Is The 9X Finished?

Need some advice? Trying out a new idea? Fancy a beer?
Join us for some general banter and good times.
jhsa

Re: Is The 9X Finished?

Post by jhsa »

It can be a deal breaker, yes..
I can honestly tell you that I'm not getting the taranus and the main reason is that it doesn't have an encoder :) And this is not new. I've been telling this since the beginning, so I'm not making it up now..
I can also say according to what I've read that some people will wait for the next radio and the encoder is one of the reasons..
Yes we lived without encoders before, so did we live without voice, so did we live without telemetry, and so did we live without frsky. ;)

You guys are so biased that you start reminding me of the people we laugh about here.. The people that have the expensive gear..
You start to sound like them.. :D

And on topic now:

LONG LIVE THE 9X
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Far from biased.

Just don't see the point in knocking what is a good radio.

Yes. It does not have everything. But it is a solid radio, that is allot better out the box than the standard 9x.

I for one have never been a fan of the 9x hardware. Compared to many radios, it is rubbish. What I have been a fan of is then open firmwares. They are what make the 9x great. In fact.. Then firmwares are so good I sold my other radios!

So yes... Maybe biased. But I can't wait for the new hardware to be avaliable.

Maybe I can tempt you to buy a sky9x board radio, plus upgraded gimbals. (mine will be for sale once I get the Taranis)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

jhsa wrote:It can be a deal breaker, yes..
For you it may be a deal breaker that the Taranis doesn't have one, but when the first pictures of the Horus came up there were 5-6 people saying they'd never buy it because it had one and they hated it - so it goes both ways, it's just personal preference ;)

And yes this is a "ridiculous detail" to me, just like the backlight color, as Flaps30 says... it's a low priority item, if there are any other things you want/need this is something that you'll easily get over. If I want a new phone for its features and it has a soft back button I'll still get it even if I don't like soft buttons and prefer good old clicky ones. If your 9x didn't do voice, you'd certainly get a Taranis even without an encoder.

If you need to take the decision to buy a radio or not on a rotary encoder, it's because you had little interest in it in the first place. Which is your case, you have no reason to buy a Taranis in the first place as your modded 9xs already do most of what it does. No problem with that, but it's just to show that the real "deal breaker" isn't the encoder, it's that you don't need it! The encoder is just the excuse against the "I want it anyway" impulse ;)
Or like some of the guys on RCG with the backlight - they're just frustrated, and have run out of things to bash because they've been proven wrong on all other points ;)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I'm not knocking it.. I'M WAITING FOR THE NEXT FRSKY RADIO :) which I think it could be better for me.. Yes not having an encoder is a turn off for me.. :)
I never said that this radio is not good, actually if you read the RCG thread you will see that I've been defending it because I CAN'T STAND PEOPLE THAT ARE NOT FAIR ;)

This radio is EXPECTED (not many put their hands on it yet) to be good and I have no doubts that it will.

Before I only answered a comment that I believe WASN'T FAIR. The encoder IS NOT a ridiculous detail. Some of us really like it..
This reminds me again when we were debating the audio.. It was not needed, waste of space, not enough memory, etc, etc.. And now? many can't live without it..
I think I know why you're saying this things about the encoder. BECAUSE THE RADIO DOESN'T HAVE ONE. if frsky would have put one, I'm sure most of you would be showing it as a feature :) The same for the haptic??

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Kilrah wrote: For you it may be a deal breaker that the Taranis doesn't have one, but when the first pictures of the Horus came up there were 5-6 people saying they'd never buy it because it had one and they hated it - so it goes both ways, it's just personal preference ;)
HMM, If I remember they hated the type of encoder.. not the idea of having an encoder
And yes this is a "ridiculous detail" to me
Yes to you.. but you don't count.. you're biased anyway.. :mrgreen:
If your 9x didn't do voice, you'd certainly get a Taranis even without an encoder.
That is where you're wrong
If you need to take the decision to buy a radio or not on a rotary encoder, it's because you had little interest in it in the first place. Which is your case, you have no reason to buy a Taranis in the first place as your modded 9xs already do most of what it does.

That is where you are wrong again, sorry.. I am very interested on these radios.. But if I'm going to spend my money on another radio, I want better, with the options I like. And the next one has everything to be better, unless you guys, the openTX team don't support it of course. Then I would keep my 9x.
No problem with that, but it's just to show that the real "deal breaker" isn't the encoder, it's that you don't need it! The encoder is just the excuse against the "I want it anyway" impulse ;)
Can you stop getting it wrong please?? I would be on the race to buy the HORUS if it was coming out now.
Or like some of the guys on RCG with the backlight - they're just frustrated, and have run out of things to bash because they've been proven wrong on all other points ;)
Sad isn't it?? But I'm not bashing anything here. I'm just saying that there are more people that, like me, are waiting for the other radio..
It's a frsky radio too, so what's the problem?
Hmmmmm, maybe it won't have opentx in it? is that it? Is that why you're so frantic about this one?

