News from FrSky

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
Erni

News from FrSky

Post by Erni »

I just saw this:
A new tray Taranis and the Horus (Without openTX ?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns7whyX ... e=youtu.be

jdawson

Re: News from FrSky

Post by jdawson »

If you can't install opentx on Hours it will fail as a radio.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

It will fail for us that use open source. It will be a bless for thousands of others.. :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Dose the new Horus Radio come with the ability to flash it with erSky9x-HORUS ? :?:

Or will there be a need to mod it before we flash it with erSky9x-HORUS ? :?:

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I don't have any real details on the Horus so I'm not currently in a position to do anything for it (yet).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Horus Radio at FrSky: (http://frsky-rc.com/product/pro.php?pro_id=144)
List of FEATURES:
FrSky OS installed, easy for beginners and expansible for advanced users.
Support open-source firmware, such as openTX.
Gimbals: with high resolution magnetic angle sensors and Aluminum CNC base.
Screen: High resolution IPS screen (800*480), touch operation supported.
Inbuilt 9-axis sensor, do everything you can imagine.
Voice broadcast and recognition
Bluetooth 4.0
*Inbuilt GPS and WiFi might be applied on certain configuration only.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

But nothing regarding even what processor is in it or how the hardware is connected. We need that to get any open-source firmware running.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

It sounds like a job for Core9x if it would support a touch screen ;) :D

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

HI Mike,
I see FrSky is not listing any specifications.
And because they are attempting to write their own new firmware,
may take a long time (several years) before FrSky is able to release Horus for sale.
FrSky may not want in the beginning, when they are able to release Horus for sale,
to have other open-source firmware available.

Touch Screens on RC Radios seems to be a waste of time and cost.
We need to have hands on controls and not trying to play Touch Screen when flying.
I like João's idea of having some switches on the backside of the RC Radio.
I like the idea of a large screen at the top of the RC Radio (reading telemetry) and to keep the programing buttons at the bottom of the RC Radio.

Bob B.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi João,
jhsa wrote:It sounds like a job for Core9x if it would support a touch screen ;) :D
João
Just leave the touch screen part out, not needed with limited flash to work with. ;) :D

Bob B.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

It was just an idea.. that is the tendency now. Even graupner already has some color touch screen displays on their cheap(er) radios.
I don't care about the touch screen. I like the encoder I use with the 9x with the directional switches, wheel and center button, all in one. Touch screen is faster to configure settings and scroll through pages though. it's the only advantage I see..
About the push buttons on the back of my 9x, I just love them. Will probably put another couple. So easy to operate without letting go of the sticks (thumb flyers only :) )
But they have to be carefully placed to feel comfortable. Depends on how you hold the radio and how big your hands are :D Take your time when you do it..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi Mike,
I asked Wayne @ alofthobbies.com if he had specifications for Horus and forward them to you.

He replied in saying, I'll write to FrSky right now and nudge them again. :)

Maybe FrSky will release this needed data for erSky9x-Horus firmware.
It would be a help to FrSky's sales if erSky9x-Horus /eePSkye could be available when it is ready to release.

Bob B.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I don't think any of the open source developers have any of this information, so openTx can't be ported yet either.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

We do have some schematics and docs, but they're probably not current (they're nearly a year old, so a lot may have changed).

We've been concentrating on OpenTX 2.1 for X9E support, until that's ready we don't even think of Horus. It will need a ton of work to make something decent too, several hundred hours of work can be expected as many complex things are being upgraded from current platforms.
offers

News from FrSky

Post by offers »

Can it be that Frsky are not interested in the open source os anymore?
Don't get me wrong, i love the openTx and er9x ( I have two Taranis, and one 9x)
But a lot of guys refuse!! to use it due to the complexity.

Personally I do believe that Frsky could sell a lot more Taranis if it had a simple (and limited) operating system was out of the box.
The wizard is not very helpful either.

