Model transfer from JR transmitter

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
nicholgd

Model transfer from JR transmitter

Post by nicholgd »

Hi I hope this is the right place to post this. I’m looking forward to getting a Taranis in the near future.
One thing I am not looking forward to is transferring 25 models settings from my JR9X2 to the Taranis many of which are full house 4 servo wing V tails.
Not so much as which stick does what, there seems to be lots of guides for that, its more the trims and mixer curves. On some of my DS planks a click of trim makes a big difference.
Then I thought that there is a program to backup a 9X" to a PC via the trainer cord.
And the I wondered if anybody has made a program to down load the model memorys from a 9X2 to a PC and convert them into Taranis format. I bleive the trainer cord uses a serial interface.
Am I missing the spullcheck button ?
Geoff N

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: Model transfer from JR transmitter

Post by Rob Thomson »

Nothing I know of :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

We can up/download models to/from a 9x that runs one of the open firmware because WE wrote the firmware, and know how the data is stored. On a commercial radio there is no way to know it.
That is providing there is a way to actually read the memory out, which usually isn't the case.

The 9x doesn't send data on the trainer port, we modify it and solder a connector that allows reading/writing the processor's internal memory through the in-circuit programming lines.
nicholgd

Post by nicholgd »

I was hoping somebody had reverse engineered the serial data the JR series of radios uses via the buddy lead to transfer model data to another transmitter or to a PC using a special lead. Looks like I will have something to do on the coming dark winter nights.
I've just thought of another problem I will not be able to quickly switch between old and new transmitter to see any difference in control movement. .I will have to rebind each time I swap transmitter. 35Mg did have one or two good points.
Geoff N
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

IMO it would be a daunting task.
Even if you took the time to map which value corresponds to what setting in the radio, you'd then have to reverse-engineer each of the built-in mixes, and find a way to translate them into openTx "language" which uses a totally different logic...

I'd say it would probably take 100x longer than reprogramming the models from scratch - not to mention reprogramming will get you some openTx programming practice ;)

nicholgd

Post by nicholgd »

Yes it was wishful thinking.but you don't know till you ask.
Regarding trims are the Taranis and JR equivalent?
10units of down slevator on the JR would give the same movement to the elevator as 10 units of down on the Taranis?
Thanks for your patience
Geoff
Geoff N
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Under Taranis, you can set trim to increment as:

Fine, medium, expo etc.

Pretty sure you so find one that matches close enough to suit.

...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I had to move my JR pcm10 models over to my er9x radios and now the Taranis. The first move was a pain. Just pencil and paper and a chart I made up of all settings. Took awhile but I moved the critical ones first so I could fly and the others watching reruns on TV.

On aside note, my pcm10 memories are kept alive with a solder in coin cell, 1987 style, and I change the battery every 5 years jumping the old ones solder pads to keep the memories.
I use it with a Frsky DJT so it all live on.
I sure like the PC backup on my 9x TXs and the added SD card in the Taranis. My trusty pcm10 is back on the shelf again, too bad. The touch screen was and still is a great feature!
nicholgd

Post by nicholgd »

I think my real stumbling block is not being able to easily / quickly switch from the old TX to the Taranis to compare throws /movment. As the old TX is a JR 9X2 using a FrSyy module I will have to rebind each time .What a bind. Is there no DSC cord like the JRs use to bypass the bind?
Geoff N
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Why not just check/take a note of the settings before rebinding?

Not really that big a job.

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”