Infrared module for JR compatible TX, including 9x

Where to find parts? Refactoring your entire transmitter, new cases? Sticks etc..
rperkins

Infrared module for JR compatible TX, including 9x

Post by rperkins »

Hello.
I created an Infrared module to be used with a JR module. Currently I have it working with my Syma S107g helicopter. The software utilizes a library that can have additional classes added to support more IR protocols. This is a work in progress. It works and I can fly my IR heli. I am posting now as I am about to clean my bench to start on something else and I have a bad habit of not getting back to things. I just want to put out what I have and see if there is any interest. More details can be provided. I want this whole thing to be GPL, even the hardware. For now just do a search on 'arduino on a breadboard' :)

Current limitations.
  • The range is slightly less than with the stock TX. Currently running 3 IR LED's in series from a 5v supply, no current limiting resistor
  • The channel is hard coded into the software. This can be fixed by having the software read a stick position at startup to determine which of the 2 channels to utilze. Fixed 3/12/13
    [*]The IR Led's are transmitting at all times , even if the throttle is at zero. Again need to update the software to check the throttle position, only flash IR led if non zero. Fixed 3/12/13
  • There are several variants of the S107 protocol. Some are no doubt clone products. This software is for the so called 32 bit version. ( 4 bytes of data, trim is the 4th byte )
features
  • Not dependent on the firmware in the 9x. utilizes a standard ppm signal. probably could would work with the stock firmware, although would have to check the channel order.
  • Could work in any JR compatible module slot, again checking or reworking the channel order.
  • programmable through the arduino interface.
  • Can be expanded to support more IR protocols. Utilizes the IRrc library. GPL V2.
  • The sketch uses code from diydrones blog Thinking Most everything on diydrones is GPL. this code snippet does not have a specific license attached to it.
  • Inexpensive. Have an idea to remove even the crystal. The original IR TX didnt need one.
    Reprogramable . The AVR is reprogramable. I utilized a 328 for the prototype but have plans on using something cheaper.Thinking < $10 in parts. A nice case - a little more.
EDIT - Removed downloadable code and moved it here.
http://www.randyperkins.com/index.php/irmodule

dont hesitate to post questions or interest in this project.

and the required eye candy :) in this case rough eye candy
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
Last edited by rperkins on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: Infrared module for JR compatible TX, including 9x

Post by Rob Thomson »

Nice work :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

thanks
looking at the pics again I forgot to mention the Ir LED's are driven by a transistor. the 328 AVR does not drive the LED's directly, it drives the transistor . The code is interrupt driven. Utilizes the ICP for the input, timers on the output. Also in the prototype I havent soldered wires to the programming lines of the AVR. I'd programmed this one when it was still on the breadboard.
JohnEdwa

Post by JohnEdwa »

I actually did this too a while back, but as I quickly moved away from the 3ch IR heli to more advanced stuff, never bothered to actually polish this to release.
Might as well link this here for future reference, and while the code 'just works', I am quite proud of the board I made.

Don't know if it actually works with a genuine Syma S107G, as I had a Skytech M3, and while it was otherwise identical, it did have 3 channels instead of just 2.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/johnedwa/projects/IR_RC
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Hello. Thanks for the reply.

I like your setup. Looks a lot better with a real case. The IR heli class wasnt the same as my S107g, so had to create another class. There are several variants of the S017 though.

What kind of range are you getting with your LED mount ? How are your LED's driven ? I test drove some LED's so hot that they actually got warm :). Didn't seem to increase the range a whole lot though ? I was wondering if the translucent blue plastic cover on the original tx somehow increased the effectiveness of the LED's output .

I really would like to get the cost of a finished, reprogramable module to $10. Not sure if there is much interest

Promix

Post by Promix »

looks great !
can you make it work for S026G also ? The protocol should be very close to S107.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Thanks for the reply
Promix wrote:looks great !
can you make it work for S026G also ? The protocol should be very close to S107.
That is the goal to have a module that can be extended by reprogramming it as new protocols are requested and decoded. More than one model (protocols) should be able to be stored on the module at the same time. Selection of the model could be made by holding the sticks in a certain position when turning on the TX.

