Failsafe problems with X8R receiver

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
rcsoar

Failsafe problems with X8R receiver

Post by rcsoar »

I'm experiencing odd behaviour with failsafe, using the X8R receiver. Basically the rx can't make up its mind whether to get its failsafe settings from the rx or the tx.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Set the failsafe directly in the rx (by moving the controls and pressing the f/s button)
2. Test by switching off the tx. The servos should move to their f/s position.

This works around 50% of the time. The other 50%, the servos don't move, as if using 'last command hold' (as set on my tx).

Further investigation suggests that some of the time, the failsafe gets its settings from the X8R. At other times, it uses the failsafe settings transmitted from the Taranis. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to this behaviour. The only way I can get reliable F/S operation is to set failsafe both in the tx, and on the rx.

Can anyone reproduce this? The tx is in D16 mode (the default). Thanks.

MIke
http://rc-soar.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Taranis

Romolo
9x Developer

Re: Failsafe problems with X8R receiver

Post by Romolo »

in D16 mode the fail safe settings are supposed to be programmed by the radio.
Fs are transmitted to the receiver every 9 seconds, so if you do the power off test before radio fs setting get transmitted to the RX you will probably get RX ones other way TX ones.
The proper wa y to set failsafe in D16 mode is to set only from the radio.
rcsoar

Post by rcsoar »

Thanks Romolo, that's exactly what seems to be happening. I have disabled fs in the Rx and after the short delay, all is working fine.
keithw

Post by keithw »

Is it possible to set the FS on all 16 channels with just a couple of button presses on the TX instead of about 50 currently ?
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

Actually no but, failsafe position are normally a serious thing to be set:
in my idea you just need to set 4/5 channels

1) motor off
2) elevator up
3) rudder / ailerons for flat spin (depends on your model if it perform better right or left)

Fail safe should not save the model but people.
The model need to go flat spin in place.

That's my idea of safe, so normally there is really no need to set 16 channels

keithw

Post by keithw »

I would like elevator, 4 ailerons, 2 flaps and 2 spoilers (9 channels) to deploy as FS, and it would be nice to set it with only a couple of button presses, on some RXs only 1 button press is required. Maybe rcsoar was looking for the same thing as he flies 6 channel sailplanes and maybe bigger for all I know.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

keithw wrote:I would like elevator, 4 ailerons, 2 flaps and 2 spoilers (9 channels) to deploy as FS, and it would be nice to set it with only a couple of button presses, on some RXs only 1 button press is required. Maybe rcsoar was looking for the same thing as he flies 6 channel sailplanes and maybe bigger for all I know.
Setting up failsafe in the TX takes quite a bit of time, but it's very easy in Companion - for one model at a time - of course.
failsafe.png
keithw

Post by keithw »

Yes but how do you know what value to set the channels to in C9X i.e. you need the tx and the model working in order to judge where you want the surfaces to be.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

That depends on what you want it to do. The example above has full up elevator, zero throttle, and full right aileron and full left rudder. This will result in a total stalled airplane that will fall, rather than glide - or fly into someplace you don't want it.

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”