Airplane, Heli, Glider, Car, Airboat/Watercraft?

Not sure what firmware to use? Making a new firmware? Ask in here!
CTSmithey

Airplane, Heli, Glider, Car, Airboat/Watercraft?

Post by CTSmithey »

Hey guys my dad and I have not started "flying" as yet. We have a nice 9X Radio and it currently has the Radio Clone firmware on it. That is how it was setup when we bought it. The person I got it from purchased a few of the FS-TH9X FlySky Radios and put in the SmartiParts board, back light ect. But has the Radio Clone in it, I already spoke to Crucial and am waiting for a USB cable so I can change it over to something else. My question is this, what can we do to also make the radio be workable for our Water Craft we build RC Airboats that is our main hobby, we have a plane we got and are using trainer/RC Sim programs to learn a bit about flying before we slam a 500$ plane into the ground. It is ok to just use the radio with any firmware for our Airboats? Or can someone that knows how maybe write something for them, I do not have any kind of knowledge when it comes to writing stuff like that, even tho is is pretty basic 3 channel setup we use the 3rd channel with a micro servo and micro-switch as a kill switch for the Magneto on our engines. We have a FlySky GT3B but my dad can not seem to get the "hang" of the steering wheel deal LOL! I find it rather funny myself so I thought a good radio we could use for everything we want to do fly or boat would be a better idea.

Any advice or ideas is appreciated.

Thanks for reading.
CTSmithey
RC Airboat build log.
[url]http://www.rcairboats.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2364[/url]
Strange can not get the URL to work. lol!

Crucial

Re: Airplane, Heli, Glider, Car, Airboat/Watercraft?

Post by Crucial »

No problem at all using the radio for boats. The radio doesn't care what you are controlling. You also don't need special firmware written for your boats. er9x will do everything you need. The firmware on the radio is just a way to tell the output of the radio what you want to move. You will be able to program one of the switches on the radio to move that micro servo from one position to another which will trigger your switch on or off. Another mix in the radio will tell the throttle stick to move the throttle servo to turn the power up or down on your engine. Another mix will tell the servo to move the air deflectors on the back left or right. (assuming this is how you control the boat)

These are the same setup steps for a plane. You are telling the radio what you want the sticks to control and the receiver is hooked up to the servos you are wanting to move.
CTSmithey

Post by CTSmithey »

Ah ok cool, thank you again Crucial, man you really are a great help with getting us to understand this more and more. I really appreciate your time and answers we are learning a lot :) I did get that cable ordered. Also to use the Radio a a Trainer for RC PC Programs I ordered the 9-in-1 cable from EBay, I had read that was the one to get hope I was rite on that one.

Thanks again buddy.
CTSmithey
RC Airboat build log.
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

Here is what I use for my airboat. (Note: just ignore or delete the CH2 mix for ELE)

HTH,

Ted
airboat.eepe
(1.28 KiB) Downloaded 464 times
CTSmithey

Post by CTSmithey »

Cool, thanks there Ted, I appreciate it. If we can just turn those off or delete them out like you said there perfect. Now when I get the SI3-1/4 scale hull for the 57cc chainsaw motor we are going to run, I also am going to be building in sort of a air flap system on the front of the boat where it will raise a fin to help push the nose down as needed in case of front lift, and also to keep her nose in lol. We are wanting to set a new SI3-1/4 Scale record for RC Airboats. I really wish they would make a 5 or 6 channel in the FlySky GT3-B radio, the reason we really went to the 9x tho is since it can do everything we want, and then some when we get into flying more we are ready to go, and have learned what we need to about the radio an settings ect. before hand.

Thanks for all the advice and help!
CTSmithey
RC Airboat build log.

Return to “other”