I feel, that if we had some kind of different and very simple GUI, over the same openTx, then Frsky could sell the new transmitters with the "Easy-openTx",
In that scenario, it will keep the openTx developers in the loop as partners!! (like what happen with the Taranis)
As partners, the openTx team have access, to all the documentation in very early stage, and could influence the final products with their knowledge.

Guess what, Frsky will earn ad well, they could publish the product earlier, and with better (!) operation system quality.

Am I correct, or just dreaming?

Shmuely.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

This has been suggested before. What is required, to start with, is for someone to actually design what such a simpler interface would look like, and what it could do.
Also, what exactly is the perceived "complexity" of those who refuse to use it?

I've made some improvements to er9x/ersky9x. er9x is often limited due to the lack of program memory on the standard MEGA64 processor. I think I spend more time trying to make the code smaller than I do adding new features!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

My belief is er9x/erSky9x/openTX is not more complicated then other RC radio firmwares.

I am always hearing the frustrated programing complaints from those who have Futaba, Spektrum, Devo,
Hobby King stock turnigy firmware, etc, etc.

When being use to using a particular firmware (RC Radio) with being familiar to its design of operation
and terminology, can causes them to not to want change to a better and more capabilities firmware.

Some people are content with what they have and like to harass their neighbor when they have something new and different then what they have.

Once you are familiar with using er9x/erSky9x and/or openTX firmware it's not difficult to use.
For beginners the programming is not any more difficult then the other RC radio firmwares,
some learn it quickly and others more slowly.
You do not need learn and know everything that that er9x/erSky9x and openTX can do to love using it.

Bob B.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

offers wrote:Can it be that Frsky are not interested in the open source os anymore?
They are, which is why the Horus will be open to other software than theirs.
offers wrote:But a lot of guys refuse!! to use it due to the complexity. I feel, that if we had some kind of different and very simple GUI, over the same openTx
What they find complicated is what is simple for us. What they find simple is what we find limiting and frustrating. There is no way to make everybody happy with just OpenTX (or ersky9x, or anything that uses the same concept). Especially when the people don't have the intention to even try learning - which unfortunately happens often when it comes to radios, regardless of brand.
Any kind of additional layer can only go so far. As soon as people want "one more thing" that the layer doesn't offer they'll have to dig into the current way of doing things - and once they've done either they understand and the layer will be useless, or they don't and won't gain anything. I.e. they'll just waste their time, either delaying the "oh it's so easy" reaction while they could have jumped into it straight away, or the "I can't do that" reaction they'd otherwise have had on day one.
offers wrote:In that scenario, it will keep the openTx developers in the loop as partners!! (like what happen with the Taranis)
As partners, the openTx team have access, to all the documentation in very early stage, and could influence the final products with their knowledge.
We are partners and have the possibility to comment on design. What we don't have is time to do everything we could/would like to do, nor the desire to move away from the concepts we've been working towards until now.

FrSky are making their own "simple" firmware precisely because that's not something we were interested in. We'll continue developing OpenTX, but it will continue to go against the "main stream".
Just look at the preview for OpenTX 2.1. The new telemetry system will likely be a nightmare for someone who already struggles with the open firmwares... but for those with whom the concept "clicks" it will be the best thing anybody makes. That's fine, again we're not expecting everybody to like or manage to twist themselves to understand what we do, we do something for those for whom it's "natural" and who weren't happy with other offerings.
The availability of cheap decent radios running the open firmwares has attracted some people who would probably be better staying with more common radios, but there isn't much we can do against that.
The Taranis was supposed to come the way Horus will, with FrSky firmware out of the box and possibility for the user to change the firmware to "something else", i.e. either OpenTX or ersky9x when it became available too. But as you can see... it's been 2+ years now, and FrSky's firmware isn't ready yet. OpenTX became the default firmware on the Taranis because otherwise ther probably wouldn't bet be a Taranis on the market yet. Pretty sure that even if it got a few people frustrated there's a whole bunch of them who have been able to make good use of it in that time.

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”