Lipo auto power off

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
Billthetug

Lipo auto power off

Post by Billthetug »

Hi All lipo,s are a new thing to me so a bit confused
The situation was this
T9x running er9x withe turnigy 2650 mamp battery
Ive been running for about two hours and sudenly the tx switches off, the voltage was 10.6 when I started and I had the low volage set at 8v but as I was busy watching the yacht and walking up and down the side of the pond in races I did not see what voltage the tx switched off at. Checked the voltage when I got home and was reading 8.9v recharged put back in and all working fine so the question is
Do lipo,s cut off at a certain volt level or does the tx cut off? Or do I need to set something in the tx
Many thanks for any help
Bill
Bill A born again modeler
Sent from my ipad using tapatalk

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: Lipo auto power off

Post by Rob Thomson »

You should not allow a lilo to go below 3.3v per cell.

Assuming by in where running a 3 cell, you should not be running lower then 9.9v.

After that, the pack will be damaged. It may charge again, but it is unlikely to ever retain power for any length of time.

Rob

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Good that you weren't flying a plane or helicopter. :)

It seems that you have to do some learning about lipos ;)
I suggest doing some research. Google is your friend. But here are a couple of points.

1- at 10.6V in a transmitter the lipo is already completely discharged. When using it on a tx, you should have the alarm set at around 11.1V. Between 10.8 and 11.1 should be ok.

2- Always try to do a balance charge. That brings all the cells to an equal level of charge. If one cell is too low compared to the others, chances are that it will get damaged or in your case the battery will shut down. Not good. I do not recommend to charge lipos inside the transmitter. A decent charger is also recommended. YOU CAN'T CHARGE LIPOS WITH A NORMAL NIMH CHARGER.

Please do some research. It is very important to handle these batteries properly. The risk of fire is very high if you don't know what you're doing.

Joao

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Rob. 9.9V on a tx pack is way too low. Don't forget that as the tx doesn't take so much current and the voltage doesn't drop so low. And when it does the lipo is already discharged. A lipo at rest should show a voltage of around 11.1V when about 80% discharged. In a tx the voltage under load will be very close to the voltage at rest as the drop is very low. If the alarm is set very low, lets say 10V, you will see that when it reaches about 10.5v the voltage will just start dropping very fast and when the alarm sounds at 10V you don't have time to land your plane anymore. Batt will probably get damaged as well..

Just my 2c

Joao

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Just to echo Joao. The magic number to remember for minimum resting voltage is 3.7volts per cell (11.1 for 3s).

A 3s LiPo battery comes off the charger at 12.6v with 100% charge. By the time it gets to 11.1v only 20% remains. That's when you should stop and recharge, as the battery will drop increasingly rapidly from there. By the time you get to 10.8v it's virtually all over and the battery is about to plunge off a voltage cliff into the zone where damage occurs.

The transmitter will work perfectly well at much lower voltages, but that's not the point. It's all about how much capacity remains and when it's going to run out. Also whether you are risking damage to the battery by over-discharge.

One thing that confuses people is that an ESC is commonly set to cut off at 3.0 to 3.2v per cell. This assumes that the battery will be delivering many amps of current to the motor and therefore will show major voltage depression as a result of Ohms Law (V=IR). But it should still bounce back to a resting voltage above 11.1 when the ESC shuts down.

A modern transmitter pulls under 200 mA, even with lights and sound going. That's 0.1C for a 2000 mAh battery, which explains why the application is totally different from driving a propeller and why LiPos for transmitter use have low C ratings.

pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

The voltages the OP cites are appropriate for a LiFePO4 battery but not a Lipo. I have a 1800mAh LiFe battery in my 9x. It's good for at least 10 hrs.

I don't think you can set a TX voltage warning on the 9x with ER9x, IIRC there was a battery calibration setting. It's been a long time since I went to the LiFe battery.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Er9x does include a battery warning voltage setting in the RADIO SETUP menu.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yes it does ;)

Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1397309145942.jpg

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Billthetug

Post by Billthetug »

Hi all first of all thank you all for the advise
Yes I do have a turnigy accucell 6 charger and fire bag and have ballance charged it but will keep a close eye on it tomorrow, I have bought a life 04 9.9v to use as it is a bit smaller in size so not as tight a fit
And yes I did a lot of google and found so many conflicting ideas I got confused with them so will now look up the safe cut off for the life and see how long it lasts then get another as stanby the lipo can get religated to powering the fire hydrants on the big tug.
One thing I have learned these modern batteries are not like the old nicads where you could run them down to empty (we all have to learn sometime) and at my age its getting harder lol
Once again thank you all and your avice has been taken on board
Bill
Just found a descent manual for the charger the imax b6 this gives me the min cut off for
Lipo 3v so will set the alarm as suggested at 11.1 if it ever get used in the tx again
And 2v for life 9.9v so will set the alarm for 7.5 to be on the safe side and I think I will have to look into fitting the haptic to get the alarm feel as my hearing isn't that good (the wife always said I had selective hearing)
Billthetug

