FrSky 2015 firmware update

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
Kilrah

Re: FrSky 2015 firmware update

Post by Kilrah »

You need to flash either the FrSky "non-eu" 2.0.9.2 radio firmware, or OpenTX. Module firmware can stay the same.

dinamich

Post by dinamich »

You only need to flash latest opentx. The frsky version that you got now has D modes disabled, but only in menu selection.

Update: missed Kilrah's answer before posting...
projectkk2glider@github
littlbee

Post by littlbee »

OK so in the meantime I contacted FrSky and got the final, simple, word. The FrSky Taranis 2.0.9.2-eu firmware is explicitely limited to only allow using the internal RF module in d16-eu mode, nothing else, while the RF module is not any different from the non eu version of the Taranis. So to get to the d8, lr12 and d16 (non eu) modes, you need to flash the Taranis with the FrSky 2.0.9.2 firmware (ie non "eu") or obviously you could also go for a more recent OpenTx firmware level compatible with the X9D Plus. Doing so indeed there are no more issues to bind to receivers such as the d4r-ii.
quadfather

Post by quadfather »

Could someone please help me get this straight in my head?

My understanding was that with the 2.0.9.2-eu firmware the removal of D8 and LR12 was cosmetic, as in the option was not selectable, but the radio module remained unchanged. However, with the latest XJT firmware this appears not to be the case anymore. Could someone clarify this for me?

http://www.frsky-rc.com/download/view.p ... %20Version

Also, am I right in thinking that if I buy a Taranis now that has this latest XJT firmware installed flashing OpenTX won't make a difference?

Thanks in advance for any insight you may provide.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I have been talking to FrSky and this is the situation at present.

The XJT module now only supports D16 mode as D8 mode doesn't comply with the 2015 EU regulations. It is likely that a D8-EU mode will be added when engineering time is available.

DJT and DHT modules do not comply with 2015-EU regs. so will become unavailable in the EU. It is expected that a XHT (hack) module will be available.

'D' series receivers also do NOT comply with the 2015-EU regs. The pricing of 'X' series receivers will reduce to be close to the price of 'D' series receivers.
[hr]
FrSky do have the non-EU firmware for the XJT available for download and previously people have downloaded the EU compliant version that still included D8 mode.
So, if you buy a new Taranis in the EU, it may well only support D16 mode in both the application firmware and the XJT module. There are, however, ways to get D8 mode available.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

quadfather

Post by quadfather »

Thanks Mike! That confirms my thoughts.

Much appreciated,

Tim
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Since it is no longer available on the FrSky site, here is a copy of the January XJT update.
XJT_eu_150122.zip
13-May-2015 13:15
XJT update, D16 complying with EU-2015, includes D8 mode.
(64.15 KiB) Downloaded 859 times
Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
quadfather

Post by quadfather »

MikeB wrote:Since it is no longer available on the FrSky site, here is a copy of the January XJT update.
XJT_eu_150122.zip
Mike.
For now you can still download this firmware from within the version history of the current one. I think they just cleaned up the landing page.
simonjux

Post by simonjux »

Hi, Newbie here! How do I get the XJT eu 150122.zip file above onto my TX? I have no D8 option for binding to tx either. I have a new Taranis Plus.
quadfather

Post by quadfather »

wollenagold

Post by wollenagold »

Hello guys
It's my first post at OpenRC, with a question to somebody who can help me with my X8R who is gone bad during Updating the firmware.
All was going well until the Downloadprocess ended at ca. 60%. The computer was running well only the process was frozen.
I found some tips in the forum but nothing will help.
All other Updates i have maid to go confirm the new EU-confirm Firmwares have been successful. Another X8R, X4R and the XJT-Module in the transmitter.
I have tryed to do it again, but the Updating-Program did not find the device (X8R). No LED at the X8R will lighten when I connect with the Adapter and nor with a very well connditioned Receiver-battery to prevend a instable Power-Sourcing.
Thank for a tip or an member who can help me. The German customer where i bought my system is not able to do this.

Thank You
Wolfgang
quadfather

Post by quadfather »

Hello Wolfgang,

have you tried to remove the red wire from the SPort cable and power the X8R with a separate battery? I've seen reports where people had success with this method.

