Tgy 9x Backlight display 'Off Centre' ?

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
BieneFlyer

Tgy 9x Backlight display 'Off Centre' ?

Post by BieneFlyer »

I installed a HK Blue backlight kit in my Tgy 9x some months ago.

I was never really 100% happy with the end result as the LCD Text display seemed to be a little to one side with the left side characters being almost off screen. Not that bad, but enough to be annoying.

I opened it up recently to install a smartieparts TelemetrEZ board & decided I'd re-center the backlight and LCD whilst I was in there.

The LCD itself appears to sit in it's own frame that is obviously centred as its part of the factory assembled Tx.

So I moved the actual backlight kit itself over a smidgeon. Surely that only moves the actual light source, not where the LCD characters appear?

Anyway, it's still the same.

Any ideas why my LCD appears off centre ?

Cheers, BF:)

ShowMaster

Re: Tgy 9x Backlight display 'Off Centre' ?

Post by ShowMaster »

What firmware are you using?
If there's no text missing I'm not sure it's a LCD issue.
BieneFlyer

Post by BieneFlyer »

I just flashed the latest er9x FrSky version today.

It's a physical issue rather than electronic. The whole LCD display needs to be moved a few mm's to the right as you look at it.

But the actual 9x's LCD is positioned in it's frame. Then, the HK Backlight itself sits on top of that, fixed with double sided tape.

I can't see how moving the actual HK Backlight could affect where the screen characters appear though ?

You can't move the actual LCD as it seems to sit in a frame that is part of the 9x itself.

So I'm not sure how I have ended up with an off center LCD display ?
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Please post a good photo of the condition. It may show something that's going on that will get some other replies.
I'm assuming your not missing any text.
MikeB writes er9x and maybe he can tell something that's going on.
It's only a guess but maybe there is a timing error in the LCD driver?
I agree that the display is pretty much locked in place.
BieneFlyer

Post by BieneFlyer »

Thanks Showmaster

I'll try and get a pic of it.

I just pulled it all apart again and yes, the actual LCD sits in its own 'frame' so that can't be out.

I moved the Hobby King backlight over a mm or two but the display still isn't quite centred.

It's only a hair, but enough to annoy someone like myself with terrible OCD !!! :)

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

There were lcd's for sale for about $11 US and others parting out 9x radios.
No idea if anyone lives in your area that you could get one from or compare with.
Yours is the first I've heard of and I e been around a few years as well as do some repair.
There were reports of displays loosing lines after a few years but even that's not been reported in the last year here.
The backlight addition can get off center but it doesn't effect the text framing and is easily fixed by taping it more centered.
The eesky9x FW has options for the standard or an upgraded display and that can cause trouble if miss selected but it won't run on the m64 processor so it's not a wrong FW load and er9x doesn't have any options for displays.
The HK 9XR uses a different display and a version of er9x and I don't know if it would run on the 9x.
That would be the only other thing that would be FW related?
After that its a hardware issue.
Hopefully you'll get some more posts with ideas about this.
The screen shot can help when you can.
Pretty smart minds here once you get their attention so hang in there.
SM
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It's all hardware, nothnig that the software can do. The LCD pixels are where they are on the display. Looking at my displays, they are very close on both sides.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
BieneFlyer

Post by BieneFlyer »

Thanks SM & Mike,

I'll get that pic as soon as I can. It's only off by a whisker, but enough to not 'look right' if you know what I mean.

On a positive note, I now have all the main mods done to this Tx. HK Blue Backlight, Smartieparts r 2.3 board & TelemetrEZ. Rhino LiPo Tx battery pack, FrSky Module, cool Blue control sticks!!

I nearly sold out for a DX8 & even bought an Aurora 9. But this Tx has out performed them all & given me a LOT of satisfaction from modding it myself.

Oh, just for everyone who may be interested:

The Smartieparts update screw/nut kit is AWESOME. Now my 9x is closing as tight as a clam shell.

I just popped one of the supplied nuts on the matching bolt, held the bolt with pliers whilst I heated the bolt with a soldering iron and a few secs later, the nut just melts down into the hole.

Stop there & let the plastic cool while you align everything (you have a few secs to work with the heated plastic) and done ! One captive nut, ready for the new hex bolt. Highly recommended... Thanks Steven !!!!
BieneFlyer

Post by BieneFlyer »

Oh, & er9x-FrSky firmware of course !!!!

Return to “Hardware”