I dont have a S026G. Can you fly a S026G with a S107G transmitter ? Specifically a S107G that the PCB of the helicopter reads S107R5. I would guess they are not exactly the same. Does it have 2 separate trims ?

I found this thread - but the data is incomplete for the S026G - or I didnt look good enough
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=47

What are you looking for ? Do you want to have help to build one yourself or are you looking for a finished module you can plug in and go ?

Here's a question:
How important is it to have a finished case ? is it worth $5 extra ?

This does seem to be a popular IR helicopter model. maybe it should be the next one added ?
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

er9x used to support ir protocol. :)
nice mod, like it.
Promix

Post by Promix »

That`s the way I did it. It is from this site and works great for the swift copter. It is a boost in control precision with the 9x now.
Hardware and software is from here:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 0187,d.d2k,

but only for the swift code.
I had an unused Flysky TM001 module flying around on my desk so I decided to use it as a housing. Works great.
LED head is from the old Swift TX and it is powered directly from my 9x 2S lipo pack. Range is about 10m indoor.
I can do all the hardware stuff but I can`t write any code in C++ :cry: , so I am looking for some one who can hack the S026G code. ;)
The little S026G Chinook fly`s very nice and stable, only the original TX is ...well, very poor.
Attachments
DSCF6670.JPG
DSCF6668.JPG
C4Vette

Post by C4Vette »

Nice little project!
I registered here after reading this topic. So yes, I'm interested. I would pay for a programmed chip for the s107g and the extra $5 for the box, well, that depends if you mean a expansion-box for the back of the 9x. Then yes, I would like that too.

Ed
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

wow. that's cool . Yes I mean a JR compatible box that the entire board is enclosed in.
I hope you're not in a huge hurry as this project is still in rough stage.
Your interest is a big motivator. Thanks
I guess this is the first question

There are several variants of the S107G. Some are called clones but it's really vague what consists of a clone. I have the variant S107R5. It is very common. Does the board on your S107 have markings like this ?
This is what I have tested and could get finished the quickest and get something out

EDIT - removed pic of pcb

Yahoo. got to upload a larger image size. Thanks
Last edited by rperkins on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C4Vette

Post by C4Vette »

That is exactly the board I have. In a topic on RCGroups.com about the Syma S107G it is said that heli's with this board are the original Syma. All others are clones/fakes. I'm convinced that is correct and have two of them.
No, I'm not in a hurry :)
Even still have to buy a 9X (minor detail...) but because I had already decided to buy one I started reading about mods/features and possibilities for flying different brands. Was awaiting the reactions on the new 9xr first. Being able to fly a s107g with the 9X would be fun!
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Sounds good. The biggest reason I want to fly the S107g with the 9x is to keep the controls the same. I would get confused as the 9x / mcpx has the rudder on the left stick and the s107g has the rudder on the right stick. I use mode 2. Just thought you may be on mode one. Let me know if you are on mode 1. One of the things I need to clean up is the channel order anyway. I can commit to having something to ship to you in a month. You can be the beta tester :) pricewise I'm thinking cover the parts and shipping. No more than $20 shipped. My biggest long term concern is range.
C4Vette

Post by C4Vette »

Mode-2 for me too. Europe is a bit of a mix but US is almost always mode-2, so easier to follow discussions.
Because I didn't want to have several TX's I was pleased to discover the use of modules in the 9X. The next thing on my list was being able to connect to a simulator. That should be no problem with the 9X. I'm going to try the wireless dongle for that (well, the dongle is still USB but it connects to a RX). And because the S107g still gives me joy and I'm still learning to blindly control the TX it would be ideal to be able to do all these things with just the 9X. It seems like a good investment being able to keep it using it if I decide to switch to another 'flying object'.
For range we should invest in finding out the facts about the IR LED's used in the original TX. What voltage is available in the module-slot? If it is low the three (?) LED's should be wired parallel with their own current limiting resistor. I suppose the LED's must be 'wide angle' and kind of 'high power', driving them with max allowable current. They are not constantly lit so I think they can be driven like that. Find out the forward voltage and calculate the resistor. Are you going to use a transistor to drive them? I think that is a 'must' to be able to switch enough current.
On RCGroups.com I found a schematic supposedly being a part of the original TX: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachme ... id=4297566
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

