Switches not recognized - stock 9XR/OpenTX

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
edwar64896

Switches not recognized - stock 9XR/OpenTX

Post by edwar64896 »

Hello gentlefolk.
I have a new stock 9XR which I have flashed to OpenTX using Companion. the 9XR is using the Mega 128 chip, so I have selected the appropriate settings in preferences.

For some reason, when I boot into OpenTx, the THR and AIL switches seem to be stuck "on" and the warning page comes up. All the other switches seem to work ok, but not the AIL and THR switches.
These switches worked ok with the original Turnigy firmware.

Is there some newbie mistake I have made in configuration do we think? This is my first time with OpenTX, so please be gentle with me.

thx,

mark.

Flaps 30

Re: Switches not recognized - stock 9XR/OpenTX

Post by Flaps 30 »

Sounds like you may have selected Frsky as one of the options in the preferences. Deselect it and download the firmware again and burn it.

If it isn't that. Please post the file name of the downloaded firmware (which has all the options shown) here so that we can work out what is going on.
edwar64896

Post by edwar64896 »

Yup - that was it. I have reflashed and everything working as expected. Many thanks for the pointer.

I have an FRSky Telemetry module in the back on this TX, so assumed that FRSKy would be a useful option to select... Guess that was a wrong assumption then! ;-)
m
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Glad to have helped. :)

I take it that you have a DJT module plugged in.

To use the telemetry with the OpenTx firmware so that the information is displayed on the TX, will require some hardware changes within the transmitter and that involves changes concerning the two switches, hence why the error So unless you have made the hardware changes, you shouldn't select Frsky in the preferences.
Oddshot

Post by Oddshot »

So with the DHT DIY module installed via Smartieparts 2.4 and TelemetrEZ, running OpenTX r2281 with the TelemetrEZ and sp22 ticked on Companion9x, should I be seeing this same THR/AIL switch ALERT at power up?

It goes away and the switches seem to work afterward, but it is kinda annoying, is this just a harmless bug or something that needs to be fixed before flying?

I have just installed my second DHT after I could not get the first to function correctly/consistently (this new one at least binds properly)... I had hoped this ALERT would go away, but both in er9x and now in OpenTX it is still persistent.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

You need to upgrade the tez firmware.

Easy job. Steve can give you details :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Oddshot

Post by Oddshot »

OHHH, need new FW for the Telemetrez board... that explains it... whew... SUPER!

Thanks again Rob... guess I have not been the only one experiencing this.

I will write Steve and get the details.

Cheers!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I've never seen the new EZ board and how it works or installs.
I have a older v2.1 board and now just modify the traces.
Are their any videos showing how to install it, use it, and wire it to a DHT or DJT module?
I'm sure someone locally in my clubs will ask for help with installing or troubleshooting a EZ board at some point.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
Oddshot

Post by Oddshot »

Steven from Smartieparts wrote me back (a very detailed, fast reply by the way) and stated that the switch warnings are a known issue on "some" 9x's and that if the switch warning goes away after 15 seconds (like mine does) it does not impede the proper functioning of the radio, which is exactly what I was concerned about.

Here is a quote from his reply:

"Your Ail/Thr switch issue needs clarification though. If the switch problem persists longer than 15 seconds after powering on, then updating the TelemetrEZ's firmware isn't your issue. In that case, it is more likely that you don't have the proper firmware on your 9x. TelemetrEZ depends on supporting firmware being on your 9x. For OpenTX, that means selecting the "TelemetrEZ" option in Companion before downloading.
If the switch error goes away by itself after 15 seconds, then this is a known issue that affects some 9x's which boot up slower (for what reason, I do not know) then the ones I developed with. The TelemetrEZ assumes, incorrectly, that the 9x is currently being programmed itself (the only time that the 9x should appear "off" when the TelemetrEZ is on) so it goes into a 15 second holding pattern to give the 9x time to finish programming. Before you do anything, please consider that for most people this really isn't a "problem". Not one worth fixing anyway. Its only 15 seconds and only when you power on your radio. And it is easily bypassed by simply pressing a button (as it states on that error screen). Its unlikely that you need those switches and/or your telemetry in the first 15 seconds. But if you do want to "fix" it, Rob is right and its just a simple matter of updating your TelemetrEZ's firmware."