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

jhsa wrote:I s that why you're so frantic about this one?
It's just that we know nothing at all about Horus.
We saw a draft design idea from 1 year ago, before the Taranis actually became the Taranis as it is now (was supposed to be much lower end), and that stops there. FrSky's intentions might have changed completely, Horus might not look at all like the picture that was posted, it might not have an encoder on it, it might run openTx or not... Nobody outside of FrSky knows, and that's if they have actually started working at all on it yet... so until we know it doesn't exist, and won't until announced.

i.e. it makes no sense planning ahead and expecting things at this point. You're taking for granted it will have an encoder - but maybe it won't. That's just what I want to warn about. What matters is the state of things TODAY. If you're happy with your 9x for another resonable length of time then you're sorted, forget about it for now, go fly, and when Horus is announced we can start again :)

The Taranis however is here, we know what we're getting, that it's good, and if someone looks for a radio today I'll be telling them about the Taranis. Either it suits them, or it doesn't. But saying there might be a new model in another year or so that nobody knows a thing about yet, that might have feature X,Y or not, that might suit them or not... makes no sense.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

I think that too much is getting misinterpreted in this thread - joy of written text.

Jhsa... Sometimes when you post, your passion and desire can come across as criticism. Don't think this is actually your intention at all!

I think that the developers and core team are also defensive of the radio. They have spent 6 months of hard work porting then firmware to it, forever little reward. They will as a result defend it, and do their best to promote it.

This sort of thread is bound to create heated debate. What I would suggest is we agree to disagree n sone points, then move on. Maybe have a beer and go flying?

:mrgreen::mrgreen:

...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Ummmm safer to go flying, and then have that beer. :-) unless of course you are flying a simulator, then feel free to cause chaos!
-Gohst

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Yup. You are right! Reverse my logic :-)

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

NOOOOOOO, you got it wrong again :roll:

I'm not criticizing the radio. I'm criticizing the comments about the encoder.. only because some people find it useless and ridiculous, it doesn't mean it is useless or ridiculous..
I'm sure that if this radio had one, the encoder wouldn't be ridiculous anymore.. THAT IS WHAT P'D ME OFF.. It's the attitude, if it doesn't have it then is not good.. :twisted:

My God, you make fun of the other guys with expensive Futabas, and then you behave like them?? :mrgreen:

I WANT A FRSKY RADIO. I want the other one I saw on the picture, it looks fantastic and it seems to have all I need. So maybe frsky should be reading this and the other threads as well because many people already said it as well..
Also the other radio looks like it would be a tray radio. Many people fly tray radios. I'm learning to fly with my fingers just in case HORUS is a tray radio.. That is how much I want it :mrgreen:

Know what, I made my point, so I'm outta here..
I wish I could block threads .. Then I wouldn't have to read ridiculous stuff :(

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Jhsa: See the er9x-128 thread, any chance you could do some testing to help keep the 9x alive ;)
You get stick scrolling!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Well, I have the encoder.. but yes I will of course Mike.. Sorry I didn't do it before, just having my plate a bit full at the moment as well as helping the guys at testing the openTX.. actually maybe using stick scroll and encoder at the same time will be a quite nice experience ;)
I'm just setting up a plane now. maybe the weather gets better later and I can fly it.. or at least try to :)
Then I have a little party here in my house and some friends from the club are coming.. Perhaps I could then show them the new stick scroll feature :D and how I update the radio and save my models.. They are Graupner and Futaba users..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

jhsa wrote:I'm sure that if this radio had one, the encoder wouldn't be ridiculous anymore.. THAT IS WHAT P'D ME OFF.. It's the attitude, if it doesn't have it then is not good.. :twisted:
But who said that? Certainly not me :)

I never said the encoder was ridiculous, I said I found considering presence or absence of an encoder as a deal breaker was ridiculous to me. In both ways.
If Taranis had an encoder I'd have personally enjoyed it, but there's none, and nevermind cause all the rest is so good anyway. I want a radio with voice, the Taranis has voice. I'd want an encoder, the Taranis doesn't have one. Well, encoder is a detail, the other aspects are much more important to me, so I'll get a Taranis anyway.
Same, if horus has an encoder or not won't change my life. If there's one I'll use it, if there's none I'll use the keys, touchscreen or whatever there could be. Even if I'd prefer if there was one.
jhsa wrote:My God, you make fun of the other guys with expensive Futabas, and then you behave like them?? :mrgreen:
You're misunderstanding again - I have nothing for or against the features themselves, and I'm certainly not saying someone should not have a feature because I don't have or need it. What I'm talking about is the people and the importance THEY put on some things.

