3d Printed Shells for the Taranis and other radios

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
unitedheavy

3d Printed Shells for the Taranis and other radios

Post by unitedheavy »

Hey guys!

I purchased a Taranis radio about 6 months ago. Definitely one of the most sophisticated and advanced pieces of equipment I've handled, but I could not stand the body, it just didn't click with me. Otherwise it was fantastic. Still, it had to go, and now I'm back to using a DX8.

Has there been any work to move taranis components to a different transmitter shell, similar the Futaba 8fg or new DX6 (2 of my favorite radios for their ergonomic form factors) So far as I know most manufacturers refuse to sell their transmitter cases separate from the interior components (of course, FrSky is an exception) I know that there have been a few custom made boxy aluminum cases, but has anyone come up with anything more streamlined and practical?

Is there any interest in making an open source transmitter shell? I don't think it would be too hard to model something like the 8fg - more difficult would be making sure that all the new electronics have proper mounting points. Any 3d modelers out there who would like to participate? People willing to tear down their taranis for measurements would be great as well.

I guess this might lead to unique transmitters being custom built from the ground up? Now that would be interesting. Maybe a new home for old crystal electronics?

rotarypower101

Re: 3d Printed Shells for the Taranis and other radios

Post by rotarypower101 »

This is a great idea!

Would love to see a minimalists approach that fits the guts, but is small and ergonomic, doing away with the time honored brick philosophy.
timrowledge

Post by timrowledge »

I'm working on a design for a tray style case; don't like hedgehog boxes.
TX-2-outline_2.jpg
Uses all the Taranis circuit boards, carbon top surface, printed internal structures.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Or just wait for the X9E, the tray version of the Taranis.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
timrowledge

Post by timrowledge »

Yeah, but I've seen pictures. Not pretty. And I like to make stuff.

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”