Turnigy 9XR General

Hardware Support for the 9XR
gohsthb

Re: Turnigy 9XR

Post by gohsthb »

The antenna is probably hidden in that handle.
-Gohst

suchislife

Post by suchislife »

Is that a handle or an lcd?

9xr is module based, so the antenna would be on the module.
wallaguest1

Post by wallaguest1 »

i am not that sure, i think they will put some kind of switch to use internal antenna or module based antenna,
otherwise i see no reason to put such a bag style handle on a damn transmitter, making it bulky big and ugly,
to me looks like they are trying to imitate what jeti did to their transmitters, http://rcplaneresource.com/wp-content/u ... _DC_16.jpg

some people think its a top LCD but judging the image i dont think it is.
BrettAltea

Post by BrettAltea »

Thought I'd put in this forum all that was so far known of the upcoming Turnigy 9XR.

These are some of the facts about the Turnigy 9XR which is due to go into production in August :). All quotes are from Anthony Hand on the HK forum:
The 9XR is designed and built completely in-house (my back pocket reminds me of this every day).
It will use the atmega chip and can be flashed with your existing customised software. In fact, it comes standard with a similar rom to one you have mentioned.
The 9XR has a pin-out in the battery compartment for easier flashing without needing to unscrew the case.
We are taking care of the customers that like to fiddle, don't worry about that.
Want a 433 LR module for the new 9XR?
You're going to be a happy chappy.....
Backlight is standard
Has inbuilt and module based antenna system
Button config makes sense
Spare parts avail from the start
Switch and pot quality far better than previous version.
The 9XR will be $50.00 and targeted at the standard user that likes flying, not fiddling with his radio or looking for a shady spot to see his LCD.
Would be good if you could make them already flashed with the frsky 2.4 telementry already installed
We're working with them on a module for the 9XR.
No sliders, darn!
I guess we've got an addition for v2 already.
I saw T2 plastics today, they looked good but work was still needed.
I would say we're 3 months out from release. (A GUESS!) (17th April was when this was posted)
Hi Guys,
I saw some of the finished plastics today, very nice indeed.

*Hrmm, I wonder if we can release a bling bling gold limited edition version.
the 9XR has an inbuilt antenna and comes with a DSMX/DSM2 module which uses the inbuilt antenna. You can also plug your own JR module in and use an external antenna.
We have given the 3D files of the module antenna system to some vendors like ImmersionRC so they can make modules for the radio 433Mhz etc.
DSMX Rx, of course they will be well priced! (replying to a question whether HK will stock DSMX receivers)
Today I was talking with the lead engineer on the project and he said that tomorrow he should have the final version of the plastics from the injection factory. Once he gets them he will begin final test fit and QC before production.
He also said that mass production starts in August, but I'm not going to promise you that.

All pricing is still on track and it's still totally open source and module based.

Anthony.
9XR Antenna. Supposedly better quality that gives longer range.

I assume from the open source comment that it will be using an open source firmware - er9x?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

vlcsnap-2012-09-10-18h16m57s11.png

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

it looks like it has the same display, the buttons look like being in the same place as the one we have, so, maybe the board could even be the same??
They could have only done some of the mods for us.. if the antenna is inside the handle, it won't be modular.. that's a big step backwards :(
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
C.João

Post by C.João »

focus on what is really important. all parts will be available as spares :D

part from that I don't really thing its really worth it. at least until it comes out and gets tested... I just don't like the crome parts...
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

it looks like an handbag with sticks :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Keith

Post by Keith »

jhsa wrote:it looks like an handbag with sticks :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Maybe that's the look some flyer's want...?

An add-on lippy holder might be good...?
cr4wler

Post by cr4wler »

Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

jhsa wrote:it looks like an handbag with sticks :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
And this is a problem! :roll:

Not sure about a lippy holder. I do my lippy and perfume spray while I'm driving the car. :) ...

So. It looks like it won't be long before we will have to bin our outdated and soon to be no longer produced 9X's .. All the work that has gone into the software and hardware additions to the 9X will be redundant. So what will happen I wonder. Is all going to be lost in a couple of years? Will our investment in time and money be for nothing? Where will we get spares for the TX on custom items that will no longer be available?

So many questions..
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

The 9x will probably still be produced.

Flysky make them - by turnigy :)

But i think we will see a range of new competing models that will need hacking!
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Flaps 30 wrote:All the work that has gone into the software and hardware additions to the 9X will be redundant. So what will happen I wonder. Is all going to be lost in a couple of years? Will our investment in time and money be for nothing? Where will we get spares for the TX on custom items that will no longer be available?
The 9XR has been said from the beginning to be "compatible with the existing firmwares", and will be supplied with a programming connector already installed.

IMO it's the opposite. It will be all that much easier for people to enjoy the benefits of an excellent firmware without having to dive in and take the soldering iron out.
Of course some of the hardware mods will be redundant, but mostly the ones that were meant to "fix" the 9x's weaknesses. If the 9XR is able to run the firmwares out of the box, then its hardware is close enough to accept the mods that provide added functionality (voice, rotary encoder,...).
I doubt the 9x will last long anymore besides clearing the existing stocks. Flysky have been producing it for about 4-5 years now? Time to move on I think. HK were the ones who were selling it the cheapest, while others were around $85. They won't be selling so many anymore once the better 9XR is out at $50.
Flysky have already shown the successor too.

