6 channel dsm2 range issue

Like DSM2/DSMX? Want to mod your radio to support it? Post your messages here!
cloudflying

6 channel dsm2 range issue

Post by cloudflying »

Ok so I recently (with the help of all you wonderful people :p ) installed the mlp4dsm module into my 9x running er9x. Now I can fly my ultra micro planes/helis without an issue. I can literally fly my little corsair 100+ feet up and as far out as I can possibly see without a single issue. Now when I connect to a orange rx 610 I get into trouble beyond 20 or so feet. It will bind up just fine, control all surfaces and throttle. When I get out beyond 20 feet, I lose all control.

I am running the latest er9x firmware with my smartieparts board installed and my led back light. There is no difference if I remove the stock flysky module or leave it in. I have tried different receivers with the same result. When I use the stock module/8 channel flysky receiver, I have no issues. I have read the wiki, the forums and everything else and cannot find any info.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is the mlp4dsm module not enough power for the 6 channel receiver? Please er9x gurus, your my only hope

Clivew

Re: 6 channel dsm2 range issue

Post by Clivew »

Deaf orange perhaps ;)
Have you tried this receiver with a different transmitter?
That does sound like an RF issue to me, rather than
anything else...maybe

Clive
Last edited by Clivew on Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
cloudflying

Post by cloudflying »

Clivew wrote:Deaf orange perhaps ;)
Have you tried this receiver with a different transmitter?

Clive
Yes, worked perfectly on my dx6i. I also tried 2 other receivers with the same result. There is always a chance that I somehow managed to damage all 3 in swapping out receivers and all that but I am unsure if thats the cause..
Clivew

Post by Clivew »

That does sound odd, I can't think of any reason why range should be affected by anything other
than the RF link :?

Clive
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Could be why it's a LP4Dsm, not a HP6DSM. If it works with micros and things, then that most likely is your answer. Even though it has 6ch. It's NOT a 6ch tx module.

The dsmx module I am using is a full power module. No issues. Sorry I can't help more than that.

cloudflying

Post by cloudflying »

Hrmm... Anyone have a dx4e or 5e for sale? :lol:
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

PM sent
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

cloudflying wrote:I also tried 2 other receivers with the same result.
were these also Orange RXs, or original Spektrum ones?

My guess is simply that the Orange receivers are a bit less sensitive. That wouldn't show up with a high power module in normal conditions, but with the LP4s that already only have about 1/10th of the range of an HP, that could be asking too much...
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

Interesting point. Although a range check is an indirect test of receiver sensitivity (amongst other factors), has anyone ever measured the sensitivity of an Orange receiver. If so, how do they compare to Spektrum "full range" receivers or receivers of other 2.4GHZ brands like FlySky, FrSky, etc?

Ted
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

My next free time project will be to install a dx4e tx module in my sky9x. Reading about this range issue makes me think I should test the dx4e range with several models and brands of RXs I plan to use before disassembly starts.
I'm assuming a low power mode test measurements should hold true.
Is it possible that this short range is because the conversion is in a full time range check mode?
Maybe it could be an antenna issue instead. The coax is very small and depending on the way it connects to the DSM module maybe the connection is the cause?
I have the diode to make a 2.4g field strength meter but seem to never get to it. I wish I had others close that could finish all my intended projects.

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Hippo

Post by Hippo »

Keep in mind that the dx4e has a recall on it right now. Many of them have excessive lockouts in dsm2 mode (how is that different from any spektrum?). Of course I can't send mine in for free repair/update due to having gutted it.

So, check out your dx4e's before taking them apart.

Dan
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Hippo wrote:Keep in mind that the dx4e has a recall on it right now. Many of them have excessive lockouts in dsm2 mode (how is that different from any spektrum?). Of course I can't send mine in for free repair/update due to having gutted it.

So, check out your dx4e's before taking them apart.

Dan
thanks for the info. My tx is still stock but I only have the TX. I'll check the Spektrum web site for details bit what have you herd they do about it? I did buy it from a hobby shop I've used for years used but maybe they can send it back of it comes to that.

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

ShowMaster wrote: ...
I have the diode to make a 2.4g field strength meter but seem to never get to it.
I found a real cheap alternative for that
http://www.ebay.de/itm/WiFi-Finder-Seek ... 1e61ce11b6

Reinhard

Return to “DSM2/DSMX Mods”