Bluetooth module?

Where to find parts? Refactoring your entire transmitter, new cases? Sticks etc..
mwm

Bluetooth module?

Post by mwm »

I noticed that someone had developed an IR module for use with the 9x. The manufacturers are starting to switch their more upscale toys to Bluetooth, controlled by Android or iOS apps. While a lot of interesting stuff can be done with those, most of them would be improved by having a real controller. GIven the range limitations of bluetooth, it's almost all going to be indoor or parkflyer type things.

For examples of this kind of thing, start with the sphero. They don't sell it as an RC item, but in one mode it's basically an RC ball. They are also doing the most with having a real computer as the controller. I'd love to drive one with one stick for direction (their standard interface) and one for the color wheel.

Some of the gadget companies like iSuper and BeeWi are branching out into RC devices.

Some of the toy companies (Sliverlit, Desk Pets, Double Eagle and JMT) are getting into the game.

Basically, I was wondering if one of the existing BT mods used for telemetry might be adopted to controlling one of these things, given the appropriate software. Or are the connections simply wrong?

kaos

Re: Bluetooth module?

Post by kaos »

AFAIK, the current BT only transmit telemetry data out. Need someone to write the code to do that.
tux75at

Post by tux75at »

Shouldnt be a problem to implement, the only thing which is needed and which is most likely different for each toy, is the used protokoll.
As most BT implementations use a serial interface, you need a free serial interface on the TX, with telemetry mod you are out of them.

Even for that are some solutions possible ...
kaos

Post by kaos »

that is why you need SKY9x board. ;)
tux75at

Post by tux75at »

Nahh, depends how you want to implement, but feeding the ppm signal to an little atmega and doing the conversion stuff for BT and transmitting it can work good also.
I dont think these RC toys need real fast communication. I think it might even be better then using a phone as controller.

You could plug such a device to the trainer output also ... simple :)

Return to “Hardware Mods”