2048/11ms mode on Orange TX module

Choosing an RF Module? What modules work? What is compatible with the 9x?
markran

2048/11ms mode on Orange TX module

Post by markran »

I have the new Orange DMS2 TX module ($30 from HobbyKing) and Open9X. All works well once I figured out to select PPM mode in the Model Setup screen and not DSM2 mode. The docs for the module say that it supports both 1024 22ms mode and the 2048/11ms mode which I've also seen confirmed by users online. How do I enable this? I saw the "PPM Frame" option on the Model Setup screen but it can only be reduced down to 12.5ms.

Any help is appreciated and thanks to the super-coders for the awesome firmware. I love ER/Open9x.

Kilrah

Re: 2048/11ms mode on Orange TX module

Post by Kilrah »

It supports the modes for the receivers that require them, but as the link between the radio and module is PPM it can't make use of their benefits.

The mode is autoselected by the module when binding, or chosen with the button at the back as described in the module doc when going from one receiver type to the other.

Sent via mobile
markran

Post by markran »

Ah. Okay, thanks for the info.

Does anyone know if the speed difference between 22ms mode and 11ms mode makes any noticeable difference in a 4 channel park flyer scenario? Does it feel like the plane is more responsive?
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Doubt it.

To be honest... I have never experienced the apparent locked in feeling that spektrum market.

End of the day... The servos move in milliseconds. It takes more time for the aircraft to respond than the servo. So not really sure it is anything more than marketing hype.

Rob

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
markran

Post by markran »

Rob,

I suspect you are correct. Yesterday I tried flying my 9x + Orange TX module with the PPM Frame on the Model Setup screen set to 12.5ms. It seems to work fine but I also can't perceive any difference in responsiveness in flight. If it seems to work, does anyone think leaving it at 12.5ms introduces any risk?

One test that is interesting, is to try it in a simulator. RealFlight has an adjustment parameter for servo latency in the advanced model setup area. I checked the Crack Yak and it was set to 12ms. I then tried setting it to .1ms for all servos (the minimum allowed) and could tell no difference. To be clear, this latency setting doesn't represent all the latency in the system. The USB driver, program logic and video rendering must have substantial additional latency. The video rendering alone will be at least 2 60fps frames because it's double buffered. I didn't yet try increasing the servo delay to see where the latency becomes perceivable. This would be an interesting test though the results are necessarily going to be subjective and perception will vary per human, model and type of flying. I have previously played around with changing another parameter to slow down overall "time" to assist in the early stages of learning an new 3D move (a very useful trick). It's interesting that slowing all of reality down by 15% or even 20% isn't really that noticeable (you can tell but it's not a big difference). For me, I have to get below 75% of 'real-time' to really have it feel substantially different. It doesn't start to feel like 'flying underwater' until under 60%.

I have a MIDI controller keyboard for music which doesn't generate any musical sounds itself. It connects to my computer which runs software that generates the sound of a piano, orchestra or just about any other conceivable sound. In the advanced settings of this software there is a way to adjust latency in milliseconds. While I don't know the latency of the whole system (the keyboard and MIDI input driver must have their own delays in addition to the audio), if the just audio generation latency itself stays under 18-20ms you can't sense any delay in pressing middle C and hearing the note. At 30ms you can tell and at 50ms it feels 'mushy'.

I will chalk all this up to being head faked by the marketroids at Spektrum.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

markran wrote:Yesterday I tried flying my 9x + Orange TX module with the PPM Frame on the Model Setup screen set to 12.5ms. It seems to work fine but I also can't perceive any difference in responsiveness in flight. If it seems to work, does anyone think leaving it at 12.5ms introduces any risk?
Be careful, the PPM frame needs to be long enough to encode all the channels you've set (the xCH setting). You need to account for approx. x * 2.1ms + 4.5ms sync pulse.
So 12.5ms would only be enough for 4CH. Don't forget to set the number of CH to 4, or you might experience control losses depending on stick positions.

Return to “RF MODULES”