1. Remove the red wire from the SPort plug.
2. Start the upgrade process
3. When it's trying to find the RX plug in the separate battery

It was also mentioned that the upgrade is quite sensitive. Ideally you don't do anything else on your PC during the upgrade.

I should mention that I have not tried the above myself as my own flashing attempts succeeded without problems.

Good luck.

Tim
wollenagold

Post by wollenagold »

Thanks for the answer. I did it in this way too but without success. The strange thing is there is no lighting of the rx-led powering it on. perhaps the bootloader of the stm32 got damaged and should be reoverwritten.
Perhaps somebody in the forum is able to do this.
It may be that my English isn't perfect so I hope all input is understandable
with thanks
wolfgang
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The bootloader is supposed to be well protected, I personally failed several flashes but never ended up with a dead unit.

Anyway if that is the issue nobody but FrSky at their HQ has the ability to reflash it.
SR71

Post by SR71 »

wollenagold wrote:Hello guys
It's my first post at OpenRC, with a question to somebody who can help me with my X8R who is gone bad during Updating the firmware.
All was going well until the Downloadprocess ended at ca. 60%. The computer was running well only the process was frozen.

viewtopic.php?t=5294

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk
Myckey

Post by Myckey »

Sorry if this is a bit of a basic question but I have a TX with a Sky9X board transmitting through a DJT module to various D8R-II Plus receivers.

All of which is absolutely perfect and I wouldn’t change it for the world.

However as I fly in competitions sometimes many miles from home I really need a backup TX (just in case I drop it).

It seems that the easiest (and cheapest) way to get a backup is to buy a Taranis, as I’m in the UK this will come with eu firmware installed.

So, the question is will a Taranis with eu firmware bind with my old receivers or if not what do I need to persuade it to do so?

Ideally I would like to leave everything existing “as is” and just change the new TX if necessary, I don’t think the receivers can be updated anyway.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Phil
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Currently the EU firmware on the XJT (internal or external) doesn't support the 'D' series receivers anymore. You do have the option of 'downgrading" the firmware on the module to the older (pre 2015) version to regain 'D' series compatibility.

You could get another DJT module, they are currently available from here: http://rclife.co.uk/Frsky-RC/Frsky-Modules. This would plug into the external module bay of the Taranis and provide 'D' series compatibility, without and firmware changes.

Another option, if you are prepared to wait a few weeks, is the forthcoming 9Xtreme board, see: viewtopic.php?f=95&t=7182&hilit=9xtreme. You would just get another 9X Tx, and plug this on, and a DJT module in the back.

A third option is a 9XR-PRO. This is a 9XR Tx with a SKY board in it! You would still need a DJT module.

Are you running ersky9x or openTx on your SKY board? While the Taranis is shipped with openTx, ersky9x is available to run on it.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Myckey

Post by Myckey »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick answer, it seems to me a no brainer at only £20.00 to get a spare DJT module anyway in case that’s the part I might break in my main TX system, in fact I ordered it about an hour before I read your reply and funnily enough from the same place you suggested.

The other two options are also very easily available to me as well, I have an unused 9X save for the fact that it has a smartie parts board installed in it and I also have a 9XR-Pro doing nothing as well. I also have a 9XR (but we don’t mention that one).

So, I can wait as the new DJT module will be a backup anyway should the existing one fails and will work in the 9XR-PRO or indeed the 9X if the whole lot goes kaput, neither though is a viable long term solution though because A, the telemetry doesn’t work on the 9XR Pro board and B, the gimbals can’t be adjusted for stick tension in any way (and the 9X ones are just plain awful).

Anyway I e-mailed Stephen last week to get put on the list for the new board which he has done so when that comes and I can make a more informed decision I’ll either upgrade the 9X or go down the Taranis route with reprogrammed software, I’d like to keep to the upgrading route if I can but with the cost of customs (VAT), shipping and new gimbals added in it just might not make any sense.

BTW to answer your question I’m using ersky9x version r167 on the sky board (never seen a reason to change it) and version r217 in the 9XR-PRO.

Once again thank you for all your help.