yea that schematic looks like what the original tx had that I tore apart. It had a current limiting resistor and the value was real low. Yes I used a transistor to drive the 3 IR led's in series. I think I just used a 2n2222a. didnt use a current limiting resistor with the 5v supply. I got these IR LED's. looks like they only have a 22 degree angle . I made my choice based on current. Probably shoulda paid more attention to the angle :(
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-st ... TER/1.html I was reading this earlier today. looks promising. http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/USB ... ransmitter

I ordered a couple JR cases. I only had one left. This time couldnt get them with free shipping as that source no longer carries them. just over $8 apiece. Played with making a simple case, or at least a cover out of styrene. First attempt wasnt very good. This is low on my priority list. http://www.ebay.com/itm/360539165303

is it just me or is the font size messed up on this thread, when compared to other threads? It looked weird at work on my 7" android tablet, now it looks weird here at home. Wondering if posting that large image of the pcb messed things up. It was only recently that the dimensions of pics were increased here. UPDATE - it wanst the pic. now I think it is the extra long url from an earlier post in this thread
Last edited by rperkins on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

I got caught up talking about the voltages in this other thread. probably shoulda kept it all together :)
so with the Vbat and a constant current circuit we could drive maybe 1/2 dozen IR LED's :mrgreen:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1967#p36327
C4Vette

Post by C4Vette »

To be honest, I'm also considering another route: http://www.deltang.co.uk/irheli.htm
Replace the IR-receiver with a 0.23 gram DSM2 RX.
This also makes it possible to keep using the 9X and solve all the IR-problems like "line of site" and light sources like the sun.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

That's true. Ya still cant fly the S107G outside very well with IR.

That site had my interest before the homemade DSM route . It wasnt even the money, didnt see schematics or source code, which I enjoy. The S107G would be fine with the little bit of extra weight, IMHO I made a Frankenstein S107G with a standard LIPO battery (no internal charging circuit), removed diode on PCB and charge it through my LIPO charger, removed nose weight, replaced tail motor with mcpx tail motor, lengthened tail boom, shortened main shaft. It was a fun weekend project. It's not as rough on my living room walls as the MCPX :) The tail motor broke off where it was glued , havent gotten back to it.

Whatever you decide works for me. post back with your results if you go the DSM route, I'd like to see that mod. If you end up wanting to go IR, just PM me. thanks for your interest in any event .
jbeebo

Post by jbeebo »

regarding voltages, you could always use a switching boost regulator to give enough potential to drive more LEDs. The current draw thru a bunch in series is low, but you do need a higher voltage...
C4Vette

Post by C4Vette »

Decided against the DSM route for now. Money is a concern because buying a TX-module plus the RX-thingy for the s107 is 'a bit' overkill for a $15,- heli.
In the meanwhile my 9X has arrived (yeahhhh, my first real TX) and a v911 is on its way for my first 4-channel experience. New dilemma: I'm going to use mode-2 but the s107 is mode-4, so could I mod the s107-TX to mode-2, hmmm. So I have renewed interest in your project to be able to use my new 9X (in mode-2) for de s107. Because I'm going to mod the 9X for haptic, sound, BL, USB and what more, I thought about maybe integrating your IR-project INTO the 9X. A small switch on the back above the TX-module for routing PPM and the LED's in the top of its case.
How about buying a completed circuit-board from you without the case?
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Glad you got your TX. I havent done any work with this lately. I dont see why you couldnt mount it internally. I've seen where people have done the DSM mod that way. You could just get one of those small arduino clone boards, add a transistor and there ya go.
Take the sketch I posted, the arduiono IDE and modify it to suit. The inside of the 9x has more room than the module bay . :) Whether there is room for all the mods you listed is beyond me. I've only added the backlight kit with a transistor. Well and I added a pot to adjust the brightness of the backlight.
The 9x can move the channels around so the mode thing isnt an issue.