Post by Billthetug »

Next stop PayPal to do the honers
Daedalus66

Lipo auto power off

Post by Daedalus66 »

Billthetug wrote:Hi all first of all thank you all for the advise

And 2v for life 9.9v so will set the alarm for 7.5 to be on the safe side and I think I will have to look into fitting the haptic to get the alarm feel as my hearing isn't that good (the wife always said I had selective hearing)
No, no, no!

Again these minimum numbers are the point where damage to the battery starts to happen. They are NOT a guide to using the battery in a transmitter. Once a 3s LiFe battery gets to 3.0v it's essential game over as far as delivering power is concerned. After that, the battery will very rapidly drop to the point where the transmitter shuts off.

For a 3s LiFe, the appropriate warning voltage is about 9.3. (Some people suggest 9.0v but I see absolutely no reason to push to the limit. I charge when the battery gets to 9.5 or 9.6, or sooner.)

By the way, my experience is that the 1500 LiFe battery can survive ONE complete discharge (leaving on overnight) with only moderate swelling? To recover, you have to charge for a few minutes on NiMH cycle to get up into the voltage range where the LiFe cycle will work. Be very careful. Do it outdoors and stay there!

A second complete discharge will cause the battery to swell excessively when recharged. Don't ask how I know.
Billthetug

Post by Billthetug »

Ok so a life 9.9v cant go below 9.5 so will set the alarm for 9.6 as yet I have not used this one only the lipo
This is what I mean by getting confused reading one thing from the manual then getting advise from people that actually use it and knowing what they are talking about.
I have set the alarm at 9.6 and the battery calibration at 9.9 hope this is correct now
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Billthetug wrote:I have set the alarm at 9.6 and the battery calibration at 9.9 hope this is correct now
You should really measure the battery voltage with a multimeter and then adjust the calibration, so that the voltage indicated on the transmitter matches what you had/have on the multimeter.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I have a 1500 LiFe in my TX. Alarm set at 9.3V
Today I decided to rise the alarm to 9.4V as I watched the voltage drop really quickly after the alarm sounded at 9.3V
I asked a friend to let me use his battery checker and the reading was 9.3V and 0% charge. So obviously 9.3V is still too low. Again the radios today take very little current and the voltage being higher can be a little misleading, because there is very little voltage drop. So, then when the battery is already discharged, the voltage just drops so fast that it could be too late to land the plane before the radio shut down and plane will crash, the battery gets damaged, or both..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Daedalus66

Lipo auto power off

Post by Daedalus66 »

Billthetug wrote:Ok so a life 9.9v cant go below 9.5 so will set the alarm for 9.6 as yet I have not used this one only the lipo
This is what I mean by getting confused reading one thing from the manual then getting advise from people that actually use it and knowing what they are talking about.
I have set the alarm at 9.6 and the battery calibration at 9.9 hope this is correct now
Please read what I said. I specifically recommended 9.3v for the alarm. I said I charge by the time it gets to about 9.5 or 9.6v or earlier. The point is that you should never hear the alarm if you are paying attention and charge when appropriate. Setting the alarm at 9.6v is unnecessarily high.

With respect to calibration, there is no guesswork involved. Measure the pack voltage and set the calibration accordingly. If you don't have a meter handy, a good approximation can be achieved by assuming that a recently charged battery will be at 9.9v after half an hour to an hour or so of transmitter operation. This will give a pretty good calibration.

You can expect it to decline only very slowly over several hours of further operation. Once it gets down to about 9.7v it gradually starts to decline more rapidly.

EDIT: regarding Joao's suggestion of 9.4v for the alarm, I think he's being a bit more conservative than he needs to, but a little more caution doesn't hurt. Anyway, you should be charging before it gets that low. But certainly 9.6 is needlessly high. The alarm should be a last ditch warning telling you to stop flying while there's still time, not a casual reminder to charge some time soon.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I decided to rise it to 9.4V after I saw the voltage really dropping very fast. maybe it is more conservative, but I feel it is the right thing to do as I don't like to be looking for trouble if I have the choice to avoid it ;)
I do agree with you when you say that we shouldn't wait for the alarm to recharge the battery..
João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Batt is an input available to the custom switches as in:
v<ofs Batt 9.8
This means you can add a warning level alarm in addition to the hard coded alarm.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

So maybe a "Time to charge" reminder could be programmed for 9.6v. And a "Land now! Land now! Land now!" announcement in a panicky voice for say 9.1v. :)
Billthetug

Post by Billthetug »

Sounds like a good idea when I can work out how to do it
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The correct panic voice for 9.1V with a LiFe battery would be "you're crashing in 10, 9, 8, 7..........3, 2, 1, whoop whoop terrain, terrain.."

