

Rob
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

How low do the switches need to be?

I wondered if the rotary encoder
http://www.digikey.ca/scripts/dksearch/ ... words=TSWB

Is low enough. Even if it only gave the 4 buttons, it would be a big improvement.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The "dblkeys" function for changing positive to negative started out in er9x originally, so is in there and ersky9x as well.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

MikeB wrote:The "dblkeys" function for changing positive to negative started out in er9x originally, so is in there and ersky9x as well.

Mike.
Right, one "dblkey", (Invert) is in er9x since long! (I changed a little bit the code to make them more reactive though). But in open9x, you have combinations to reach the Max, the Min and the Default with 2 keys. It's in the same portion of code.

Bertrand.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

I flew with the 9XR today for a couple hour. I didn't find the ergonomics bad at all, in fact I sort of liked it - maybe better than a 9x -- but that's hard to say because I was flying slow easy relaxing planes today, and when switch positioning etc. is really important is when I've got a kitten on fire I'm trying to keep on track with a crowd behind me yelling "lower". :)
But I did have trim switch problems in the cold -- they didn't want to register a click when I rocked them.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Just ran into this post viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2546&p=36082#p35990 have to wonder if that's anything to do with the problems I was having flashing the 9XR. It works now so I hate to mess with it -- but I'm afraid I might have to test this.

Any input before I jump off that cliff?
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

A lot of switch issues being posted. I thought it got real cold in china?
Better start saving up for the next revision of the 9xr at this rate.
BTW,
Many have commented on the tx back not having a ground clearance handle to protect the modules antennas that stick out.
I see two screw holes on the back. Could they be for some future bracket?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358146075.777549.jpg

cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

I'm guessing it could be used for a transmitter stand. so you don't smush the antenna of hour tx module.

Using Tapatalk on my Playbook
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I'm thinking antenna bracket/stand also.
It is threaded and is part of a metal var attached to the case back so it is reinforced.
Maybe we'll see some creative uses for those homes an more see them.
SM

Wimh

Post by Wimh »

Scott Page wrote:Well, these buttons officially SUCK! My down arrow doesn't work at all now. Thank goodness for pot scrolling. the menu, exit, and trims have not given me issues, but the for way buttons are a royal pain in the arse!
This guy thinks he found a "solution..." :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLxAGTd4sb8
Wim
Belgium
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

ShowMaster wrote:I'm thinking antenna bracket/stand also.
It is threaded and is part of a metal var attached to the case back so it is reinforced.
Maybe we'll see some creative uses for those homes an more see them.
SM

It's 3mm thread.

I'm thinking of making a plexiglas form of antenna protection. Form it like the rough sketch attached, and then heat the middle and fold to a "U" shape so the module protrudes through but behind the plexi. Just needs to be high enough on the back to keep it from resting on the antenna. Heat the area that will need to bend with heat gun.
Antenna protection.jpg
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

There are a couple reports on RCgroups of 9XRs with telemetry hacks, Frsky DHT, and burying the antenna in the handle. Might not have to protect the module antenna if all you need is Frsky and can mount everything internally.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Certainly would make a nice mod if done like that.

Now.. If a sky board could be installed?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Helle

Post by Helle »

Hy,

what voltage regulator does the 9XR board have.

is it possible to work with a 2 cell lipo

where can I find the mod of the 9XR

Helle

Return to “Turnigy 9XR radio”