Hobbyzone Apprentice S 15e

If you have a model config you would like to share. Post it here!
eyedr

Hobbyzone Apprentice S 15e

Post by eyedr »

I just got an Apprentice S 15e. It is a great trainer. I have flown it twice with no other experience and it's still in one piece! I wanted to get it working with ER9x because I like the radio better than the Dx5e than came with it. Note it is a Dx5e with a 3 position switch, not 2.

Channels 1-4 are standard. Channel 5 is the 3-pos switch for beginner, intermediate, and advanced. Channel 6 is the panic switch to enable SAFE recovery. There is also a channel 7 (labeled AUX2).

I have mine setup on ER9x. Channel 5 is controlled by the 3-pos switch and channel 6 by the trainer switch. I also added a servo on channel 7 set at slow to release a toy glider I attached to the bottom with two small rare earth magnets. I haven't tested this yet to see if it will stay on in flight. If not, it could be used for anything else. I have expo on elevator and aileron but not on rudder due to suggestions from other forums. The aileron switch is setup for high/low like on the Dx5e. I have it set to 100/60%. Sticky throttle hold is enable so that if you disengage throttle hold with the throttle switch, the motor will not come on if the throttle is not reduced to 0 (actually it's -100%). I did that for a little extra safety factor. That prop looks like it would hurt.

I am using the Orange Rx DSM2 transmitter module from Hobbyking so the protocol is set to PPM. If your are using the DSM mod like

http://www.hacksmods.com/er9x-dsm2-mod/ or
http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... M_protocol

Make sure you change it to DSM2

I am by no means an expert and am just learning RC and ER9x so please test everything carefully and use at your own risk. If anything can be improved I am open to any suggestions. I don't know if there is anyone out there using ER9x that will be starting with a trainer, but I figured if I needed it maybe someone else will too...
Attachments
Apprentice S 15e.eepe
(1.41 KiB) Downloaded 546 times

Daedalus66

Re: Hobbyzone Apprentice S 15e

Post by Daedalus66 »

To get the correct throws, it's very important to note that 100% on a Spektrum transmitter corresponds to about 80% on ER9X (or Open9x). If you set up with full throw on ER9X you will have far to much for normal flying in high rate. It's also important to make sure the mechanical adjustment of the surfaces corresponds to the specifications in the manual; my experience as an instructor on the Apprentice is that they frequently come with too much aileron throw.

I would recommend a lower ratio of high to low rate, as having a very large difference such as 100/60 can be very disconcerting if you forget which rate you are using -- I've seen several crashes caused this way. The 100/75 ratio used on the DX5e is about right for normal flying.

Moderate expo (20 to 35%) is very helpful on all three main controls, including rudder. Just how much to use varies with the handling of the model. For Apprentipce, I'd suggest starting with 25% on all three. Too much expo can be troublesome as it may mean that the model's responsiveness increases too rapidly at the ends of travel. I find it's particularly important not to use too much on elevator, as landing should involve using most of the available up elevator and you don't want a sudden increase in response just at touchdown. Expo is very helpful on rudder during takeoff, as it allows for finer directional control with the small movements needed to stay on track.
eyedr

Post by eyedr »

Thank you Daedalus66. I will make those changes before I fly again. Since 100% is really about 80%, what should I use for high/low? Should I apply that adjustment to the 75%? That would make high/low 80/60 to equal 100/75 on the Spektrum transmitter.
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

I'm not DD66 but to answer your question... The manual for the Apprentice gives the recommended control throws. With your radio set for high rates measure the deflections of each of the control surfaces. You can then adjust the weight for each surface in either the mixer or limits screens (for high rate) or sticks screen (for both high and low rates) to set the recommended deflections. No guesses or estimates involved that way.

HTH,

Ted
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

I agree with Ted. What matters is the physical travel measured at the control surface.

Generally speaking, a ratio of 100/75 for high and low rates is about right, with 100 corresponding to the maximum throws specified in the manual.

imaduck1

Post by imaduck1 »

hi guys i am really new to this and am just totally struggling i think i need step by step help on setting up turnigy 9xr to work with spektrum safe rx in e-flite apprentice.
regards andy

Return to “Template Library”