Joao

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Billthetug

Post by Billthetug »

jhsa wrote:The correct panic voice for 9.1V with a LiFe battery would be "you're crashing in 10, 9, 8, 7..........3, 2, 1, whoop whoop terrain, terrain.."

Joao

In my case Sinking lol
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Daedalus66 wrote:
Billthetug wrote:Hi all first of all thank you all for the advise

No, no, no!

Again these minimum numbers are the point where damage to the battery starts to happen. They are NOT a guide to using the battery in a transmitter. Once a 3s LiFe battery gets to 3.0v it's essential game over as far as delivering power is concerned. After that, the battery will very rapidly drop to the point where the transmitter shuts off.

For a 3s LiFe, the appropriate warning voltage is about 9.3. (Some people suggest 9.0v but I see absolutely no reason to push to the limit. I charge when the battery gets to 9.5 or 9.6, or sooner.)

By the way, my experience is that the 1500 LiFe battery can survive ONE complete discharge (leaving on overnight) with only moderate swelling? To recover, you have to charge for a few minutes on NiMH cycle to get up into the voltage range where the LiFe cycle will work. Be very careful. Do it outdoors and stay there!

A second complete discharge will cause the battery to swell excessively when recharged. Don't ask how I know.
jhsa wrote:Rob. 9.9V on a tx pack is way too low. Don't forget that as the tx doesn't take so much current and the voltage doesn't drop so low. And when it does the lipo is already discharged. A lipo at rest should show a voltage of around 11.1V when about 80% discharged. In a tx the voltage under load will be very close to the voltage at rest as the drop is very low. If the alarm is set very low, lets say 10V, you will see that when it reaches about 10.5v the voltage will just start dropping very fast and when the alarm sounds at 10V you don't have time to land your plane anymore. Batt will probably get damaged as well..

Just my 2c

Joao

Agreed. I was referring to the absolute minimum you should go. Certainly then time margins would be very small!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Are you running the 9X standard, or have you done any telemetry or voice mods? The alarms you can have vary depending on these.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Billthetug

Post by Billthetug »

Hi Mike yes done the telemetry mod and is running fine with er9x telemetry nhtemplates
Bill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

One of the audio mods possible is to use a piezo speaker instead of the standard buzzer. Interestingly, the buzzer doesn't do too badly when used in piezo speaker mode.
Try setting the sound mode (RADIO SETUP menu) to PiSpkr. Then go to the Safety Switches, pick a channel not being used for the safety function, and change its type to 'A' (for Audio). Select a switch (say GEA for now). When the switch is ON, the audio specified by the last parameter (Warn1 by default) sounds every few seconds. Change the selected sound until you find one you like!

Now set up a CUSTOM SWITCH as:
CS1: v<ofs Batt 9.5
Change the switch entry in the safety switch to SW1.
Now, when your battery voltage drops below 9.5 volts, you will get the audio sound selected playing.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Billthetug

Post by Billthetug »

Thanks for that Mike
Set it up but I think it will be a while before it triggers as I started yesterday at 10.1 ran for two hrs and today is still at 10.1 so we will see how it goes
Cheers
Bill
Billthetug

Post by Billthetug »

Hi Mike managed to test it by moving the batt alarm level up and it works fine
Got my new toy delivered today (battery tester) and it has now convinced me about power in batteries
My 9.9 life was still reading 10v after two hrs use so decided to try the meter and was amazed that there was only 35% left so it is on charge.
Cheers
Bill
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That's what we have been saying here.. :) It would be interesting to know how much the charger put back in..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Billthetug

Post by Billthetug »

It put about 700 Back in then tested on the meter =95% When it cut off but after four hrs rest it is reading 90% c1 3.399 c2 3.395 c3 3.396
Bill
This is the life04 battery I am using
9.9v 1300 mAh
Attachments
The meter &amp; battery
The meter & battery
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Billthetug wrote:Hi Mike managed to test it by moving the batt alarm level up and it works fine
Got my new toy delivered today (battery tester) and it has now convinced me about power in batteries
My 9.9 life was still reading 10v after two hrs use so decided to try the meter and was amazed that there was only 35% left so it is on charge.
Cheers
Bill
What kind of battery tester are you using?

Return to “Hardware”