Then there are the frsky radios that will also get their porting of the firmware(s?) with all the "high-end" features without any hardware hacking needed...
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I will keep my 9x's, that's for sure.. this radio is a legend already.. no other cheap radio ever achieved what this radio already did.. also many known brand radios are still miles behind it.. some people will not buy another radio and still use the 9x. so I think the developers will still continue supporting the FW's.. at least I hope they do..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
dvogonen

Re: Sv: Turnigy 9XR

Post by dvogonen »

As far as I have understood HobbyKing are shooting for binary compatibility between the new transmitter and 9x. If not, the open source firmware they claim will be available has to be modified. Accomplishing total compatibility in a computer system is harder than it sounds. Not only the processor, but also components like gimbal pots etc have to work identically.
Regardless to if they shoot for total compatibility or are modifying e.g. ER9x, one would think that the testing effort would have left traces in this forum. There is really no other place to discuss software issues for the 9x. But as far as I have seen, no one seems to know anything. This is in stark contrast to FrSky where the ongoing effort to provide open source software from day one is very public in this forum. Kind of makes you wonder...
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The source for the different 9x firmwares is available to anyone - They probably just grabbed one of them and silently done whatever is needed, if something is needed.
They've really been holding information as much as possible on this one, probably didn't want the competitors to see what they were doing.

At this point there's only one hint of a hardware difference, it's the dual trainer port. That's the thing that would require some additions to the software. All the rest seems identical.

I wouldn't even be surprised if they didn't make a single change to the software (like with the OpenLRS modules they jsut started selling, which come with the default open-source firmware that's barely useable as is), and just tell buyers to upgrade once the community has developed the missing functions if they want them.
dvogonen

Post by dvogonen »

Let us hope that the lack of information leaks does not indicate a total lack of testing. I guess no one wants to see a repetition of the Orange RX module failure of late.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I do hope the multiple delays do involve more testing indeed! They just added 10 more days to the estimate today again.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I've slowly migrated from the stock 9x while still flying one. The sky2 and then Sky3 boards have greatly improved on the almost plug and play features we all wished for several years ago from any radio. They've become my main radios now.
Thanks to the great firmware writers here I don't think I'm lacking in any features I've wished for. My wish list is empty?

The other limiting factor of a $36 tx when I bought several, is the sticks and the pots.
As soon as my Aurora9 sticks arrive and get installed, I'll know if this sky3 tx will be the keeper!
I'll probably sell/trade/give my various versions of modified er9x TXs to new flyers or club members that are needy, keeping the sky board ones.
The good news is with all the knowledge I've gained on the forum I can always build up another er9x anytime. The 9x tx will still be around for years to come in some eBay listing or swap tables I'm sure.

I'm sure many of us will need room so we can try each new tx coming out because we can ha ha.
The worry about these new radios is the switch placements and types as well as the stick and pot quality?
Of course if there are replacement parts that a big plus.
More plug and play features will be nice but that I'm afraid will stifle progress on all the technical and soldering knowledge many have gained. Most of us that hung in here are able to troubleshoot and repair, and solder our radios where a year ago many didn't even own a meter or an iron. Hopefully some features will still have to be added by us and we can still enjoy sharing our ideas here.
But...
Let's face it, there's nothing like the new TX smell and stick feeling.
My motto is, "What I don't spend on toys while I'm alive, my kids will when gone....".
SM
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

http://turnigy9xr.com/

Check it out. Must really be going to release the radio soon.

Ball bearing gimbals!
dvogonen

Re: Sv: Turnigy 9XR

Post by dvogonen »

They also confirm the price they set up as target. The radio will cost 50 $.
For this you get what seems to be a clone of FlySky 9x, but with backlight, pre installed programming port, double trainer ports, ball bearing gimballs, replaceable face plates in different colors and spare part availability.

These will be selling like mad.
I didn't think I would be getting one, but I am pretty sure I will for the sake of the improved sticks.

HK are very, very specific that open software will run on the transmitter and indicate that they will be "certifying" software for the radio. It comes with their own firmware, no mention of the origin of that one, only that it has been made by the community over 6 years...

I guess that this forum will be quite busy a couple of months from now :-)
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Right. It seems that they are in the right way!
Bertrand.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Hopefully the gimbals will fit the 9x.. or at least the pots.. and I hope that the LCD is equal as well ;)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

There must be a HK beta tester among us?
Maybe more info will be leaked.
Free advertising from rumors.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Please add a location to your profile. Thank You
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The info will be here I guess.. there's also a forum

http://www.turnigy9xr.com/

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

jhsa wrote:The info will be here I guess.. there's also a forum

http://www.turnigy9xr.com/
Thanks.
You'd think if they have all the engineers and beta testers, and 6 years of experience as well as many systems to copy, it would be on the market now!
Also missing the Holliday buying season as well?
This group could have designed, tested it, and had it on the market much sooner if they had asked I'll bet.
Busy 2013 for RC it would seem.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Please add a location to your profile. Thank You
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

jhsa wrote:Hopefully the gimbals will fit the 9x.. or at least the pots.. and I hope that the LCD is equal as well ;)
My thought exactly. I'd buy one just for the gimbals if they would swap out. But if I wait until somebody tries it and confirms that it works it might be months before they are available again -- Especially with Chinese New Year in early Feb -- everything gets bogged down for months after that. I also wondered if the sky9x board would fit.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

I'm starting to think that Anthony is just an egomaniac getting his kicks watching scads of folks pine over a radio that he holds all the strings on. He teases and teases .. it's really put me off to be honest.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think it will sell very well..
And not needed to buy the radio for the gimbals.. they promised spare parts from day 1..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

I mailed them today to ask if they could provide some samples for us to get the code working on. - no answer yet :)
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

Return to “Turnigy 9XR radio”