He goes on to say that for those of us with the Smartieparts Rev 2.4 board (the most recent release), that updating the TelemetrEZ firmware is easy:

Since you have a Rev 2.4 SP board, updating your TelemetrEZ is really quite simple. Make sure the ISP cable is connected. This is the cable that came with your SP board which has one white connector and one black connector and 6 wires (5 white, 1 black). The white connector connects to the SP board where it is labeled "AUX ISP". The black connector connects to the TelemetrEZ's ISP header, with the black wire corresponding to the corner of the header marked with a tiny white arrow or circle. The cable can remain connected permanently so you don't have to open your case for updating the TelemetrEZ. The software and updating procedure are shown on this forum post. That post was written before Rev 2.4 was available so you can ignore the part about using a USBasp (the Rev 2.4 performs that role). Just connect your USB cable to your SP board the same you would for updating the 9x's firmware, but leave the 9x powered off. That is how the SP board knows what it should try to program... if the 9x is powered on, it will attempt to flash the 9x's chip, and if the 9x is powered off then it will attempt to flash whatever is connected to the AUX ISP cable. Also note that you can't use Companion at this time to flash the TelemetrEZ. Use the software provided in the previously linked forum post.

For me this SOLVES it, my weeks of fussing with 2 different FrSky DHT modules comes down to my 9x being one of the few, that for whatever reason, are slow on the uptake... then again, given the speed at which I boot up every morning, this is appropriate :)

Showmaster, I have not seen any how-to videos for the Smartieparts, but on their website, Steven has very detailed documentation... however, I did have a few questions I had to solve along the way that were simply the result of my noobness and not being well versed in the lingo.

If an EXTREME noob wiki were needed on this, I would consider writing it up if it would be a help, it is all still fairly fresh in mind... shouldn't wait too long though!

Have a Great Day All!
rcskypilot

Post by rcskypilot »

Folks, here's some information on the TEZ ISP header connector if you're intending to keep the ISP plugged in between the TEZ and SP board. Before closing up the two 9X halves, I'd like to advise taking a look at the 9X throttle (mode 2) trim board solder connection points, to make sure the soldered in components on the throttle trim board are snipped off as in flush with the solder pads. Reason being that when you close up the 9X halves, the tolerances between where the TEZ ISP header connector, with the connector plugged in, has a slight margin or space in conjunction with the 9X throttle trim board soldered in components. My experience unfortunately is that the throttle trim components were sort of "poking up", and as such short circuited with the plugged in ISP header connector's black wire on the TEZ board. This apparently has permanently destroyed the TEZ processor such that it will not function to program the TEZ with the AIL and THR switch error indicative as a permanent result - thus rendering a non-functional TEZ.
EDIT: adding some additional information:
1.) The TEZ to SP bridge connector has one black wire that plugs into the TEZ ISP header connector such that the black wire is oriented with the white arrow stamped on the TEZ circuit board - upper left position.
2.) If you have implemented the Frsky DHT module, the 2 wire TEZ Rx/Tx connector plugs into the DHT module so that the black wire (Rx) matches with Rx pin on right side of the DHT when looking at the DHT module face up. NOTE: The labels for Rx/Tx pins (receiver/transmitter) are identified on the backside of the DHT module. It is important to notice that the DHT has four pins, but the 2 wire (black/white) connector that comes with the TEZ package is a 5 pin connector.
wis

Post by wis »

I have the same problem with the jeti modul ....
What I have to do to solve this ?

Thx for your help

Wilfrid
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Hi all,

I have nearly the same problem as the thread starter. All switches working fine until I flashed to openTX. In my case it is only the Throttle Switch causing a problem. When I turn the TX on, the switch shows as "Off" in the display. When I turn it on this is displayed as well. But when I turn it off again, it is still displayed an "On". At first I thought this might be only a display problem, but a connected servo reacts the same, it will not move back after the switch was moved to "On" position. This will stay for maybe a minute (def. not the '15 seconds'), then I can use the switch again. Once only, cause then this behaviour starts again.

I have tried several compile options, I have made sure the frsky option is disabled, but no success. Any ideas?

9xr with M128
openTX r2940
Companion9x 1.52

Greetings,
Rolf

Return to “openTx”