Charging lipo without removing the battery?

Where to find parts? Refactoring your entire transmitter, new cases? Sticks etc..
alib

Charging lipo without removing the battery?

Post by alib »

Has anyone done a mod to be able to charge their lipo battery without having to remove it from the tx?
i guess you could rewire the balance port somewhere, but what about the main power wire?

Kilrah

Re: Charging lipo without removing the battery?

Post by Kilrah »

I've rewired the charge jack directly to the battery plug. But I still charge out of the radio just for safety.
kaos

Post by kaos »

I have. I am more convenience oriented. I have not opened up my batt lid for months.;)
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25#p9653

inside the Tx, there is main power cord to supply Tx, which splits off to give two mian wire for charging through the PS2 connector. the balancing 4 wires also goes to the PS2 connector make the 6 wires. I also changed the 2S lipo balancing connector to a 3S connector. so I can use either 3S or 2S. on the charging cord it is a 3S balancing plug. I also made a modded 3S -> 2S connector when I use 2S, just add this modded connector for 2S.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

I was so concerned about this when i started. I got the life 1500 battery and it seems to last forever. Well i got 2 of them and keep one in the case. Not concerned anymore but it would be a neat project
Helle

Post by Helle »

Hy,

yes I do, I use normal 3cells 2200mAh lipo
because current is only abut 100mA for the tx

I shorted the Diode so I can normal load without the balanzer and the charger can read back the voltage of the 3cells

and only 500mA charging current

because of the less current for the tx
and the less charging current no cell drift away
so I use the normal charging jacket

only one or two times a year I charge with a balanzer
I think thats ok

the other one th9x I use Sanyo NiMh eneloop cells
Helle

Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Helle wrote:I shorted the Diode so I can normal load without the balanzer and the charger can read back the voltage of the 3cells
When you short out the diode it would be worth your while to fit a fuse to save the tracks/traces inside the TX from burning out, should you short out the charge input socket.
Helle wrote:and only 500mA charging current
That is about what I use to charge my Low Self Discharge Vapextech Nimh pack. I would not suggest that anyone charges their Lipo at 2 or 3 Amps or so through the TX charging circuit.

The fuse I use is the one shown in the link. It is soldered into the place where the diode was. ----> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-1A-125V-F ... 2a19c2e675
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Yes to the fuse! Yes to low current charging. I solder the fuse across the diode do that if I short out the charge jack I can still have a path through the diode if I'm at the field.
As for shy one wants to limit the charge current and also fuse protect the charge path just look at the 9x wiring you can burn up if you short the jack with no fuse.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362245980.682123.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.

Return to “Hardware Mods”