What values to set for telemetry?

1SQ

What values to set for telemetry?

Post by 1SQ »

I've been using my 9X radio with the open9x firmware plus FRsky DHT DIY Tx with the D8R-xp module, but dont know how to set the telemetry.

I have the A1 and X pins on the RX connected with a jumper to enable the internal voltage monitoring of the flight pack. D8r manual says "A1 (INTERNAL): MAX VOLTAGE 3.3V, DIVISION RATIO 4:1". What is that mean to me if i'm using 4s lipo? How do i set the values on my 9X so i can monitor and assign alarms to flight pack voltage?

What do i put on the following?

A1 CHANNEL 0.00 VOLTS? TO WHAT VOLTS?
RANGE? TO WHAT VALUE?
OFFSET? TO WHAT VALUE?
ALARM? TO WHAT VALUE?

pLS HELP.

gohsthb

Re: What values to set for telemetry?

Post by gohsthb »

First, I must be misunderstanding this. Are you powering your receiver directly from a 4s lipo? Fully charged that is 16.8 volts, the receiver is only rated for 10 volts!
So what I am going to assume you are doing is powering the Rx through a BEC. So you can only put 3.3V into either the A1 or A2 port. Any higher than that and you will need a voltage divider. That is what the "battery voltage sensor" from Frsky is, just a set of voltage dividers. What you can do is set A1 to 13.2. This comes from 3.3 * 4:1 = 13.2. So with a 4:1 divider you can read a voltage that is 4 times higher than the maximum input voltage (3.3).
Range = 13.2
offset = 0
Alarm = (set to whatever you want it to alarm at)

besides that there is always the manual.

-Gohst
1SQ

Post by 1SQ »

The receiver is powered thru the FC (KK2), according the the FRsky if A1 and X pins are jumped together it becomes a internal voltage monitoring vice external without the jumper. In my understanding of what was stated in the FRsky manual i dont need any other sensor hub to monitor RX/flight battery voltage. I will try the formula your posted.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The "internal" voltage monitor can only measure the receiver's internal voltage, i.e. what it's being supplied with, which is a constant, regulated 5V from the ESC's BEC in your case
So yes you CAN measure that, but it's useless.
If you want to measure the battery's voltage you need to connect the battery "externally", i.e use an FBVS-01, with a divider ratio of 6 (so that your 4s' battery's maximum voltage of 16.8V doesn't exceed the 3.3V measurement capability of the receiver).
Voltage range thus needs to be set to 6 * 3.3 = 19.8V.
1SQ

Post by 1SQ »

Ahhh ok, this makes it clear. I hate it buying things from China with minimal information. they should sub-contract documentation/publications to the US on all the products that comes out of that country.

Dthomson39

Post by Dthomson39 »

I have been playing with the simpler voltage sensor with my Taranis connected to the balance plug n a 3 cell lipo and while it works fine there seems to be a difference between the voltage measured using a multimeter and that shown on the display. Is there a way of adjusting the displayed voltage to better match the actual measured one? Also the voltage was initially lower than it ended up reading - does it take some time to calibrate itself before reading the final level?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Dthomson39 wrote:Is there a way of adjusting the displayed voltage to better match the actual measured one?
Yes, the Range setting for the A1 or A2 port your sensor is connected to.
Dthomson39 wrote: Also the voltage was initially lower than it ended up reading - does it take some time to calibrate itself before reading the final level?
No. Check your wiring, you might have a floating connection. Would explain the error too.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Is this the small sensor that just gives you a voltage as A2?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Return to “openTx for FrSky radios”