PPM output on channel 9

Programing help and example for all firmwares based on thus's th9 firmware.
randyo

PPM output on channel 9

Post by randyo »

first off:
9XR with Smarti board flashed to the ER9X firmware..

Problem: I need PPM output on channel 9 (going to DL V2 rx)

All the analog channels are mixed and working just fine but the IMU I am using requires the PPM input..

With eePe I see I can add PPM to channel 9.. Do I add each of the channels I am using or is there a general setup guide for configuring PPM on a specific channel.. All my searches simply come up with "PPM on trainer" port stuff so I am guessing this is something so simple even I should be able to do it but cant...

Thanks...

gohsthb

Re: PPM output on channel 9

Post by gohsthb »

Have you started by reading the manual? Available in a link to the right -->

-Gohst
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You can't find it because it has nothing to do with the radio, PPM on the channel 9 connector is a feature of your receiver.

Read your DL's user's manual on how to configure it to output PPM.
randyo

Post by randyo »

Kilrah wrote:You can't find it because it has nothing to do with the radio, PPM on the channel 9 connector is a feature of your receiver.

Read your DL's user's manual on how to configure it to output PPM.
been there done that... DL binds with PPM on or off depending on the jumper between the signal leads of CH7/8.. CH9 is outputs PPM if bound without the jumper and normal channel with jumper installed... and yes I did rebind the tx/rx in both modes to eliminate the possibility of any erratta in the users guide.. (not that any users guide ever had errors)

The system worked prior to the smartie parts/ ER9X firmware install was all and so figured that something feeding the tx was disturbed..

So apparently ER9X firmware has nothing to do with output on the radio channel 9 to the DL V2 transmitter..

thanks for your time to answer.. will just back the ER9X firmware out of the radio and go back to the rather clunky interface of the 9X radio or just buy a real radio and get away from all this foolishness... rather fly than fight control systems anyway..
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Ok so see number 12 under the model setup screen. http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... tup_1.2F12 Do you have more than 8 channels outputting? The default is to output the first 8 channels.
-Gohst

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yes, number of channels could matter. I'm unable to check the DL's manual as the link is down on their site, but maybe PPM fails to work if more than 8 channels are sent by the radio for example.

Anyway, if you have ER9X set to send 8 channels and have problems, you'll likely have problems with any other firmware or radio.

Other things to try would be changing the polarity and/or pulse duration. Decent modules should work with both polarities and duration shouldn't matter either, but with the experiences I've had with the "DragonCrash" we never know :)
Anyway everything should work fine provided you read the manual to know what your DL requires, and adjust ER9X to provide just that.

Note that due to the way the DL works you'll have to rebind your receiver every time you change anything in the PPM settings on the radio.

Sent via mobile
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

randyo wrote:
will just back the ER9X firmware out of the radio and go back to the rather clunky interface of the 9X radio or just buy a real radio and get away from all this foolishness... rather fly than fight control systems anyway..
I'd just like to say that most of the fools on this forum love the foolishness of this great fool system and wouldn't replace it with any REAL radio

Ahh, we only fight the "control systems", or in fact any other system, when we have no idea of what we're doing ;)

Now, if you want people to help you, you're very welcome, but please don't insult the the people that kindly spent thousands of hours of their free time to do all the programming and hardware mods, so we can enjoy one of the best systems available, if not the best.. And you know what? they do it FOR FREE..

This is a friendly forum and we would like to keep it like that.. ;)
Welcome to openRC forums ;) :)
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
randyo

Post by randyo »

I asked a question that was not answered in the manual and I referenced the only real information on the PPM and it pertained to the "Trainer" mode... (I can reference the material if needed)

Yet all I got back was a terse "RTFM" comment.. (was why I mentioned the section about what the manual had to say about PPM in the first place... I just figured that would key in that I had read the thing.. (also a couple variants floating around that have been notated by some knowledgeable users) So I did not set the tone of the conversation per sey...

The second reply offered a bit of help but I had already tried 10/12/14/16 channel outputs as well (which all require a rebind to the rx) and that had not worked.. Which took me back to my question if PPM had to be sent to the correct output channel in the first place.. I also injected what I had learned about the DL system and PPM (that FWIW, was not exactly common knowledge to many on how to turn PPM off/on with dragon link)..

Regardless.. everything worked until the update to er9x which by some strange conclusion in my own head, led me to think that I had fouled the config up somewhere... For which I have now learned could not be possible because that is in the tx/rx side, not ER9X stuff...

I have spent hours learning about PWM/PPM and how it works trying to get this issue resolved and mostly figured getting help was going to be a tad bit interesting.. certainly was not disappointed on that count..

anyway.. onward and upward.. I have a $1500 airplane with a $49 radio and countless hours of work in that I can not seem to get working again after updating said radio with a $40 board , some firmware and backlight.... if it works.... fix on it till it quits I say... Or if I cant fix it, it wont be fixable when I am done...
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I just can't understand why it worked with the stock fw as you say and it doesn't work after you flashed er9x, because the stock firmware on the 9XR is ER9X anyway :o HK modified it a bit though, God knows why. Maybe to say that they did it :D
Or maybe I'm not quite understanding your problem.. can you post your eeprom here? it might help if others see your settings..

About the hardware on the 9XR, well, no comments.. ;) :)
I have two 9x's, one of them for nearly 3 years, and never had a problem.
Maybe you want to look into the frsky Taranis radio..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm confused a bit here. I assume DL stands for Dragon Link?

Are you saying you have a 9XR and have fitted a SmartieParts board? I didn't think this was possible as the 9XR doesn't have the mounting holes to fix it in place.
Also, as Jhsa says, the 9XR standard firmware is er9x.

I'm guessing you have a 9X, not a 9XR. This then worked using it's stock firmware, and provided you with a CPPM (Combined PPM) stream on the channel 9 pin. You then flashed er9x, and now you find the CPPM stream is no longer appearing on the channel 9 pin.

On er9x, as well as setting the number of channels, you can also set the polarity (POS or NEG) of the PPM output, the frame length (default 22.5mS) and the width of the short, pulses in the PPM stream.

I'm not familiar with the DragonLink, does it specify what the PPM input stream should be?

If you haven't already tried it, I'd try changing the polarity of the PPM stream.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

ABBC3_OFFTOPIC
I don't know why people keep calling it CPPM (Combined PPM) ;)
Is PPM conbined with what? itself?
Maybe they mean conbined PWM? Then it should be called CPWM :) :P
Or just PPM because that's what it really is :mrgreen:

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I agree it should be PWM, but PPM has been in use for a long time.
I'm trying to be clear that you can have a single pulse on a pin for a servo, or the whole stream of pulses (CPPM/CPWM) on a pin.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I meant that CPPM is actually just PPM ;) :)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “er9x / gruvin9x / th9 based firmwares”