9XR gimbal

Where to find parts? Refactoring your entire transmitter, new cases? Sticks etc..
skelator

9XR gimbal

Post by skelator »

Hobbyking will start selling 9XR parts soon, so we gonna have an option for gimbal, does anyone have 9XR and T9x can compare? will the 9Xr gimbal fit w/o any hardwork?
Build.screw.up.build.again.fly.crash.repeat

tilmanb

Re: 9XR gimbal

Post by tilmanb »

Are they better?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

No, but better than a defective 9x one :D
skelator

Post by skelator »

Kilrah wrote:No, but better than a defective 9x one :D
true hard to find stock replacement, if 9xr can fit i have 2 tx waiting for gimbal replacement :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
Build.screw.up.build.again.fly.crash.repeat
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

It looks like the gimbals that are used on the new (yet to be released) Frsky Taranis will drop into the 9X. We are being led to understand that the gimbals might be for sale as seperate units.

Of course all of this might not be the case. Could anyone verify this for us?

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I wonder how many spare anything parts will be extra this year considering the potential sales?
Like you, I hope we can purchase parts for repair or other projects.

HK I think promised the same thing early on? They haven't kept it and add to that no service stations were setup to make repairs. In their case another 9xr or 9x isn't to costly for parts.
A new Taranis won't be that inexpensive to purchase for spare parts.
Over the last year as a favor for club members, I've been the 9x repair and mod center and now the 9xr has been added. It may be the same way with Frsky? I don't want a business doing it full time. The pay is usually takeout food at the field or $2 a bottle wine ($7 wine if it's major) and it cuts into my flying time.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I specifically asked Eva at FrSky if the gimbals/pots will be available as spare parts, mentioning the 9x as a possible use for them. The answer I got was "Yes". No doubt they will want to use them for production Taranis units first, so we don't know when they will be available.

Talking of which, I've just received a pair of the production gimbals for fitting to the prototype Tx. They feel very nice, have ball bearings, adjustable stick length, and are very easy to convert between self-centering and friction. Just turn a screw to disable the self centering, then turn another to engage the friction. You even have a choice between ratchet friction and smooth friction, two friction units, choose which of two screws to engage the appropriate one. I'll be fitting them later today or tomorrow and will be able to report on the control performance/pots then. kilrah reported they we very good. He reported the pots are 60 degree pots, but are fitted with integral amplifiers to provide a full range output.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Kilrah just reminded me, since there are amplifiers built onto the pots, if they operate in the 'wrong' direction they will need to be corrected in software as you won't be ablt to just swap the + and - wires over. They are also designed for a system running from 3.3V, not the 5V of the 9X. The amplifier operation will need to be checked and I don't want to take mine apart to do that just yet.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

MikeB wrote:He reported the pots are 60 degree pots, but are fitted with integral amplifiers to provide a full range output.
Are NOT 60° pots ;)

And yes, while the mechanical compatibility with the 9X is perfect (drop-in) the electrical one isn't confirmed. The amps get the Taranis' 3V AVCC, so someone will need to test with 5V. I'm not motivated to do it just now ;)
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

It sounds like a lot of thought has gone into the stick units. Adding 3.3V regulators to the stick unit or organising a feed of 3.3 Volts from the 9X shouldn't be a big deal. Maybe the amps will work with 5 Volts, so it wouldn't be an issue.

I wonder if they also had in their thoughts the idea of replaceable stick ends with the intention of having ends with a switch or a push button? Now that would be real cool. :)

Return to “Hardware Mods”