9XR Wont flash after some mod done

Hardware Support for the 9XR
Galessin

Re: 9XR Wont flash after some mod done

Post by Galessin »

digikey shipping is fast! first time I ever buy there and 1 hour after my purchase fedex already have the package.. estimation delivery is for to tomorrow... I will probably need help to set the mcu for the first time , fuse and thing like that. I never did that before

so tell me if I need anything special for setting up the mcu and flash it OUTSIDE the tx ( not solder into the board)

Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Galessin wrote:so tell me if I need anything special for setting up the mcu and flash it OUTSIDE the tx ( not solder into the board)
I have to ask why you would want to complicate matters by doing this?
Galessin

Post by Galessin »

Well I want to make sure the 128 work outside the tx because of all my previous problem with my "Not communicate but still functional" m64. So its the same problem happend I will have a least the firmware I want with FR SKY mod on it and a functional TX kind of...

I dont even know where to start I never flash a chip before ( except when I flash that m64, but its was already kinda set).

I read a little and understand you need to set a fuse command or something?

Can someone help me there with a step by step procedure of what it needed to do to get a factory chip to a working TX, please

thanks

Im waiting for the new chip, I will probably get in a hour or 2, the package is at my local postal office.
Galessin

Post by Galessin »

Well no answer... so I guess im gonna solder the new chip on the board and set the first time fuse there.

I took a picture of the board mcu remove , I dont know if the 9x is the same as 9xr but on the 9xr the 2 unused pin we use for reroute switch (41&42) on telemetry mod are link to the IC on the right...

anybody know WHY if they unused? Must be different from a 9x board I guess or I dont know why all fr sky mod guide solder to mcu if you got an alternative solder point at this IC (multiplexer)

PS: Yes I know the SCK pad are gone.. not a big prob
Galessin

Post by Galessin »

Here my progress so far :

Solder the new chip atmega128A , check all pin for short, then check all pin to whatever they should go... all is in order

Solder the new cpu was not so hard after all, a bridge a pin or two but use the wick and fix all that...

I hook the HK programmer and then pop a command windows and set the fuses:

All I have to do now is to compile the open9x firmware I want and try to flash it, I hope this will work well but now that I know I can set fuse im less worry.

Ill report soon

Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Looking good.. :)
Galessin

Post by Galessin »

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yay!

And cool splash!
Galessin

Post by Galessin »

So all my wiring was good.. my mod was good, I dont know what happend to the previous chip.. working but cannot flash... a real mystery.

Now I have to finish the FR Sky Mod, I wonder if I should cut the 2 trace of the Unused pin that go to the multiplexer or just keep them connected

Thanks for the splash, its was my previous one I made couple month ago but I cannot help I have to add a little M128 :)
Galessin

Post by Galessin »

If anyone want here my splash

Galessin

Post by Galessin »

I want to do the rest of the frsky TLL mod but its so confusing there like 3-4 ppl doing it differently and using all kind of resistor value, some use resistor at some place some dont.

I also want to hook a bluetooth module in the DJT I have couple of HB-01 TLL from hobbyking ( sold as miltiwii bluetooth) so im still wondering what is the best fr sky mod to get the on screen and also via bluetooth telemetry.
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Personally I don't like the Frsky TTL mod.. Too fiddly & easy to screw up and it has its disadvantages. I have an RS232 -> TTL converter for doing the telemetry modification. It is small and works with no problem. The 9XR will probably be different as to the PCB connections to the module bay. So you will have to look into that to see what you have to do, if anything.

This is the converter I used ----> Mini RS232 to TTL Converter Module

Follow the basic modification instructions given here ----> er9x.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/TelemetryMods.pdf

No idea about the Bluetooth thingy..
Galessin

Post by Galessin »

I went ahead and did the frsky mod on the module, I follow the kilrah tutorial with the 1K smd resistor and the 47 Ohm on RX line . module is done . There only one thing left is to hook the bluetooth as I understand you can split the TX from the FRSKY module to multiple chip but not the RX...

I know the tutorial say to put a 470 Ohm resistor on the RF board for the pin 2 ( TX from frsky) to protect.

How should I hook the bluetooth to the TX line? :

FRSKY TX ->bluetooth->470 Ohm-> MCU

or

FRSKY TX ->470 Ohm-> Bluetooth AND MCU

Or maybe a 470 Ohm before both the MCU and the bluetooth?

Also im wondering the bluetooth will be Inside the transmiter and not inside the frsky module , so the MCU MOSI will always be hook to the RX of the bluetooth is that will be a problem when I will flash the transmiter ?
Last edited by Galessin on Sat May 25, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

47 Ohm actually :)
Galessin wrote:FRSKY TX ->470 Ohm-> Bluetooth AND MCU
I'd do that one. I still need to try BT one day too...
Galessin

Post by Galessin »

- On the backplane, cut the traces that goes to ground on the 2nd pin. One on the "inside", and 2 on the module side!!
- Connect the 470 Ohm resistor to that pin
- Connect the 2 serial wires to that resistor, and to pin 5. I used a servo plug in order to be able to easily separate both case halves in case I need to do more work.

your tutorial say 470 Ohm...

I know there some confusion with the Ohm on the thread but I understand Its was the resistor INSIDE the module that is 47 Ohm

Ill wait for a confirmation for the resistor before going ahead
Last edited by Galessin on Sat May 25, 2013 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I initially thought I had put 470 Ohms everywhere. Then noticed they were actually 47 Ohms, so I edited... but it seems I forgot one place :)
Galessin

Post by Galessin »

Ok so the resistor INSIDE the module is also a 470 Ohm .. that will make sense on the photo we see a 47 Ohm on the resistor band

thanks for the confirmation

Now Any of you see a problem to have the powered bluetooth RX Hook to the MCU MOSI while flashing?

Return to “Turnigy 9XR radio”