BTW, the link I posted to the ebay seller offering the module cases. I dont recommend them .
  • Bought and paid for 2 cases
  • shipped out after 3-5 days
  • opened box and only 1 case inside. No packing list nor previous contact with seller regarding shipment
  • Called seller on the phone number on package begging for nothing less than 5 star feedback
  • Person on phone said they could do nothing. sent me to ebay website to start process
  • did get fast response. Person said other case was damaged and backordered. offered refund.
  • I responded sending out a short order with no previous backorder notice and no packing slip is not going to get you any return business
  • She agreed and quickly processed my refund
But I did get one case. Seems like they are a little harder to find nowadays. Looks like you dont want the case. Thats fine.

Could you put your location in your profile or let me know what it is somehow. I will figure shipping and let you know. I got my website all setup. It will be easy to add a product link for you. It will still be several weeks for me to finish it.

I am wanting to move the code so that it will run off an M8 MCU, with a 12mhz crystal, as that is what is in the avrprogrammer board. That is where most of the work for me is. Short of doing that I would have to prototype another
board that uses the 328m with 16mhz crystal. I'd rather spend my time moving the code forward. I will have some time to work on this. I'm about to be sold out of programmers for a month.

the fastest thing to take this to the next level for your current plan is this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ver-Promini ... 41708615cf
You can buy that yourself and I clean up my sketch and make a .eepm model that you can load into your 9x. That wouldnt take me long at all. Just let me know when you order your mini arduino

PS - could promix or a moderator edit his post with the long url. It's killing the layout. the fonts are too small. anyone else see that on this thread ?
C4Vette

Post by C4Vette »

Haha, your going a little fast for me now :mrgreen:
Let me see, the easiest one first: Yes, the layout of the screen is way to large. On my iPad that is a problem.
Then from the top down:
What do I need the arduino for? Do I need to program the module myself. Uhh, never done that. I was under the opinion you would have it al ready for use. Maybe my mistake, English is not my native language. But I'm not setup for doing anything with arduino, sorry. I'm not afraid of standard components and some solder work. Have done that lots of times but I'm no programmer. Ah, after reading your post again I understand it is for saving time but I can wait.
So now you have one module case short and I don't need one. One problem less I guess.
I've edited my profile for location.
There's no hurry, I'm first going to mod the 9X and install Open9x. Then play with a simulator and by then the v911 will be here 8-) About those mods, you wrote about a pot for the BL. Did you put that on the base of the transistor. I was planning to use a FET (bs170), but a transistor will give the oppotunity to regulate current! Do you remember what components you used and how you did it (I do know where and how to connect it).
C4Vette

Post by C4Vette »

Out of interest did a little reading and if I understand correctly the mentioned Promini is an atmega328 on a board being a replacement for the DIL-type you are using now. The transistor you talked about must be for driving the LED's. Would a FET not be handier (less resistors and direct connection to the atmega) for this. And you telling me you're out of 'programmers' must be the USB-interface for connecting your PC to the atmega. Ok, I'm not fast but still learning everyday!
In my plan of building it into the 9X housing I won't even need the 5V regulator for the atmega because one of the mods I've planned is replacing the 78L05 on the back-board for a beefier 7805.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Yes a fet probably would have been better to drive the IR Led's. The programmers are what I have been spending my 'hobby time' on. See my signature. What I was meaning is that I will have some time to devote to this.
My long term plan is to repurpose use the programmer's pcb for the IR project . It is the least expensive route, but the code needss updated to work with it (m8 @ 12mhz )

Buying the minipro might be a better fit for an internal option. Like you said, you dont even Need a voltage regulator. But I understand if that is something you arent interested in doing. It wouldnt be so much programming, as it would be having the ability to upload newer firmware to the IR module. For example if there is a bug in the firmware, or if you wanted to add support for additional IR helicopters/devices. Being able to update the module is important in this early stage. You are the beta tester :)

How about you get all the options you want installed in your tx then see if you have room for an internal IR module ?

