Best source for learning about custom switches and functions

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
Tr3TopFlyer

Best source for learning about custom switches and functions

Post by Tr3TopFlyer »

Hey guys,

I've read through the information on the wiki and I've watched some of Scott Page's videos (which were very helpful) but I'm wondering if there is a better source to learn about custom switches and custom functions and how to use them? Maybe examples? Like...if I want to know when my right slider is at 50% throw with an audible beep. I've been able to program some things like making my momentary contact switch read RSSI and A1 values but I'm a long way from feeling confident that I know how to approach setting other features up with these tools. Thanks.
"it's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled."

Cheers!

outdoors4evr

Re: Best source for learning about custom switches and funct

Post by outdoors4evr »

I agree with your inquery.
There are descriptions of the Custom Functions section scattered abroad the internet, though some of the functions are still a mystery to me. (like Trainer Rud and Switch SH<downarrow>S)

I haven't found sufficient documentation regarding the Custom Switches selections in the V1.
Nor do I understand the math function like a!=b when the "!" has been used as a not function in other areas of the code.

Note: Adding a beep for a slider center is a checkbox on the main setup page.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I believe a very detailed manual is being written for another radio in the works that will better define the programming options. Being that the options are very similar it may be a excellent reference source in the near future.
No release date but I'm looking forward to it myself.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Tr3TopFlyer

Post by Tr3TopFlyer »

"Note: Adding a beep for a slider center is a checkbox on the main setup page."

Ah! I see that now. Thanks.

Cheers!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Not to be the RTFM guy, but I believe everything is pretty well covered in the manual:
outdoors4evr wrote:There are descriptions of the Custom Functions section scattered abroad the internet, though some of the functions are still a mystery to me. (like Trainer Rud and Switch SH<downarrow>S)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qlh ... 5p057xrmpk

Code: Select all

Trainer, TrainerXXX: Enables trainer mode globally, and for individual functions. Unless a custom function is set for an individual function, turning the one set for Trainer automatically activates all 4 sticks.
TrainerRUD allows setting a switch only for the RUD stick in addition to the "general" trainer mode switch.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qlh ... 5p057xrmpk

Scrolling through the list you will also find a few more options: One (triggers just once when loading a model or turning the radio on), SHdownS (short press of the momentary switch), SHdownL (long press of the momentary switch).

outdoors4evr wrote: I haven't found sufficient documentation regarding the Custom Switches selections in the V1.
Nor do I understand the math function like a!=b when the "!" has been used as a not function in other areas of the code.
There is no a!=b...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qlh ... y772qfqidc

a~x: active when variable a is approximately equal to constant x (hysteresis added, as comparing a stick's value for example would pretty much never trigger an exact match)
a<x, a>x: Active when variable a is smaller resp. greater than constant x
|a|<x, |a|>x: Active when the absolute value of variable a is smaller resp. greater than constant x
a<b,a>b,a=b: See above, but with 2 variables
AND, OR, XOR: Logical and, or, exclusive or between 2 binary inputs
d>x, |d|>x: Active when the selected variable, repectively its absolute value has changed by more than x since last time. For example, d>x Alt 10 would trigger once every time Altitude goes up by 10m. |d|>x Alt 10 would trigger once every time Altitude goes up OR down by 10m.
TIM: A timer, TIM 0.5 2.0 would be active for 0.5s, inactive for 2s, and repeat.

Tr3TopFlyer

Post by Tr3TopFlyer »

^ I guess what I'm looking for are examples of how to accomplish useful things. I don't know if you know anything about network engineering but it is like trying to learn to program a router by reading the command reference. Each command is defined but what you need is an example of how you accomplish useful tasks, like configuring a T1 interface to support a PRI trunk for example. And I'm not sure what RTFM is acronese for. :)

Cheers!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

R = Read
T = The
M = Manual

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

ShowMaster wrote:I believe a very detailed manual is being written for another radio in the works that will better define the programming options. Being that the options are very similar it may be a excellent reference source in the near future.
No release date but I'm looking forward to it myself.
It's a work in progress that focuses on Ersky9x firmware. The Taranis manual has been very helpful, so clearly that's the first place to go.

Maybe a thread on using custom switches and related features in both the ER and OpenTX firmware would be a good place to share examples.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Tr3TopFlyer wrote:I guess what I'm looking for are examples of how to accomplish useful things.
Like is most probably the case on your router there are millions of different things you might want to do and many ways to do each of them - so obviously examples would only show a small subset of that. Best to understand the principle and work out what you want.

Custom switches allow comparing 2 things. Custom functions are actions you can trigger with an event.
Look at the list of available functions, figure out in what scenarios you would need them, and then trigger them with the right condition :)
Tr3TopFlyer

Post by Tr3TopFlyer »

Kilrah wrote:
Tr3TopFlyer wrote:I guess what I'm looking for are examples of how to accomplish useful things.
Like is most probably the case on your router there are millions of different things you might want to do and many ways to do each of them - so obviously examples would only show a small subset of that. Best to understand the principle and work out what you want.

Custom switches allow comparing 2 things. Custom functions are actions you can trigger with an event.
Look at the list of available functions, figure out in what scenarios you would need them, and then trigger them with the right condition :)
Good advice. I might even start a thread once I've come up with some things that are useful to me. Then others and chime in with theirs.

Cheers!
SR71

Post by SR71 »

Tr3TopFlyer wrote:Hey guys,

I've read through the information on the wiki and I've watched some of Scott Page's videos (which were very helpful) but I'm wondering if there is a better source to learn about custom switches and custom functions and how to use them? Maybe examples? Like...if I want to know when my right slider is at 50% throw with an audible beep. I've been able to program some things like making my momentary contact switch read RSSI and A1 values but I'm a long way from feeling confident that I know how to approach setting other features up with these tools. Thanks.
Read The Manual First.

Next, for a more advanced use, I would suggest the Mike Shellim's site:

http://rc-soar.com/opentx/index.htm

even if you are not directly interested to gliders (as I am), you find there several tricks, well explained, that can bring you to a more advanced level.

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”