Phil
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The telemetry should work perfectly well on the 9XR-PRO, you just need the cable that plugs in to the Futaba socket and the back of the DJT.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Myckey wrote:the gimbals can’t be adjusted for stick tension in any way (and the 9X ones are just plain awful).
The Taranis gimbals fit the 9x radio.. I have them on my 9x with skyboard..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Myckey

Post by Myckey »

Hi Mike, you are absolutely right, it should, but unfortunately it doesn’t, either with the cable in the Futaba socket or bypassing the socket completely with a servo extension from the DJT RXD and TXD pins directly to the RXD and TXD pins on the board. It isn’t the DJT as that same DJT works in the other TX and it also outputs to a FrSky screen.

I’ve checked every connector I can and can’t find anything immediately obviously wrong, it isn’t deal breaker but nice to have especially the weak signal warning.

João, spot on, I’ve just been looking at those and they appear to me to be pretty much the same as the Aurara 9 version so I’ll give them a try.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Did you set the "FrSky COM Port" value to 2 in the telemetry menu?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Myckey

Post by Myckey »

Hi Mike,

Rather sheepishly no I didn’t, it never worked out of the box and although I’m pretty sure I upgraded to the latest ersky9X version I then followed all the details from the SKY Board TX which has com port value as 1 in that menu (and has always worked flawlessly).

Having just changed it to 2 it now all works for the first time ever so thank you very much for that information.

That now seems to have solved every issue there was, just wait for the Taranis gimbals, reroute the telemetry wire direct from the board to the DJT bypassing the trainer port which will look a lot neater and the job should be done.

Mind you I may well still upgrade the old 9X anyway, seems a shame not to.

Thank you, very much appreciated.

Phil
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

One of the few differences between the SKY board and the 'PRO. The SKY board just provided two COM ports, you chose which to wire to the telemetry.
On the 'PRO, COM1 is wired as a FrSky SPort connection to pin 5 (bottom pin) of the module connector, and is used directly with the XJT module. COM2 is wired to the Futaba socket
If you add a wire internally to the DJT module, it can use pin 5 as well. The 'PRO includes circuitry to handle the (RS232) voltage from the DJT.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Myckey

Post by Myckey »

That makes sense as when the board was built if my memory serves me correctly the XJT series didn’t exist so I simply followed all the instructions and presumably it didn’t need the option of which port to use.

All works and looks good now with the wire going in to the back of the case next to the module.

I’ve also just found Brent’s circuit diagram showing where the Bluetooth connection to the board is so if I’m going to change the gimbals then I might just as well put one in.

Thanks once again for your help.

Phil
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Myckey wrote:
I’ve also just found Brent’s circuit diagram showing where the Bluetooth connection to the board is so if I’m going to change the gimbals then I might just as well put one in.
Get a HC-05 as it can be configured as master or Slave.. When Mike has time to finish the implementation perhaps we will be able to have two radios talking to each other ;) Maybe a trainer setup over bluetooth? That would be great ;) :D

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Myckey

Post by Myckey »

Hi João,

I've already bought this one which says it's a transceiver but doesn't say whether it can be master and slave, is that the wrong one?

Bluetooth adapter

I could get this one instead if this is right though.

HCO5 Adapter

I do have to say I'm not sure it would get used a lot but it would certainly shut up the Spectrum lot! (which is of course priceless in itself).

As ever, indebted to your help.

Phil
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Both those links do not seem really right to me.. The first one you can't tell if it is a 05 or a 06.
The second link is a bit strange as they seem to show 2 completely different versions..

I have just searched and here is a link.. But it is on ebay.com

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Serial ... 5d436839b4

João

EDIT: You can do a search for "HC-05 Wireless Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module serial RS232 TTL for arduino"

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Myckey

Post by Myckey »

First one definitely works as that is the one I have at the moment but only to transmit one way. So, at that price I ordered the one from China anyway.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Phil
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

;)

I have one in both my radios.. The 9x with skyboard and the 9XR PRO.. Ready to test trainer over BT when it is available..
Do you know you can connect your radio to eepskye via bluetooth, and program your models on eepskye and see what's happening on the model in real time? ;)
No more guessing what direction the servo is moving when programming a model :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”