It simply makes me laugh when I read comments like yours saying you won't buy a radio without encoder or the guys on rcgroups that say they won't buy a radio if it has one, because the priorities seem a little twisted, again to me. When I read that I think those guys should just get a DX6i then if the encoder is that important to them as to being a "deal breaker", because it implies the other aspects are worth close to 0 in their choice - it sounds like they could have the world's best radio (or other item) offered to them for $10, but they'd say no thanks, it doesn't have an encoder :D

Do what you want with it, ignore it if you don't like it, I'm not trying to make people change their minds, I'm only voicing my own take on the matter and having a good laugh! :D
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Uhm.

I did not think I made any comment regarding what you or anyone else may have said?

All I said was that people are misunderstanding each other, and gave reasons why.

Don't think there was anything for me to get wrong there?

Rob

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

@ Kilrah
yes you are trying to make people change their minds :D Nothing wrong with that though.
I never said the encoder was ridiculous,
And yes this is a "ridiculous detail" to me, just like the backlight color
And yes you did say it.

What is not important for you might be important for others.. don't forget that.. You fell in love with this radio, I didn't, it is as simple as that.. it doesn't have some features that i wanted for my next radio. I can only afford one so my choice at the moment is HORUS.

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

OK, then it's an English understanding issue.
jhsa wrote:
Kilrah wrote:And yes this is a "ridiculous detail" to me, just like the backlight color
What this meant is that having an encoder or not is a ridiculous detail, just like explained above.
Not the encoder itself.

And
jhsa wrote:I can only afford one so my choice at the moment is HORUS.
As we know nothing of what Horus will be at this point, it sounds a bit premature ;)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

yes, it is.. I can wait.. Not in a rush.. will enjoy both my 9x's.. probably some more mods to come.. who knows with a different processor and new gimbals I might even change my mind as it would do nearly the same as the others and it has already all the bells and whistles that I want. Add to it the ability of communicating with the voice module's SD Card from a computer and storage on the card, and the only thing that might make me buy another radio could be the double screen and the looks of the HORUS ;) :D

I think the 9x is not a good looking radio, but KST is even worse. with all those buttons. Argghhhh.. :D
Now HORUS is something else, if they keep to those prototypes. IT ROCKS. premature or not :D

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Please explain the encoder term being used? Is this the rotary encoder we've discussed and some have added to their 9x? Just trying to keep current on the terms used.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It's jsut about "a" rotary encoder being there for navigation, whichever variant of one. The Horus 3D rendering drafts showed a JR-style roller.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yep, not perfect but better than nothing :D

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Ok now I understand, thanks.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

MikeB wrote:Flaps30: For the voice, I had hoped someone might do a run of my board design:
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... 000#p38137
I don't have the time to do this. It uses all through hole components.
I was hoping that someone may have taken that up and offered the boards for sale.. I was (and still) up for this and I would be happy to pay up front for two boards at a premium rate to help funding a run of them for others.. Look at it as payback for what we have all gained through the life of the 8X
MikeB wrote:It is the pots I was most concerned about, the sticks seem fine really, but there have been a number of pot failures.
Hence why I am going to play with the hall effect devices. Now if a pot (any value) was available that will drop into the joystick assembly, that would save wrecking a pot from the 9x.

As for this scrolly rotary thing.. Looked at it and thought.. Custom PC, fiddly to fit.. Forget it.. Now. If it was a scroll 'wheel that came with a nice tray case that I could fit all the 9X parts that had a nice big speaker, combiined with an SD slot and the like .. Yup... That will do.. :)

Horus.. Hmm... If Frsky has sense (which I reckon they have) they would keep Horus on the drawing board for now, while concentrating on the product range improvements/replacements. Now where is that 6 channel telemetry RX with the RS232 port?
pafnutiy

Is The 9X Finished

Post by pafnutiy »

1 week away from a snowmobiling vacation but there isnt enough snow anywhere to ride so far...grrr. Well, the worst thing that could happen is having to go ATVing so that isnt so bad Twist my arm...lol
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

The 9x is the best thing that model flying has done for me. I have really enjoyed the mods, I truly have a radio today that I would have never afforded otherwise. So good that I have bought a new one and am ready to do all the modifications to it despite the new equipment that might be out there and available. If you build it, they will come.... If you give them the option to mod it and make it theirs, they will own it.

LTMNO.
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod

Return to “The Pickled Gnu (The Pub)”