I dont remember the values I used for the backlight mod. Let me know if this link doesnt work
picture of led backlight mod
C4Vette

Post by C4Vette »

Whow, now you've done it! As an old-time electronics enthousiast I could not resist finding out what all that Arduino stuf is about and bought the mentioned board complete with an USB-cable with integrated converter. Ohoh, now I'm getting really involved I guess :ugeek: Just kidding of course, I really like this.
After thinking it over I figured it out before your last post that it: a> has a smaller footprint, and b> is handy to flash updates. And you just confirmed that, thanks.
The order will take a while because China webshops are closed until the 18th and then it will take another three to four weeks to arrive at my door. That gives us lots of time so I can get used to my new TX and you can have a look at the code. Have you thought about the A- or B-channel? And I saw in JohnEdwa's code he check's throttle is 0 before starting transmitting. That's a good one! I will use a FET (BS170) because I have a few of them already bought for BL and haptic mods for the 9X. Will have to find out which output pin you are using.
Had a look at the picture with the BL-mod: looks like the pot is on the emittor, right? So it regulates the full current to the LED's? Should there not be a second resistor in series to limit MaxCurrent then? When my parts come in I will start experimenting with this.
If I can find usable IR-LED's you don't have to ship anything anymore! Will LED's from a TV or other remote work? The trouble is that the specs are unknown then. Maybe steal them from the original Syma-TX. Don't like that too much.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Ha. Looks like we got another one hooked :) I've learned a lot from my arduino. I'm glad your going this route.

My original post covered 2 issues you mentioned. the first is real easy to fix. JohnEdward was probably one of the people that helped me get this far. The channel thing may need to have a couple conditions like
only checking the stick positions the first 5 seconds, realizing that some sticks dont go all the way down to zero or up to the max. Then if the channel choice is written to the eeprom, it will be there for the next time the module
boots up. I was also thinking of using this method to allow selection of different IR protocols, if any additional ones get included. all thinking so far, no action :)

Yes The IR Led's are transmitting at all times , even if the throttle is at zero. need to update the software to check the throttle position, only flash IR led if non zero.
Yes The channel is hard coded into the software. This can be fixed by having the software read a stick position at startup to determine which of the 2 channels to utilze.
EDIT- fixed 3/12/13

I talked about my IR selection a few posts back

With my backlight mod it looks like the emitter is grounded, the base connects to the output pin of the MCU thru a 3.3k resister in series. , the collector goes through the trim pot, out the white wire
to the LEd backlight, then the leaves the backlight with the white wire back to ground. My circuit design is very weak. I learned electronics nearly 30 years ago in high school. repaired pagers for 5 years,
and nothing for the last 20+. Just got back into it last year.

Yes the Chinese new year caught me by surprise last year when I ordered my 9x from hobbyking. This year , although I'm waiting for stuff, I'm Ok with it. Everyone deserves a good holiday so 'Happy Chinese New Year. to all :)
Last edited by rperkins on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C4Vette

Post by C4Vette »

Hi Randy,

/* OffTopic
First mod is done: replaced the 78L05 on the switchboard for a 7805. Going from a max. of 100 mA to 1 Amp for the several mods like IR and haptic.
*/

This weekend had a look at your code and did not understand much of it. Started to read about Arduino and followed some YouTube tutorials. Yes, I'm hooked and whats more, my 13 year old son asked me to order a UNO for him. I did and loaned him my breadboard with some led's and other components and gave him a multimeter. He will probably have his own code running before I will understand any of it, :lol: .

Back to your code: I installed "Arduino 1.0.3" and setup the library for your <s107_r5.h>. This seems OK but when I check the code with "Sketch->Verify / Compile" I see errors starting with:

Code: Select all

In file included from S107Demo2.ino:12:
s107_r5.h:57: error: expected class-name before '{' token
s107_r5.h:65: error: 'uint8_t' has not been declared
s107_r5.h:75: error: 'uint8_t' has not been declared
etc
Pointing to the part:

Code: Select all

class s107_r5 : public IRrc
{   
public:
Guess this has to do with the IRrc-library, but downloaded that too. Any ideas about what I'm doing wrong?

Ed
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Due to the crazy font size I'm continuing in a new thread. you can find it here viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2788
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Return to “Hardware Mods”